Author Topic: I'm starting to envy the Australians  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
I'm starting to envy the Australians
« on: August 02, 2019, 06:05:19 AM »
I've spent the last three days filling in, proof-reading, amending, reproof-reading and re-amending an application for a visa for China. Every time I have to enter a UK address I scroll through virtually all the countries in the world until I finally reach "United Kingdom". It's even worse for those who have to find "United States", and as for the Virgin Islands...... Oh to be Australian.
Still, without getting political about the pros and cons, if Brexit does lead to the breakup of the Union, England won't be too far down the list.

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
Re: I'm starting to envy the Australians
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 07:59:37 AM »

Yeah, although we're pompous, arrogant and rude, I always thought we should be at the top of those lists as we all refer to ourselves as Americans.
 They don't listen to me.

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 08:16:06 AM »
Anyplace where I need to select country, I've just gotten into the habit of going straight to the bottom of the list and working my way up. :laugh:

John Henry

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 09:24:02 AM »
You think THAT's bad ... I live in Virginia, it's ALWAYS three pages down on the drop-down list ....
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 09:24:02 AM »

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 09:25:09 AM »
Ten years ago when the drop down choice appeared in US adverts the USA choice was at the top, followed by all others in alphabetic sequence.

Guess it's since been judged politically correct that we are now in step with the alphabetic arrangement used elsewhere. Damn convenience for the major marketplace of the world.  :evil:
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 11:06:16 AM »
I feel your pain.
I just can't seem to find 'Merica, anywhere....

kjf

ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 11:40:39 AM »
 My surname's toward the bottom of the alphabetical list too. When being called forward for anything I've always had to wait for all the bloody MacWhatevers and Smiths to go first.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 12:30:07 PM »
My surname's toward the bottom of the alphabetical list too. When being called forward for anything I've always had to wait for all the bloody MacWhatevers and Smiths to go first.

That doesn't seem right.   How come "Smith" gets to go ahead of "Pootle"?

Lannis

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 02:25:46 PM »
That doesn't seem right.   How come "Smith" gets to go ahead of "Pootle"?

Lannis
Pootle's my first name.

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 02:34:39 PM »
Boy.....talk about First World Problems!
Sheesh.

Even if labeled as a rant, this hardly registers on my concern-o-meter.  :evil:
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 02:58:45 PM »
Sometimes you can type the first letter and jump to that section of the list.  If the programmer followed standard practices.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 03:04:17 PM »
Pootle's my first name.

That's all right then.

I'll tell you about an even BIGGER problem, and that is that the waiter in a restaurant will often not tell you whether HE will take your bill and credit card and process it and bring it back, or whether YOU are supposed to take it up front and pay.   It leads to lost time and embarrassment and misunderstandings.

And THEN there's the thing when there's a jar of York Peppermint Patties at the front counter of the restaurant at $.25 each, but you don't know whether you're supposed to pay the cashier or put the money in a jar, they get upset if you do it the wrong way ...

Life gets so complicated ...

Lannis

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 03:51:50 PM »
Really?  THAT's why you envy the Aussies?

You need to get out more...
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 07:16:52 AM »
Really?  THAT's why you envy the Aussies?

You need to get out more...
There's no other possible reason.

pete roper

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2019, 07:52:42 AM »
Oh there are many! But getting back to the original problem you could start a movement to amend the constitution and change the name of the United States of America to Aardvark Land. That would put you right up the top of the list! :evil:

Pete

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2019, 12:11:56 PM »

You could always change your moniker by deed poll to Aaron Aardvark.  I'm sure that'd help.

Yeah, although we're pompous, arrogant and rude, I always thought we should be at the top of those lists as we all refer to ourselves as Americans.
 They don't listen to me.

Paul B :boozing:

Surely if you were to describe yourselves as "American", then the form would by necessity be in Spanish as there's almost a 3:1 (actually 7:3) Latino to Caucasoid & others ratio.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 12:26:18 PM by Knuckle Dragger »
Severus bastardis

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2019, 03:18:48 PM »

Surely if you were to describe yourselves as "American", then the form would by necessity be in Spanish as there's almost a 3:1 (actually 7:3) Latino to Caucasoid & others ratio.

