Author Topic: Le Mans re- badging  (Read 4904 times)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Le Mans re- badging
« on: April 09, 2016, 05:53:39 PM »
I'm starting work on my 850 Le Mans Mk2 restoration, the bike is absolutely complete and original, jest needs a full pull down and refresh cosmetically from the inside out. Question is, what is the way to go with the tank and side cover badges? They are in OK condition but will doubtless look crappy if re fitted to a freshly painted tank and will destroy the good work there. Is there a method or someone who restores them or are new ones available? I'll be in Mandello next month so will do some checking there, but has anyone got something to contribute? Happy to hear from you guys 'cos I'm clueless.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Le Mans re- badging
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 06:41:48 PM »
must you re-paint it? maybe you could just buff out the original paint?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 08:43:12 PM »
Yeah good try but there's a dent in the tank

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 08:50:19 PM »
And I should re think my comment on originality, I meant the bike is absolutely complete with nothing removed or added, but I think it's been re painted and not perfect colour match. But will be a fantastic project given that nothing is really buggered, just needs a touch up all over. (Don't we all ?)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 08:50:19 PM »

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 09:08:45 PM »
Yeah good try but there's a dent in the tank

Tried a "paint-less dent removal" outfit?

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 10:57:08 PM »
Yeah Cruzzi, again a reasonable suggestion, but dent is too big for that and someone has had a go at it already. Also as mentioned, the colour is not perfect. I saw an original un restored one at a recent rally, and could see the orange tinge in the colour that I remembered from my younger years, mine has a sort of cherry red tinge and I'd like original colour. There is a genius that we have in my vicinity that says no problem to pull the dent out and then lead wipe it, I've seen his work and he's fantastic.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 11:21:11 PM »
in that case have you considered gloss black? all those reddish orange Lemans look the same..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 05:02:52 AM »
No I hadn't but I'll have a look at some images, probably worth consideration. Thanx.

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 02:30:26 PM »
I've done the same with my LM2; I went with VW Tornado red, a nice deep red which suits the bike.
As for the badges, I stripped them and re painted them myself; the key word is patience. ;)

This is my first LM2, owned in the 1980's, which ended up in gloss black to give you an idea of how it looked.
Reproduction isn't too good as it's a scanned photo...no digital in those days ;)

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:44:48 PM by Stevex »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 01:24:26 AM »
OK Stevex, that is a freaking work of art. I'm not convinced on the black mainly 'cos the red looks so damn good. Is gloss black on the frame as per original, and what do I have to learn to get a result like you did on the badges, that's again, remarkable. Finally, what's the procedure to get the rocker cover castings so good ?

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 01:26:08 AM »
Could I possibly see some shots of you bike in the red incarnation ?

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 03:02:02 PM »
Huzo, the black on the frame is gloss powder coat, I do wish I'd gone with original satin, but there you go.
As for the badges, first strip them. The paint comes off easily with standard paint remover, which leaves you with the gold finish.
Then you just need to be slow and methodical, oh, and buy a really nice pointed artist's brush.
If you accidentally put a bit of paint on the top of the lettering's raised portion it's easy enough to wipe it off with a dab of brake cleaner on some kitchen roll.
Once you've started the black you've got to do it all in one go. I used gloss white and black modelling enamel.
The rocker covers were vapour blasted, as were the head and barrels.
This is a pic of the finished bike, but I wasn't happy with the quality of the satin black on the tank and have decided to revert the tank and fairing's satin black back to their original design, keeping the base red and graphics; should be ready to pick up this weekend.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:11:54 PM by Stevex »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 03:06:39 AM »
That looks stunning! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 04:05:46 AM »
That looks stunning! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Look Stevex, I don't know if you've become accustomed to your Mk 2 and so don't appreciate it as much as at first, but that is just bloody gorgeous. Also a mine of info for me to refer to. If you would at your leisure, could you measure the distance from your front axle centre to the bottom of the LOWER fork crown unladen but on it's wheels ? I think mine sits slightly high at the front, does yours ?I know the rear units are correct length so would be a good thing to check next. What paint did you use on your pipes/mufflers, and the frame should be satin you say? Is that satin black or a grey tinge to it? Must be a hundred more questions but I'll try not to wear out my welcome. Thank you. Huzo.

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 12:44:42 PM »
Huzo, frame finish on the original Le Mans and the II was satin black.
My exhaust system was ceramic coated satin black, got to say it's the dogs bollocks.
I'll get back to you on the measurement you need; I take it by 'fork crown' you mean bottom fork yoke?
If you have the original forks fitted, my stanchion tops (not fork caps) are level with the rim of the top fork yoke.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:48:48 PM by Stevex »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 03:07:05 PM »
Thank you very much Stevex, yes I'm referring to the yoke, goes by several names here. I was wondering if the previous owner put a spacer above the fork springs, I will of course check. Was the ceramic coat on the pipes expensive ?

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 04:14:17 PM »
About £120 in UK for a full exhaust system, not sure how that converts to the South Seas Paso.
Worth looking in Oz for a quote though.
For what it's worth I measured my fork springs when I was servicing them last and found they'd compressed (due to age / usage I'd guess...36 years old), so I used a spacer under the springs to take the forks back to approx original pre load.

Offline Bazil

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 04:31:49 PM »
Huzo;

try Jet Hot Coatings in Castlemaine for ceramic coating. They did my headers & flanges in silver , which I think they call Sterling ( sort of aluminium looking though) for around $ 250, including prep work. Satin black should be no problem.There's also a few places in Melbourne that do it.
1986 Lario ( long gone, still missed)
1985 Mark IV Lemans ( Gina)
1991 V40 Targa ( L'il Jeannie)
1962 Royal Enfield Crusader Sports

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 06:01:38 PM »
About �120 in UK for a full exhaust system, not sure how that converts to the South Seas Paso.
Worth looking in Oz for a quote though.
For what it's worth I measured my fork springs when I was servicing them last and found they'd compressed (due to age / usage I'd guess...36 years old), so I used a spacer under the springs to take the forks back to approx original pre load.
Thanx again Stevex, I'll get my "gnat's cock" measuring device out and do some calculations, they're an accurate device rumour has it.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 06:02:40 PM »
Huzo;

try Jet Hot Coatings in Castlemaine for ceramic coating. They did my headers & flanges in silver , which I think they call Sterling ( sort of aluminium looking though) for around $ 250, including prep work. Satin black should be no problem.There's also a few places in Melbourne that do it.
Also thanks to you Bazmeister, I'll give them a call now

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 06:12:11 PM »
Huzo;

Yeah just made the call Baz, he's gunna be the man. $380 for full system start to finish. Nice satin finish like Stevex's, so that can't be bad. Bonus!!!

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here