Author Topic: computer advice needed  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
computer advice needed
« on: February 08, 2017, 09:17:38 PM »
Can anyone tell me how to un enroll from chrome?
I am getting tired of the incessant intrusions.  Today it offered an upgrade and when I refused, my screen moved to the left about an inch so that I could not use the red kill button at the upper left.  It would not let me move the screen back to its' original position.  I went off wifi and cleaned the memory but when I came back on line the screen was still over to the left an inch.  I went off the net several times and did a force quit of chrome.  I came back on line with safari and thought it was cured.  If I tried to click on an address like some of you post, It would go there but it would default to chrome and the screen would be back an inch to the left.  I have been refusing their upgrades for many months.
 I believe this is their way of punishing me for doing so.  I can manually copy an address one letter at a time and go there
and stay in safari but I have to be watchful as google tries to default to chrome any chance it gets.
 I need a way to uninstall chrome permanently.
 Any advice?
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: computer advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 09:22:17 PM »
find it (chrome) in your Applications folder on the hard drive, drag it to trash then empty trash.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 10:19:50 PM »
Get an Apple PC. I've repeatedly been told that they are perfect.

What is the Safari you speak of?

Oh....wait.....
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 10:49:16 PM »

Oh....wait.....
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 10:49:16 PM »

Moto

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 10:52:25 PM »
Fotoguzzi's advice to trash it should work.

You might also succeed by just starting Safari, opening the Preferences item under the Safari menu, and then setting Safari as your default browser.

If that fails, by all means get a Mac!

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 11:22:45 PM »

You might also succeed by just starting Safari, opening the Preferences item under the Safari menu, and then setting Safari as your default browser.

This is happening on a Mac.  I have owned 5 Macs now, they are not invulnerable.

I look in preferences,  I do not see a way to reset which is my default browser.  I looked at all the preferences pages.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 11:28:41 PM by Sasquatch Jim »

Kentktk

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 11:26:56 PM »
Get an Apple PC. I've repeatedly been told that they are perfect.

Oh....wait.....

That is correct!  BTW PC refers to anything using the devils ( sometimes referred to as Microsoft ) operating system. An Apple is not a PC.

Kentktk

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 11:28:36 PM »
This is happening on a Mac.  I have owned 4 Macs now, they are not invulnerable.

I look in preferences,  I do not see a way to reset which is my default browser.  I looked at all the preferences pages.

Look in Chrome preferences to choose your browser

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 11:32:06 PM »
 Jim , this must be some issue with Apple computers , I've been running Chrome on all of my old computers with zero problems , all running MS operating systems .

Dusty

Moto

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 11:39:28 PM »
This is happening on a Mac.  I have owned 5 Macs now, they are not invulnerable.

Sorry. I was trying to jest. I figured it was a Mac.

There is a System Preferences item under the Apple menu (with the picture of an apple). That's NOT the one you need.

The Preferences pane you need is Under the Safari menu in Safari. The very first item in that menu lets you set the browser preference.

It should also be possible to set the browser preference using the Preferences item under the Chrome menu, in Chrome. But this doesn't seem to work with my version of Chrome (v. 56). So I'd recommend doing it within Safari, as in the last paragraph.

Good luck.

BTW, I'm using Chrome right now, with no particular problems. But Safari also is good.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 11:54:06 PM »
I agree with the guys saying to get a mac.  Nothing ever goes wrong with macs.  Someone said that in this very forum once, 16 thousand times.  So it must be true.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 01:30:59 AM »
That is correct!  BTW PC refers to anything using the devils ( sometimes referred to as Microsoft ) operating system. An Apple is not a PC.

Sorry, on this you are wrong.

PC stands for "personal computer". It was also used as a trade name by IBM and is commonly used to describe personal computers that used first CP/M and later DOS, OS/2 and Windows operating systems, and for a while was used to distinguish (incorrectly) Intel-based systems from those using non-Intel architecture chips. The term was used to separate these machines from small multi-user systems such as the PDP 11 series, -, Tandem, Xerox's Star series, and so on.

However, since everything old is new again, both Apple and non-Apple systems are now running Intel architecture CPUs. You can run Linux and Windows on a machine with the Cupertino logo, and you can run Linux and OS X on a machine from Dell, HP, or Lenovo (courtesy of Hackintosh, a tool to make the Apple OS 'see' the hardware as valid).

Macs (and both their ancestors and descendants) are PCs. ThinkPads are PCs, and so are Dells, HPs, Acers, and the machine you build for yourself using an MSI board and parts from Tiger Direct. So are all other general purpose small systems designed for use primarily by a single person at a time.

And yes, the famous Cray supercomputers have often, correctly, been called PCs. They're just the biggest, most expensive, dedicated single user computers ever built.  :evil:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 06:22:54 AM »
Firefox? It should prompt you about default browsers when you are done.

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 09:42:15 AM »
Look in Chrome preferences to choose your browser

Or you can also find a <Default web browser> option at the top of Safari's first Preference menu.  It may seem weird to tell Safari to set itself as the default for other applications that invoke a browser, and I'm sure not going to experiment with it myself, but I bet a quarter it works.

I do use Chrome occasionally, mostly for Google Map which is broken enough on their own browser.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 09:43:43 AM by donn »

Offline uncle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 10:16:50 AM »

Go to 'System Preferences' -  then select 'General' -  about half way down it the 'Default web browser' select Safari....
Ever onward...

