Author Topic: Two MG newbie questions  (Read 4772 times)

Offline n9iz

• New Egg
Two MG newbie questions
« on: April 25, 2016, 09:34:37 AM »
So far all advice has been most helpful and not condescending at all.  So, I have a couple questions I'm wanting to work out.

1. Is there an ideal cruising RPM I should shoot for on the Norge?  I'm usually only running about 60 MPH on the highway and try to stay up in sixth gear for good mileage.  This equates to around 3200 or a bit more it the tach is correct.  Maybe I'm just brainwashed from driving cars all these year where low RPM is pretty much the way to go.  Bike seems to be just lagging along, almost a little bogged down.  Maybe it's just my perception, still being new to this bike, but it feels better in fifth gear running closer to 4000 revs.  Experts, please offer up your best advice.

2. I know this is billed as a sport/touring, but it feels like it's beating me to death.  Is this normal for a Norge?  I can definitely feel a bit of read-weariness after a half hour of riding.  Maybe I'm just a big old sissy since I don't ride all that much?  I have all the baseline settings in the manual for front/rear adjustment and don't know where the current ones fall in as of yet.  Thinking I might start with the front and set to midway point and go from there.  My wrists would definitely be happier if the suspension was absorbing more of the jolt than my arms.  I realize that suspension settings are a bit subjective and personal.  My riding style pretty casual and not very aggressive.  Mostly two-lane for low use highway at 65 MPH and below, only occasionally with a passenger or any significant load.  Curious to see some responses.

Thanks for your help so far.  All the best.

Jeff

Offline sbaker

• Gaggle Hero
  • Piaggio Stock Holder
Re: Two MG newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 09:39:10 AM »
Hello;

32 is a bit low... The Norge likes to RUN... If you are only going to go 60 stay in 5th... It will keep your Revs up and closer to the 5K "Kick in the pants" point.  Yes 4k is a better point to cruise from. Then you can jump to 6th.. BUT you may also be going 80 :) !!!!!
Sam
Dallas, TX

AGATT

Hey Check out my CD www.cdbaby.com/bakersam

Current
Norge Wing: White Squadron
Ducati 900ss

Previous
Griso Wing: Yellow Squadron (shot down 3/11)
2008 Norge - Red... fastest of the 2V
1975 Convert + Sidecar - Fun
2004 California EV Touring

Offline sbaker

• Gaggle Hero
  • Piaggio Stock Holder
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 09:40:26 AM »
As for the suspension.. YES!!! You have to adjust it for you. But you should not be jarred.. it is too stiff..
Sam
Dallas, TX

AGATT

Hey Check out my CD www.cdbaby.com/bakersam

Current
Norge Wing: White Squadron
Ducati 900ss

Previous
Griso Wing: Yellow Squadron (shot down 3/11)
2008 Norge - Red... fastest of the 2V
1975 Convert + Sidecar - Fun
2004 California EV Touring

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 09:40:42 AM »
The Norge, like most Guzzis will be happy around 4200. Your gut feeling is right, you are lugging it.

It should definitely *not* be beating you up. The Norge is a comfy mile eater. Maybe you have too much spring preload front and back? Search the net for setting up sport bike suspension. Get the sag right first. Report back, and then we'll talk about compression and rebound damping.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 09:40:42 AM »

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 09:41:45 AM »
You're lugging the engine doing 60mph in 6th gear.  You should be in 4th gear, these bikes need to rev!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 09:42:18 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

lucydad

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 09:45:43 AM »
Not a Norge owner, but every Guzzi I have heard of loves around 5000 rpm.  Don't lug the engine!  Wind her up!

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 10:06:44 AM »
How much you get beat-up depends on your riding style.

Since I've ridden horses some, mountain bicycles a fair amount and road bicycles a lot, I tend to ride my Griso like a mountain bicycle / jumping horse.  My arms are relaxed and my back is carrying part of the forward lean load.  I crouch over larger bumps and getting off the seat a little for the bigger bumps / dips.

On longer rides I get off the bike every hour to hour & 1/2.

Still I must admit that I've worked up to my present 6 1/2 hr riding range.  On the Griso it's the head buffet that wears me out.  Especially at 85 mph when I'm just keeping up with California freeway traffic.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 10:17:28 AM »
The Norge, like most Guzzis will be happy around 4200.
:1:
4200 is my Magic Number!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:18:55 AM by Xlratr »
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

redrider

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 12:19:10 PM »
Ditto on revs. I use 3rd around town up to about 50. 6th when above 75-80. You will adapt to it quickly. I used the GoStar Racing website to set up suspension. It really transformed the bikes I ride that have adjustable bits.

twowings

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 03:04:55 PM »
My '08 likes to be at 65+ mph for sixth gear...I drop to 5th whenever extended running at 45-65 mph is called for...if you have an Owner's Manual, the instructions for setting pre-load/damping are in there...set it for comfort when riding solo and adjust as necessary for two-up/luggage when touring...

