Author Topic: Guzzi’s in bmw owners news  (Read 2091 times)

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
Guzzi’s in bmw owners news
« on: December 06, 2019, 04:56:50 PM »
I recently received my recent BMW owners news magazine , yes I know ,don’t pile on yet. However a good article on pg. 46 titled “How many is enough” shows an interesting photo of one riders driveway & I’m assuming  their 4 bikes . Nice mix , R1200r a V Strom & 2 GUZZI’s a Norge in the foreground & an older Guzzi farther back that I can’t be certain of model . Just sayin . :thumb:

oldbike54

Re: Guzzi’s in bmw owners news
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 05:07:19 PM »
 There is quite a bit of overlap between the two brands , even if no one likes admitting it  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 06:03:47 PM »
Yep! They both have wheels, pistons, valves, transmissions, frames, handle bars, lights, wiring etc... Actually they have a lot in common with most motorcycles.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 06:08:53 PM »

There's nothing wrong with being an equal opportunity motorcyclist :evil:

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 06:08:53 PM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 06:22:49 PM »
Yep! They both have wheels, pistons, valves, transmissions, frames, handle bars, lights, wiring etc... Actually they have a lot in common with most motorcycles.

Yeah last time I checked most motorcycles are longitudinal crankshaft, transverse cylinder, twins with shaft drive and often even with dry clutches.

< / Sarcasm >
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 06:30:56 PM »
Yeah last time I checked most motorcycles are longitudinal crankshaft, transverse cylinder, twins with shaft drive and often even with dry clutches.

< / Sarcasm >

Out of the current BMW lineup how many longitudinal crankshaft, transverse cylinder, twins with shaft drive setups do they offer compared to other configurations?

2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 06:33:59 PM »
 I was referring to the riders you two geniuses  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 06:40:41 PM »
I was referring to the riders you two geniuses  :rolleyes:

Dusty

How dare you call KevM and me geniusses'essss………….
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 06:59:33 PM »
Out of the current BMW lineup how many longitudinal crankshaft, transverse cylinder, twins with shaft drive setups do they offer compared to other configurations?

More than any other manufacturer other than Guzzi.

Dusty, thread drift man, thread drift.

Though I dunno there were some pretty stark differences between the BMW riders and the Guzzi riders at the Damn Yankee Rallye the years the Guzzis were invited...

Maybe the airhead guys... They were pretty knuckle dragging...

Guess it's the same old same old... More similar than different in the big picture, more different than similar the closer you get.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 07:16:47 PM »
Or tied with URAL 1:1
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 07:46:42 PM »
 :cool:
There is quite a bit of overlap between the two brands , even if no one likes admitting it  :laugh:

Dusty

Yes some Guzzi owners and BMW airhead owners are just as cheap as each other :P .

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 07:50:12 PM »
Or tied with URAL 1:1

3 wheels do not equal 2
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 07:50:55 PM »
:cool:
Yes some Guzzi owners and BMW airhead owners are just as cheap as each other :P .

Having owned both at the same time , it can cause great inner turmoil  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 07:51:25 PM »
Hey Kev M , most years I’ve gone to Heath it was the “Damp Yankees” rally ! At least the showers keep the dust down .

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 07:57:18 PM »
Hey Kev M , most years I’ve gone to Heath it was the “Damp Yankees” rally ! At least the showers keep the dust down .

I loved the year the GS rider crashed into the Porta potty!
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 08:29:00 PM »
I loved the year the GS rider crashed into the Porta potty!

Let's be honest , that is always a highlight  :laugh:

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 08:51:37 PM »
So I've got a minute... Let me expound.

The MAsshole Guzzi riders would put on a great and welcoming Friday night the years they included Guzzi at the DY rally.

The Guzzi guys would bring in a spread of meats, wine, cheese, bread, meats... And grille... And grille... And the night was long and merry with many a friend old and new. I was new, all the years I went, but always felt welcomed.

The BMW guys would largely go to bed as soon as the sun went down. Or they might sheepishly approach the small but merry band of Interlopers at the center of their encampment. Almost like jackals approaching a pride of lions to see if perhaps the bounty of the kill was so much there would be extra for them.

Never did I feel like there was such a deep divide between the two groups as I did those nights, even though no wall was presented by the Guzzi guys.

It's one rally, one isolated set of anecdotes.

But really there were some nights at the Finger Lakes Rally too, and the Square Root rally... And well I know generalizations suck and you will find a rainbow in most groups.

But maybe, just maybe, those who are drawn so seriously to teutonic engineering are well, fundamentally a little different from those who are drawn to the more whimsical Italian marque.

I just seem to find more BMW guys with sticks up their butts than with their heads in the clouds. I'm not judging, but I am preferring one over the other in general.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 09:27:23 PM »

R1250GS
R1250RT
R1250RS
R1200R (is the R1250R out yet?)
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Online jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2019, 10:05:54 PM »
So I've got a minute... Let me expound.

The MAsshole Guzzi riders would put on a great and welcoming Friday night the years they included Guzzi at the DY rally.