Where did you find that statistic, and what is it based on? 

I found this after a short search that contradicts what you posted.

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2019, 03:26:33 PM »

He's possibly referring to the fact that the two continents (North and South) both have "American" in their name.

However, it would be unlikely that an Uruguayan, Bolivian, or Peruvian responding to a European border guard's request for "Nationality, please?" would respond "American".

Lannis

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2019, 04:10:40 PM »
or how about Armadillia - since Texas is the largest state (except for that frozen northland appendage to Canada).  Perhaps we could swap everything South of the Saint Lawrence River..hmmm.   

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2019, 04:15:05 PM »
That’s ok mate...
Everyone does.

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2019, 08:14:37 PM »

I found this after a short search that contradicts what you posted.

Simple arithmetic.  No stats needed.  It's simply the proportion of Latino speakers in relation to the "anglophone, francophone & others" collective minority.

You surely don't subscribe to the theory that "the Americas" (itself a Spanish loanword) refers to only a single nation-state? That's ludicrously simplistic cultural arrogance in extremis. A bit like saying the crews of the Nino, Pinto & Santa Maria "discovered" America by landing in downtown Manhattan or North Carolina! 

There's about 3/4 of a billion Latinos (740,000,000 actually, compared to 315,000,000 non-latinophones) there in case you hadn't noticed.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 08:45:46 PM by Knuckle Dragger »
Severus bastardis

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2019, 09:06:26 PM »
Simple arithmetic.  No stats needed.  It's simply the proportion of Latino speakers in relation to the "anglophone, francophone & others" collective minority.

You surely don't subscribe to the theory that "the Americas" (itself a Spanish loanword) refers to only a single nation-state? That's ludicrously simplistic cultural arrogance in extremis. A bit like saying the crews of the Nino, Pinto & Santa Maria "discovered" America by landing in downtown Manhattan or North Carolina! 

There's about 3/4 of a billion Latinos (740,000,000 actually, compared to 315,000,000 non-latinophones) there in case you hadn't noticed.

So, basically take your word for it?  OK now I understand the name. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2019, 11:35:29 PM »
So, basically take your word for it?  OK now I understand the name.

Only if you want to.  Or you could maybe look it up yourself....  it's not that difficult.  Pretend all you wish - stats can (& have) been manipulated to agree with just about any spurious assertion.  Nevertheless, the 3/4 billion Americanos with a Latino lingua franca are a pretty compelling proportion.  You surely don't assert they no longer exist?

There's only about 1,500,000,000 anglophones in the ENTIRE WORLD, or roughly 20%.  Of these, only around 360,000,000 actually use English as a "first language". They don't all live in the Americas either:  a mere 250,000,000 actually do, of an approximate 1 billion total population!  But please don't take my word for it... look it up yourself. 

Thank you for casting aspersions about my nom-de-plume.  How original and droll!  The suggestive innuendo is noted:  it's infantile & pathetic.  Doing so actually highlights the tenuous nature of your own argument.  The last line of defense in a weak & unconvincing thesis.  Personal slights are demeaning to both the victim and perpetrator.

Debate the issue by all means.  Attack my argument if you wish.  Rip it to shreds.  Tell me I'm talking arrant nonsense.  Deny my numbers if you can.  But please don't descend into playground politics.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 12:01:17 AM by Knuckle Dragger »
Severus bastardis

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2019, 08:44:58 AM »
Only if you want to.  Or you could maybe look it up yourself....  it's not that difficult.  Pretend all you wish - stats can (& have) been manipulated to agree with just about any spurious assertion.  Nevertheless, the 3/4 billion Americanos with a Latino lingua franca are a pretty compelling proportion.  You surely don't assert they no longer exist?

There's only about 1,500,000,000 anglophones in the ENTIRE WORLD, or roughly 20%.  Of these, only around 360,000,000 actually use English as a "first language". They don't all live in the Americas either:  a mere 250,000,000 actually do, of an approximate 1 billion total population!  But please don't take my word for it... look it up yourself. 

