Author Topic: Why do bike guys appreciate cools cars, but not the other way around?  (Read 5540 times)

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
Re: Why do bike guys appreciate cools cars, but not the other way around?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2020, 10:54:53 PM »
Cool's just a place in your head. If the bike or car gets you there, it's cool to you. That's enough
I love driving my TR6, it isn't fast, or really beautiful, but it feels like it is and it has something. It's cool

73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2020, 06:00:23 AM »
Im both a car, and a bike guy..  Ive been messing with old cars, since I was 6, and started riding mini bikes a year or two after...  I know a lot of car guys.. and all I know "get" bikes to some degree. Most seem to be more scared of them..  Its same, just different. Why do any of us "get" something..  Who knows what throws that switch in our heads to like what we like. Cars I like older stuff, that you need to work at...  Gears to shift, brakes you hope work..  handfull at highway speeds..  Things most people have moved passed in favor of more safe, cushy means of transport. Vary few modern cars interest me. Ya, they can be fast, handle well, and get 20+mpg doing it.. My nephew has a late model camaro, and its a blast with its V8, and six speed...  But give me a old station wagon with a 3 on the tree, and I will enjoy it more..  Bikes...  I love my Guzzi... and a few other brands kinda fill that "cool feeling" in my brain..  But I can enjoy any bike, new and old.. 
Paul B

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2020, 07:16:20 AM »
Many aviation enthusuests also have or at least appreciate motorcycles. Maybe because both have to bank to turn?
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2020, 07:33:36 AM »
My BIL was over a few months ago to show and demo his new C7 Corvette.

Neat car, and after he let me burn up his gas on some of our Bucks County backroads, we were hanging out in the garage. I pointed out my latest bike, the  BMW K75S, "a triple".  To that he said, "What do you mean triple, it only has two wheels".
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2020, 07:33:36 AM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2020, 07:34:53 AM »
Yup, I like em all, from a Farmall H to a Piper cub.

I've been diggin this tractor, cool or not? Problem is I don't have the ground to dig with it.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/grd/d/saint-paul-late-model-international-140/7061646114.html

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 07:37:12 AM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2020, 07:59:38 AM »
My cars, tractors, 4-wheeler, mowers, and chain saws are useful, productive, and (in my case) kinda fun. They are fascinating examples of fine engineering and they make my life easier. However, motorcycles are different. They affect me in a tactile and emotional way. No other motorized transportation is like that, even most aircraft. I did a whole bunch of work on all my friend's muscle-cars in high school, but it was just so I would have somebody to drive me around on weekends. Motorcycles are something else, entirely. They are conveyances, yes; but also a different sort of travel vehicle. They isolate us from sound with loud wind noise; they convey every nuance of weather and aroma, they lean into turns, and more: they add color to one's life.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline roadventure

• Gosling
  • There is no try; There is only do.
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2020, 08:06:56 AM »
Because unfortunately there are too many guys who buy stuff for the “image” they want to project, rather than appreciation of cool internal combustion motorvation! These people are most likely to own harleys and spout lines like “if it ain’t harley it ain’t *#%+”

My comment is along the same lines.  You may find that a great many guys with "cool" cars really don't know anything about them.  They have someone else do the work on them and seldom dirty their hands.  So, if they know nothing about their own cars then (and therefore do not appreciate them) how can you expect them to appreciate the art of your motorcycle?
dave
Millville, DE

"Moto Guzzi....you're never more than 500 miles from your nearest dealer"

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2020, 08:53:26 AM »
I have a fondness for all machines, especially ones that have engines. Boats and bikes are my favorites. Cars, not so much. The car guys I know that don’t have bikes think that bikes are too dangerous.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline PhilB

• Hatchling
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2020, 10:47:42 AM »
Cars, in America at least, are pretty much a universal thing.  *Everybody* drives.  Most people have been involved in the purchase of a car, so they all have at least thought a little about the different aspects of a car, and what they do and look like and so on.

Motorcycles are far less common an experience.  Maybe 10% of Americans ride, and probably less than 25% have even been on a bike at all, even as a passenger.

I was a car nut growing up; my parents drove a pair of Alfa Romeos, and I learned to drive on one.  I knew motorcycles existed, but I didn't know anything about them.  If I saw one, I'd think it was cool, but I couldn't really have a conversation about it beyond that.