The Guzzi guys would bring in a spread of meats, wine, cheese, bread, meats... And grille... And grille... And the night was long and merry with many a friend old and new. I was new, all the years I went, but always felt welcomed.

The BMW guys would largely go to bed as soon as the sun went down. Or they might sheepishly approach the small but merry band of Interlopers at the center of their encampment. Almost like jackals approaching a pride of lions to see if perhaps the bounty of the kill was so much there would be extra for them.

Never did I feel like there was such a deep divide between the two groups as I did those nights, even though no wall was presented by the Guzzi guys.

It's one rally, one isolated set of anecdotes.

But really there were some nights at the Finger Lakes Rally too, and the Square Root rally... And well I know generalizations suck and you will find a rainbow in most groups.

But maybe, just maybe, those who are drawn so seriously to teutonic engineering are well, fundamentally a little different from those who are drawn to the more whimsical Italian marque.

I just seem to find more BMW guys with sticks up their butts than with their heads in the clouds. I'm not judging, but I am preferring one over the other in general.

Maybe the BMW folks knew that the bagpiper walked at dawn?  Or maybe the Guzzi people didn't care?  My daughter (4 at the time) slept right through it.  I, hungover,  did not.  But I did think it fairly amusing.  This was 2010, by the way.  And yes- the Guzzi folks had a wonderful display of food and drink. 
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2019, 06:34:55 AM »
We knew the bagpiper walked at dawn, we just used all our energy having fun the night before and had none left to lay a trap for him.  :boozing:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2019, 06:37:25 AM »
R1250GS
R1250RT
R1250RS
R1200R (is the R1250R out yet?)

You left out the R9T variants, but it's academic.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2019, 11:33:30 AM »
I do love BMWs. They are clever, well-built machines by my personal experiences. However, the BMW "scene" sorta misses the mark for me. Still, I remember some great times at BMW rallies in Flagstaff, Paonia, and Sipapu...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2019, 01:10:43 PM »
Ok, let's see if I understand correctly. Going to a BMW rally, to fit in, I need to crash early (and not into a port-a-potty) (sounds like that guy had already been partying) leave the red suspenders at home, walk with a stick up my butt and not spend any money.

At a guzzy rally, if we have any anymore, I'm supposed to stay up late partying, have fun, enjoy life, let it all hang out, and park my bike in a flood zone.  :evil:

I like what Kev said about similarities at a distance, differences up close. For some reason I get the idea that beemer riders tend to be conservative while Guzzisti are more adventurous. I'd never thought of it before, but it does make sense - Guzzis do require an adventurous outlook on life.

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2019, 01:20:18 PM »
 Yeah boy , you should hear the ruckus being kicked up at Cedar Vale every night at midnight , it is almost deafening , sounds like a bunch of bears in hibernation because of the snoring , and worse  :laugh:

The ability or desire to stay up late is probably age related , hell , I was always a night owl until the age of 63 , now a nice warm bed looks pretty appealing about 10:pm  :tongue:

Dusty

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2019, 01:54:00 PM »
I was a long time BMW owner, the first one was an R50/2. Good bike in Ct but lacking in power and handling when I wound up in Colo. I bought the first R75/5 that came to Denver. I considered an Ambassador but the Beemer was a little more sporting, I was in my 20's. Anyway I joined the BMW Club of Colo. We had some pretty good rallies which I enjoyed. Then I moved to Calif and the only rally I attended was local which I helped organize was primarily a Harley rally. It was a good time with a lot of fun events including firing a howitzer that shot bowling balls.

Then I moved to where I am now. There is a BMW rally held here every year. I attended the first year I was here, I hate to say it but I was bored out of my mind. The rides were mainly how fast they could go and how quickly the could ride the route. The only one I ever went to. There have been a couple of Norton rallies here too, I have gone to those to check out the bikes but haven't participated. The BMW rally won't let you in unless you purchase a ticket.

Anyway I got my Guzzi in July and found that the Northern Nevada Campout would be held in Sept. I couldn't wait to go and meet other Guzzi owners but I was a bit apprehensive though. When I pulled in I was immediately greeted like a long lost friend and with all kinds of questions about my bike, Audace, not a common model. The Friday afternoon and evening was great getting to know everybody and swapping stories etc. We had a great ride, some fantastic scenery and visited a shop where antique aircraft were restored. That evening we had a great meal, blackened salmon and all the fabulous sided. I took a picture of my plate and sent it to my wife. She wanted to know what restaurant I was in.   :food:  It was better than a restaurant. Then we all ate desert, treats and drank from a bottle of Italian liquor that was passed around. I don't remember what it was though. I don't remember, no I don't know what time we turned in but it was late or maybe real early but the sun wasn't up.   :evil: 

The next morning we had a killer breakfast. Then we had to sadly pack up and hit the road. I have to say it was the best mini rally I have been to and I am looking forward to next year as well as another local Guzzi rally nearby. I am considering the national as well but we will see on that one. I also have a trip to Idaho tentatively planned with a couple guys I met at the Campout. Maybe I should have bought that Ambassador after all.     :thumb:
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here