BTW, I know what you are talking about when you mention the 'sweet spot' for cruising in an automoblle, but for this engine 3900/4400 rpm is ideal...

Offline radlefty

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 04:50:53 PM »
I agree with all the previous comments about revs and suspension. What types of bikes have you ridden before? On a sport-tourers like the Norge I think it's important to ride more with your core and legs. There's a reason the tank is shaped the way it is. It helps in griping it more with your legs and as not-fishing mentioned, you want to keep your arms relaxed with spine and back in a slightly forward lean.
It's alway's about the journey... Wherever you go, there you are.

Bikeless in Mpls

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 06:47:49 PM »
Mine tends to shift gears even smoother @ around 5,000 vs 3,500

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 07:06:47 PM »
:1:
4200 is my Magic Number!

:1: 4200 on my 2012 Stelvio. In 5th I'm usually doing about 75mph at 4200/4300 rpm. In my first attempt at passing my brother-in-law and a car in front of him going about 45mph on CA Hwy 1, I goosed it then shifted to 5th and got past them and pulled back into my lane. I looked at the spedo and it read 90mph and I vaguely noticed a blinking red light on the dash.... "what was that"? I later found it was the rev-limiter. I wasn't at all trying to go that fast. The 1200 8v scoots right along. I only use 6th if I'm riding at 80mph or above.
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 07:30:25 PM »
Is the flashing red light a shift indicator or a limiter, will the bike rev higher once the light begins to flash ? I suspect so, because that shift threshold can be re set in the menu, I wouldn't rely on it as a limiter !

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 07:37:12 PM »
Is the flashing red light a shift indicator or a limiter, will the bike rev higher once the light begins to flash ? I suspect so, because that shift threshold can be re set in the menu, I wouldn't rely on it as a limiter !

You're right Huzo, I meant shift indicator and it was at the factory setting. The bike wasn't over-revving and felt good and had some left if I wanted to push it.

Thanks for the correction. :boozing:
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

pete roper

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 08:04:56 PM »
Rev limiter is set at 8,200 ex-factory I believe. Mine is set at 8,500, Mark has his at 9,000. Its a strong motor. The rods, though heavy are deadly! Really top notch stuff in the 8V.

As for cruising? My thing feels happy anywhere from 2,800 through to 8+. Problem is Plod doesn't like me if he catches me up there! :evil: What I really like is the roll on performance from around 4,000 in any gear. Just like a big rubber band connected to the horizon. Wait until it goes 'Blurp! Blurp! Blurp! and grab the next gear. Do that and you're grabbing 6th at about 220kph :copcar:

Pete

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 08:50:18 PM »
Yeah, be careful using that top gear, the Norge likes to stretch her legs and if yours is like mine the 6th gear sweet spot is about 90mph.  If you don't pay attention you will be getting driving awards left and right. In town getting away from red lights can surprise you too..  if you get on it realize that if the light is blinking you are way over 60mph at your second shift..  I took me a while to realize that just because I was feeling safe and comfortable didn't mean I wasn't doing double the speed limit.
Don't listen to the guys that say it doesn't blink the shift indicator in 6th..  it does..  I swear.
The thing I found funniest about mine is that at 105+mph and up it just gets dead quiet.  I can hear the tappets clicking and the tires rolling on the pavement.  It's sort of spooky.  Feels rock solid and has plenty of oomph left but swish... 
Watch your gas mileage, you might be surprised.  At 60mph I get better mpg in 4th or 5th gear than 6th.  the 'puter mileage is not accurate but it is pretty repeatable so it is a good yardstick.
And yeah, it hasn't been mentioned but have you been out at night yet?  gotta love those lights..
I have no problem at all with the suspension being stiff, but I am 6' 300 lbs, so you might want to dial the suspension down a bit.  Don't dial it down too far or you'll be dragging the stand on left turns when two up.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:51:05 PM by atavar »
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 09:03:17 PM »
O yeah, either learn to control your right hand or be prepared to buy lots of rear tires.  I whined about all the tires I went through for a while until a friend pointed out that I was lifting the front wheel 3" at every stop light.  I didn't believe him until leaving one stop light the front wheel didn't touch a pothole that the rear wheel hit..  I've toned it down and the back tire lasts a lot longer. 