I had a moped in high school, but that wasn't exactly an enthusastic experience.  When I was in college, I got more into machines in general.  I had a good friend who was into scooters, and fixed Vespas and Lambrettas.  I had another friend that was into guns.  I developed into a comprehensive gearhead, and have now been into bikes, scooters, cars, planes, tractors, trains, guns, typewriters -- anything with moving parts that goes click, clack, and whirr -- for a few decades.  But before that, it was mostly just cars for me, and I simply didn't have much awareness or knowledge of anything else.

Also, cars are easier to appreciate on an aesthetic level.  The bodywork and interiors and such -- an ordinary person can appreciate those more easily, without *having* to be a gearhead.  So I think for most people, it's just lack of experience and awareness of motorcycles in general.  They don't know what they are missing.

PhilB
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:49:18 AM by PhilB »

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2020, 10:50:14 AM »
My problem is I like anything that moves. Motorcycles cars planes boats bicycle kites ,,,
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2020, 01:48:19 PM »
When I was laid up with my back infection in 2017, my loving wife asked me to consider another hobby when I could walk again. I know she was concerned so I put in a real effort test driving many different sports cars, muscle cars, as well as Jeep Wranglers.

Nothing came close to my love of riding. If I truly had to give up riding I would probably go in an entirely different direction and do more camping, fishing, walking, etc.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline PhilB

• Hatchling
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2020, 03:52:56 PM »
For me, motorcycling and shooting are the sweet spots that combine the greatest joy of doing, with the fascination of gearhead machinery, and an achievable cost.  If I had enough money to do as much as I wanted of anything I liked, then yes, I'd be big into small airplanes, with a fair bit of skydiving thrown in there.  But at a reasonably achievable price point, it's motorcycling and shooting.

The other fun "doing things" things are great, and I do some of them.  The other gearhead machinery things are great, and I maintain an interest in some of them.  But bikes and guns are the things that combine both best.

PhilB

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2020, 06:50:03 PM »
For me, motorcycling and shooting are the sweet spots that combine the greatest joy of doing, with the fascination of gearhead machinery, and an achievable cost.  If I had enough money to do as much as I wanted of anything I liked, then yes, I'd be big into small airplanes, with a fair bit of skydiving thrown in there.  But at a reasonably achievable price point, it's motorcycling and shooting.

The other fun "doing things" things are great, and I do some of them.  The other gearhead machinery things are great, and I maintain an interest in some of them.  But bikes and guns are the things that combine both best.

PhilB

Very interesting comment Phil.   I totally agree with you, as motorcycle nut and a gun nut.   Part of this is the mechanical aspect of the machines involved--a Ducati air-cooled Desmo twin is cool in the same way that a Luger or S&W revolver is cool.

But I think there is another factor at play, at least for me.   Motorcycling and competitive shooting are the two events that most profoundly put me in that selfless, right brain, "flow" state.  I think that's the main appeal for me.   
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2020, 07:54:51 PM »
From SmithSwede:
But I think there is another factor at play, at least for me.   Motorcycling and competitive shooting are the two events that most profoundly put me in that selfless, right brain, "flow" state.  I think that's the main appeal for me.   
You have nailed it. All the above, plus I will add centering and using the perfect thermal in a glider. It is the "Zen" state for the better lack of the word where all movement is not really on the surface conscience, it is just happening and all else in the world is blacked out. :thumb:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2020, 08:17:47 PM »
Well I do regret not buying it.  But I had no use (or room) for an old car for the nostalgia content but I understand the attraction.