Thank you for casting aspersions about my nom-de-plume.  How original and droll!  The suggestive innuendo is noted:  it's infantile & pathetic.  Doing so actually highlights the tenuous nature of your own argument.  The last line of defense in a weak & unconvincing thesis.  Personal slights are demeaning to both the victim and perpetrator.

Debate the issue by all means.  Attack my argument if you wish.  Rip it to shreds.  Tell me I'm talking arrant nonsense.  Deny my numbers if you can.  But please don't descend into playground politics.

You don't site sources which makes you another argumentive person trying to dazzle with unsupported "facts".  Do you work in publishing or public relations?
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2019, 10:14:49 AM »
You don't site sources
Cite
             Argumentative
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 10:16:44 AM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2019, 10:19:05 AM »
I've spent the last three days filling in, proof-reading, amending, reproof-reading and re-amending an application for a visa for China. Every time I have to enter a UK address I scroll through virtually all the countries in the world until I finally reach "United Kingdom". It's even worse for those who have to find "United States", and as for the Virgin Islands...... Oh to be Australian.
Still, without getting political about the pros and cons, if Brexit does lead to the breakup of the Union, England won't be too far down the list.
What if you lived in Zanzibar ?

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2019, 02:51:46 PM »
Cite
             Argumentative

Try typing on a phone.   :laugh:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2019, 02:57:38 PM »
One last thing for Mr. Knuckle to think about.

People of the United States of America are called Americans.
People of Canada are called Canadians.
People of Mexico are called Mexicans.

People of North America are North Americans.

Same as South America.  No one there identifies as American.  They identify with their country and then South America.

Same for the countries that make up Europe and the rest of the continents.

Entonces, mételo en tu pipa y fúmalo.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2019, 03:08:41 PM »
One last thing for Mr. Knuckle to think about.

People of the United States of America are called Americans.
People of Canada are called Canadians.
People of Mexico are called Mexicans.

People of North America are North Americans.

Same as South America.  No one there identifies as American.  They identify with their country and then South America.

Same for the countries that make up Europe and the rest of the continents.

Entonces, mételo en tu pipa y fúmalo.

This ^
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2019, 05:06:48 AM »
Mr Drager, sorry I don’t know you well enough to call you by your first name. I have a confession to make, as it would appear that I may have misinterpreted the meaning of your name. I noted that you put your location as south island of Oz. I naturally assumed you were talking about Tasmania or as it was originally known Van Diemen’s Land (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Diemen%27s_Land) . As this was the name given by the Dutch explorer Abel Tasman in 1692, I simply assumed you may have had Dutch heritage. From there it was a logical jump for me to make to this:
Draeger Name Meaning -North German (also Dräger) and Dutch: occupational name, from Middle Low German dreger, drager, Middle Dutch drager ‘porter’, ‘carrier’; sometimes ‘guarantor’, ‘negotiator’. North German, occupational name for a wood turner, Middle Low German dreyer, dreger. ( https://www.ancestry.com.au/name-origin?surname=draeger )

As for your first name I again made some unfortunate assumptions. I concluded that since the English colonised Van Diemen’s Land in 1798, which was to become known as Tasmania, and become part of Australia in 1901 upon federation, you may have had English heritage. As most of you would know, but I will mention for clarity, Knuckles is an old Norman name.
Knuckles History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Knuckles is one of the many names that the Normans brought with them when they conquered England in 1066. The name Knuckles came from the given name Nicholas. Nicholas derives from the Greek Nikolaos, which is made up of the words nikan, meaning to conquer, and laos, meaning people. ( https://www.houseofnames.com/knuckles-family-crest )

Therefore I jumped to the conclusion that that in an effort to blend the English and Dutch heritage the “S” was simply dropped from the Knuckles. As for the extra “G” in your last name it was very common for non-english names to be misspelt upon arrival to the colony. This was often the case with names that had accents above the letters as these were not in common use in the English language. I simply thought that you were a man proud of your heritage and was shocked that others may try and imply otherwise.

Steve

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here