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 10:51:12 AM »

If he has Safari he has a Mac.
It is also good to remove bookmarks and history as described in this link.
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95319?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:53:48 AM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Kentktk

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 11:02:01 AM »
Sorry, on this you are wrong.

PC stands for "personal computer". It was also used as a trade name by IBM and is commonly used to describe personal computers that used first CP/M and later DOS, OS/2 and Windows operating systems, and for a while was used to distinguish (incorrectly) Intel-based systems from those using non-Intel architecture chips. The term was used to separate these machines from small multi-user systems such as the PDP 11 series, -, Tandem, Xerox's Star series, and so on.

However, since everything old is new again, both Apple and non-Apple systems are now running Intel architecture CPUs. You can run Linux and Windows on a machine with the Cupertino logo, and you can run Linux and OS X on a machine from Dell, HP, or Lenovo (courtesy of Hackintosh, a tool to make the Apple OS 'see' the hardware as valid).

Macs (and both their ancestors and descendants) are PCs. ThinkPads are PCs, and so are Dells, HPs, Acers, and the machine you build for yourself using an MSI board and parts from Tiger Direct. So are all other general purpose small systems designed for use primarily by a single person at a time.

And yes, the famous Cray supercomputers have often, correctly, been called PCs. They're just the biggest, most expensive, dedicated single user computers ever built.  :evil:

Sorry you are wrong,

In the real world when asked what style computer you use the question is, do you use PC or Mac to distinguish your choice of system. You never hear someone say I use an Apple PC. Who would ever want to intimate that their Apple has anything to do with Microsofts PC devils work.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 01:35:54 PM »
Sorry you are wrong,

In the real world when asked what style computer you use the question is, do you use PC or Mac to distinguish your choice of system. You never hear someone say I use an Apple PC. Who would ever want to intimate that their Apple has anything to do with Microsofts PC devils work.

Merriam-Webster - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/personal%20computer

Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer

PC Magazine online - http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/49133/personal-computer

The question isn't better or worse, or whether people want to slam a particular product - the term personal computer has been used to describe small devices designed for a single user since at least the mid-1970s, and possibly earlier. It has nothing to do with operating systems, designers or manufacturer. People say 'I took a Tylenol' or 'Hand me a Kleenex', but they might be given acetaminophen or a Scott's tissue; they don't turn them down just because they used the name differently. I have heard people call Apple II, III and Mac computers PCs (though no one ever called a Lisa that, interestingly).

I've worked professionally in the real world of the PC - of all flavors - since the days of the IMSAI 8080. I have owned or had at my job all of these except the earlier mentioned Cray. They are all PCs. Not all Harleys are cruisers and not all cruisers are Harleys, but when one person says 'Harley' to another, they both think they understand what is meant (even if they're wrong).
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 01:51:48 PM »
Jim, what you need is a loin cloth, a sharp bowie knife, a nice bonfire and a live chicken.....
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 02:10:06 PM »
Sorry you are wrong,

Ahem...
However, since everything old is new again, both Apple and non-Apple systems are now running Intel architecture CPUs.

As far as I'm concerned, there's not a nickle's difference between them. Apple *does* want a lot of nickles for theirs, though.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 02:12:30 PM »
Jim, what you need is a loin cloth, a sharp bowie knife, a nice bonfire and a live chicken.....

I lived that way for about 5 years up in the Idaho panhandle about 30 miles south of Canada, but I preferred a tanto for a knife.

Kentktk

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 08:17:50 PM »
Ahem...
As far as I'm concerned, there's not a nickle's difference between them. Apple *does* want a lot of nickles for theirs, though.  :smiley:

Consumer Reports survey concludes PC repair rate is at least 50% to double the repair rate for Apples Macs.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016J9C3TG/ref=pd_va_prv_0

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2017, 08:32:48 PM »
I lived that way for about 5 years up in the Idaho panhandle about 30 miles south of Canada, but I preferred a tanto for a knife.

Having explosives help too.   :shocked:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2017, 10:21:15 PM »
Consumer Reports survey concludes PC repair rate is at least 50% to double the repair rate for Apples Macs.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016J9C3TG/ref=pd_va_prv_0

Just like bikes that are ridden take more attention than trailer queens.

C'mon, Tony.  Don't feed the fruit fly.

Kentktk

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 02:09:11 AM »
Just like bikes that are ridden take more attention than trailer queens.

Really, I had no idea. I guess bitter old men learn things with all those years that pass and make them old and bitter.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2017, 10:40:46 AM »
Yes, sonny, unlike your constant torrent of keyboard vomit, that's an actual fact.  Even in your reality.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2017, 11:18:36 AM »
 Keyboard vomit?  Nice phrase, I'll remember it.

BTW. Thanks guys for all the advice.  It took while but I Finally found the way to change the default.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2017, 12:43:26 PM »
Did changing the defaault fix it?

Kentktk

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2017, 12:52:19 PM »
Yes, sonny, unlike your constant torrent of keyboard vomit, that's an actual fact.  Even in your reality.

Grandpa, prunes would help your mood, that`s a fact too.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2017, 01:07:08 PM »
I can how a fruit fly would naturally recommend prunes.  :boozing:

But I'm not the feckless little snowflake who's life has been so completely destroyed by lack of his own personal bridge to his janitor job that he has to disrupt intelligent conversations with his (never bitter  :rolleyes: ) bombardment of the same old crap.  Me, I try to use fresh crap whenever possible.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here