I've owned lots of cars, from Muscle Cars (70 Cutlass 442, Buick GNX, Grand Prix) to some Euro models, a couple GTI's, BMW E36 M3,  a slew of Turbo Saab's, etc. But none deliver the visceral feel, connection, or performance of my 912. The 4cyl car is about 200lbs lighter than the 911, and I built the 914 based motor (bumped to 2200cc) to make 150HP at the wheels.  It is not a drag car or in 930 (Turbo) level, but holds its own against other NA 911s of the same vintage, and is a blast on track days. The near 50/50 weight balance with a full tank of fuel makes it far less prone to switch ends in sharp turns if you have to chop speed. Plus it is air cooled and shaft drive  :cool:

This is the first street car I've owned/driven that I can drive at the same speeds in turns as I can on 2 wheels. Such a tremendous car in every way, and the first I love driving as much as I do riding.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:18:30 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2020, 08:31:21 PM »
I've owned lots of cars, from Muscle Cars (70 Cutlass 442, Buick GNX, Grand Prix) to some Euro models, a couple GTI's, BMW E36 M3,  a slew of Turbo Saab's, etc. But none deliver the visceral feel, connection, or performance of my 912. The 4cyl car is about 200lbs lighter than the 911, and I built the 914 based motor (bumped to 2200cc) to make 150HP at the wheels.  It is not a drag car or in 930 (Turbo) level, but holds its own against other NA 911s of the same vintage, and is a blast on track days. The near 50/50 weight balance with a full tank of fuel makes it far less prone to switch ends in sharp turns if you have to chop speed. Plus it is air cooled and shaft drive  :cool:

This is the first street car I've owned/driven that I can drive at the same speeds in turns as I can on 2 wheels. Such a tremendous car in every way, and the first I love driving as much as I do riding.

If I could own an old resto modded sports car, a 912 would be a good one.  A Duetto would likely be my #1.  I mentioned some above.   There are other options such as a Cobra or Lister kit.  I've got the money, room or time for none.  My 'vette is plenty fast daily driver but bikes are more fun than any car. 

I do wish I owned that 912 when I had the chance but then I wouldn't have the bikes or travel trailer and would spend a lot of money to Mr Dumont here in OKC.  And this one was an original 912, not a mid-70s VW powered version.  Amazing how much even 4 cylinders cost with a Stuttgart horse on it.    So I guess I am lucky I didn't get it?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:35:53 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2020, 08:59:02 PM »
If I could own an old resto modded sports car, a 912 would be a good one.  A Duetto would likely be my #1.  I mentioned some above.   There are other options such as a Cobra or Lister kit.  I've got the money, room or time for none.  My 'vette is plenty fast daily driver but bikes are more fun than any car. 

I do wish I owned that 912 when I had the chance but then I wouldn't have the bikes or travel trailer and would spend a lot of money to Mr Dumont here in OKC.  And this one was an original 912, not a mid-70s VW powered version.  Amazing how much even 4 cylinders cost with a Stuttgart horse on it.    So I guess I am lucky I didn't get it?

I'd never be able to buy or own one if I hadn't gotten this one. Basically pulled it out of the woods having been abandoned by the owner for 15 years. Was a total mess, and I got it for $300, and took 6 years to restore. Did a complete tear down and rebuild. Did everything myself with the exception of having the heads reworked, and the final bodywork and paint. I did strip it down to bare metal, re-galvanize and seal with a 2 part epoxy primer. The body shop had the car for a year.... Fit my car in in spare time and did the job for 1/5 the market value.  The guy did a flawless job....

I took the opportunity to do tons of upgrades and customization from adding 4 wheel vented brakes (stock were non vented) Derilin suspension bushings rather than the pressed rubber, lowered to euro ride height, a custom exhaust, hot cam (for broad wide torque) 2200 cc Nikisil  P&C kit, Dellorto Carbs, electronic Ignition, and a series of modern gauges including digital oil temp, head temp, Fuel/Air ratio, volt meter, and a bunch of other stuff.... Was a fun project and 5 years of bargain hunting on craigslist and forums and swap meets.  The motor is sourced from the 914 which was sourced from VW. The 914 crowd are a great bunch (very like Guzzistas) and they have some Pete Roper types that are genius on engine rebuilding and tuning. Couldn't have done it without their help.  **Truth in advertizing, I just looked at the Dyno sheet, it was 135 HP at the wheels, not 150.

No way I would or could buy this straight up.....
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2020, 08:59:31 PM »
It’s interesting to watch motorcycle auctions and comments on Bring a Trailer, the popular classic car auction site.  The average knowledge is not high, and prices are all over the map.  1990 R100GS for $15K anyone?  Meanwhile a 500 Pantah gets as much attention as a bevel 750 Sport, and so on.  Car people are all about looks and image, not so much about understanding, working on or using the vehicle.  It’s why I like bikes and old planes more, and one more reason I prefer older bikes - as new bikes get more like cars, so do the owners of many bike brands.  Superficial vehicle enthusiasm is not my thing.  Guzzi is somewhat of an exception.