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 12:51:08 AM »
Does my '07 2V Norge, have a rev limiter as well as the shifter light? I have seen the light blink a couple of times , but never yet bumped a limiter that I know of.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 05:31:30 AM »
Huzo, yes your '07 has a rev limiter. 8 grand is about where it will cut in. As for the shift light, they are set at a very conservative rpm from the factory. You can get in there and change when it will start to flash. (That does not change when the limiter cuts in, just the notification on the dash.)

Jeff, as I'm not sure if your bike is new or not, that too has some bearing on your question. I agree with all the advise given, but would add that a new, low mileage engine is even more finicky at low rpm's than a engine with some miles on it. So, like others, drop a gear if doing 60.

As for feeling beat up after a long ride, it may be a combination of things. When I had my Norge, the stock windshield worked very well as long as I had both hands on the bars. If I took one hand off to relax, the air flow would start to beat me up. The remedy was an aftermarket windshield that was just a little taller, but more importantly, wider at the top where the stock one tapers down. That alone made a huge difference.

John Henry

Offline n9iz

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2016, 08:50:46 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  You all seem to confirm my suspicions regarding cruising speed and comfort.  I'll give it a go running fourth or fifth gear on the highway and save sixth for the interstate (which I don't much care to ride on).  For being nine years old, it only has 2100 miles on it.  Four or five hundred are mine.  I'm still babying it a little as it seems to be in great shape and I want to keep it that way.  Will also check out the suggestions for dialing in suspension.  I think the weather is getting ready to turn for the worse, so I'll just report back later if things have improved.  Regards.

Jeff

twowings

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2016, 11:29:29 AM »
The windshield thing is an easy fix:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Norgeprod.html

If you look at the Cedar Vale NAR pics, you will see a beautiful '08 Silver Norge with the CalSci windshield on it....it looks great and Paul told me it made a real difference in the wind diversion....YMMV

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2016, 01:10:22 PM »
I have the CalSci windscreen on my Norge. 
What I found is that for one up riding the stock windscreen is amazing, I can smoke at 40mph or more. MG did an amazing job in the wind tunnel.
 The reason I got the CalSci was for my pillion.  She complained of much turbulence immediately behind my walrus shaped person.  The CalSci made a big difference for her. 

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2016, 03:39:36 PM »
  "I am the eggman
   they are the eggman
   I am the walrus
   goo goo g'joob"

Oh damn , I am soooooo sorry , couldn't help myself  :embarrassed:

Dusty

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2016, 04:20:43 PM »
There might have been drugs involved..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2016, 04:43:04 PM »
or mass quantities of alcohol....   :boozing:

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2016, 04:44:50 PM »
  "I am the eggman
   they are the eggman
   I am the walrus
   goo goo g'joob"

Oh damn , I am soooooo sorry , couldn't help myself  :embarrassed:

Dusty

But wait............... ..... If you act in the next 10 minutes, you'll get not one but two, count em, two for the same incredible low price. Use code BR549. Ask for operator 187900648564883489

Just pay separate shipping and processing.
Not valid with any other offers.
Dealer stock may vary.
Local taxes and laws apply.

John Henry

pete roper

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 04:50:30 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  You all seem to confirm my suspicions regarding cruising speed and comfort.  I'll give it a go running fourth or fifth gear on the highway and save sixth for the interstate (which I don't much care to ride on).  For being nine years old, it only has 2100 miles on it.  Four or five hundred are mine. I'm still babying it a little as it seems to be in great shape and I want to keep it that way.  Will also check out the suggestions for dialing in suspension.  I think the weather is getting ready to turn for the worse, so I'll just report back later if things have improved.  Regards.

Jeff

Well stop babying it! The rings will never bed properly and next we'll be reading about how you've got a high idle and lots of oil in the airbox! One gear higher than you usually would and large throttle openings please!

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2016, 05:08:34 PM »
Huzo, yes your '07 has a rev limiter. 8 grand is about where it will cut in. As for the shift light, they are set at a very conservative rpm from the factory. You can get in there and change when it will start to flash. (That does not change when the limiter cuts in, just the notification on the dash.)

John Henry
Thanks Zoomie, I did not know I had a limiter, although I once swapped bikes with a " mate" who owns a Hyabusa, at his suggestion I gave it a touch up and with a sniff of throttle shot up to 270 k's, when we stopped he asked me what the "red flashing light" was at about 170 or so, I asked him did he grab another gear ? He said "I didn't bother trying 'cos I was sure it would only have five"!!!!!!! Now only one other person than me rides it.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2016, 05:11:42 PM »
Tell you the truth, once you find it a couple of times and your ear gets tuned into when it happens, you will shift just before it most of the time regardless of the light on the dash.

John Henry

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here