Offline harry h

• Hatchling
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2020, 09:15:21 PM »
Harry, I have an 08 C6 with stick.  I drive it every dry day.  Great car.  But it's still just a car.  Most fun of any car I've owned. 

For a thrill, I'll take a bike.

Well the difference might be that I have a 66 BB and it's definitely not just a car, in fact, it's barely a car. :azn:
1972 Eldorado
2016 Eldorado

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2020, 10:09:27 PM »
Interesting Thread. A lot of expected responses for a motorcycle forum we tend to adamantly defend our moto addictions using various kinds of logic as to why motorcycling is indeed better that a car could ever be.

I find no reason to discriminate one from the other. Motorcycles and cars are simply DIFFERENT, and you cannot substitute one for the other.

There is CERTAINLY nothing finer than the first ride of the spring. The smell of the air, the warmth of the sun (assuming there is enough temp on the day to FEEL the warmth of the sun on some Spring Days). In the summer, there is nothing like feeling the temp differential as you glide by bodies of water, and go through an overhanging tree tunnel after coming out of the sun. The fresh air experience of motorcycling is just WAY different than riding in your car.

Both are mechanical, and if you work on your own stuff you will likely see even less separation. Gears are gears, pistons are pistons.

So both share some very interesting mechanicals, whether you talking two cylinders or 12. (And frankly I've said that you don't need more than two cylinders on a motorcycle).

Where cars get interesting is the shape of the body and the beauty of a well-appointed interior. Both aspects are important in separating the wheat from the chaff. A nice shape with a cheap interior just doesn't hit the mark. A nice interior with an ugly body - the same.

Motorcycles just do not have the breadth of diversity that cars do, and while some are breathtaking in their collection of pieces (Brough Superior, Egli Vincent), there is simply not enough SURFACE for a great design to really stand out as in - say - a Ferrari 250 GT Lusso, or even a swoopy Delage. Both of which also have quality interiors.

The PEOPLE are the difference. I love cars, and believe that I'm pretty knowledgeable about them, but most of the time car people like to tell folks that they OWN this or that.

Motorcycle people are simply more "Salt of the Earth". And I love that. Which is a HUGE reason why when I was absent after my accident for several years I eventually came back. It's the PEOPLE, particularly the Guzzi crowd, that I missed. 
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
Ex Quota - parts live on after crash
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

Offline Seventy One

• Hatchling
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2020, 10:38:07 PM »
I stopped being a car guy the day the dealer dropped off my new DR650.

I'd been a life long car enthusiast. I had subscriptions to Hot Rod and Car Craft for 18 years. I owned an '04 Mercury Marauder which was my summer baby. It made it to all the local cruises and car shows and a few national meets. In '09 the state tore the road out past my house (including three small bridges) and it was going to be out/unpaved for at least three years.

On a whim I bought the DR650 just so I could cut through all the road construction. That was it for me.

Since '09 I've put less than 2,000 miles on the Marauder. All my car mag subscriptions ran out 10 years ago. The car is no longer exciting or even interesting. No one has been more shocked by this complete turn around than me.

I still appreciate cars...to a degree. I no longer lust for them.  I now have a Mazda 3 sedan with a 5 speed. It's fun. That's the limit of my automotive enthusiasm. Go figure.

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2020, 09:28:12 AM »
Car people are all about looks and image, not so much about understanding, working on or using the vehicle.

Sound, driving experience, camaraderie of belonging to a car club for racing (Porsche) or offroad adventures (Land Rover), elegant design, working or not working on the vehicle depending on how complex it is or whether you need a very sophisticated computer to fix some items, customizing to one's personal taste...all very much part of being a "car person", not only limited to pure looks and image.

Sounds very similar to what it takes to be a "motorcycle person". 

Now not everyone can afford something special in the car dept. and something special in the motorcycle dept....perhaps some people's personal budget cannot stretch to extremes on both, so they pick one or the other. 

Others just look at cars as basic transportation and aren't enamored with the hunk of metal...fantastic.. ..no problem either.  Who really cares if someone doesn't share your interest, there are hundreds if not thousands of others who do, and you really only need a handful anyway.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2020, 09:34:34 AM »
I've been around a while, and I have never found that to be true to any degree.

I have been around both, and "most" car guys appreciate the mechanical elegance of the moto but consider them too dangerous for serious travel.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 10:26:17 AM by kirby1923 »
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2020, 10:08:58 AM »
I started working on collector cars at age 15 or 16 to make money, initially using that money for my own car.  That was a long time ago, I still own one V12, but over the decades since I’ve not been enamored with car collectors, in general.  There are some interesting people here and there, but after about a zillion times being at some event and wanting to get away from self-impressed and annoying car people, I’ve found that motorcycle people are a lot more enjoyable and interesting.   The new generation of BMW motorcycle people can be spectacularly unimpressive, basically car people on two wheels, but there are still a lot of more interesting people in motorcycles and aircraft.

Motorcycles were my solution to the car people problem years ago, but there are other solutions.  One of the guys I worked for a million years ago started off with Porsches, figured out the porcupine joke had some truth, then tried 1930s Art Deco classics, didn’t like cleaning grass from tire treads to get 100 points, and ended up happily with brass era cars, driving them all over the place (coast to coast), building up ‘new’ ones and so on.  He found the other people doing that to be more up his alley.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 10:47:58 AM by Tusayan »

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2020, 01:05:12 PM »
I've been diggin this tractor, cool or not? Problem is I don't have the ground to dig with it.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/grd/d/saint-paul-late-model-international-140/7061646114.html

That's cool. Got that oddball offset engine and transmission that the smaller Farmalls all had. My grandpa had a Super A. I learned to drive it at age eight.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2020, 03:29:58 PM »
This a deep philosophical question that has been asked, and there have been some good answers.

From my 56 years in the saddle I put forward this proposition.

Many people do not "get" motorcycles. They don't like them, can't see the sense in them and motor cyclists are the great unwashed.  They drive cars.  End of story.
Most motorcyclists have an inherent love of machinery along with their love of motorcycles.  They can like cars, especially specialist makes, with an almost equal passion.

The end.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2020, 04:31:07 PM »
^ Well said Muzz.

I suggest that a cool car or motorcycle is one that solicits a more positive emotional reaction than another model with similar capabilities. Case in point: My 97 F250 Crew Cab, old square body-style, with a 7.3L Turbo-Diesel, two-tone paint, and a Mexican blanket covering the back seat is far cooler than any new truck. I have this on the authority all my daughters' friends who don't give a rip about their parents' newer, more expensive, and (if I am honest with myself) more capable trucks.

My V11 Scura is cool to far more people than is my Stelvio.

It is my opinion that some car people won't let themselves appreciate motorcycles, because their partners won't "let" them have a motorcycle.

I've had a couple cool cars, but lost interest. I appreciate looking at cool cars, but I don't want another one. I only want cool trucks that can carry cool bikes.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2020, 11:09:59 PM »
This a deep philosophical question that has been asked, and there have been some good answers.

From my 56 years in the saddle I put forward this proposition.

Many people do not "get" motorcycles. They don't like them, can't see the sense in them and motor cyclists are the great unwashed.  They drive cars.  End of story.
Most motorcyclists have an inherent love of machinery along with their love of motorcycles.  They can like cars, especially specialist makes, with an almost equal passion.
The end.

I think Muzz nailed it
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:11:22 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2020, 06:41:46 AM »
The discussion on "what is cool" brings to mind two things.  First, it reminds me of Pirsig's discussion on Quality.  My favorite part of the book and the subject of the sub-title (which is completely lost on so many that think it's really a book about motorcycles) which is "An Inquiry into Values".  The second is Tower of Power song "What is Hip"?  BTW-the live version on the red TOP recording is THE definitive version to have.

But to answer the original question, it's because bike guys are cooler than car guys, and know cool where they see it.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2020, 08:29:56 AM »
The unwashed masses do not get excited about a particular model, because to them, all motorbikes look alike. Cars, with their extensive bodywork, have individual identities. If you removed the bodies and just drove around on a rolling chassis, no one would be saying ‘cool mustang.’
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here