Author Topic: Battery Terminal Maintenance  (Read 8995 times)

Offline Psychopasta

• Gosling
Re: Battery Terminal Maintenance
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2017, 03:41:44 PM »
When bikes aren't being ridden regularly, I put a Battery Tender on them for a few hours (till the light turns solid green) once a month and then move the charger to the next bike until I've cycled it through the fleet.

That's my approach too. There's no problem with batteries just being allowed to stand, as long as they do get a top-up now and then.
V50 Monza 1981
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone Special 2023
Honda Goldwing 2019
Aprilia Tuareg 660 2023
Ancient A65 Bitsa, in pieces

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2017, 05:40:02 PM »
The old wall worts make great chargers if you don't leave them on 24/7/365

Sent from my shoe phone!
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2020, 01:27:58 PM »
 A bit late to the game ( not unusual ) , I finally decided to get a new battery tender(charger) and bought a Schumacher 1.5 amp unit.
On the box it stated AGM batteries , plugged it in and back to check in a couple of hours with my Fluke multi-meter , 15.2 Volts ! Got in
touch with the manufacturer and they said 15.2 Volts was fine . Years as a mechanic told me otherwise . Contacted Yuasa battery and was
told that voltage was way too high . Got back in touch with Schumacher and they then said to take it back to where I bought it for a
refund . Replaced it with the Ctek .8amp charger and it doesn't go over 14.4Volts  :azn:. . Be wary .  Peter

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2020, 02:19:52 PM »
A bit late to the game ( not unusual ) , I finally decided to get a new battery tender(charger) and bought a Schumacher 1.5 amp unit.
On the box it stated AGM batteries , plugged it in and back to check in a couple of hours with my Fluke multi-meter , 15.2 Volts ! Got in
touch with the manufacturer and they said 15.2 Volts was fine . Years as a mechanic told me otherwise . Contacted Yuasa battery and was
told that voltage was way too high . Got back in touch with Schumacher and they then said to take it back to where I bought it for a
refund . Replaced it with the Ctek .8amp charger and it doesn't go over 14.4Volts  :azn:. . Be wary .  Peter

15.2V is not fine. That is ridiculous. But then 14.4V is a touch on the low side.
Some vendors like to see closer to 14.7V for the saturation charge. But 14.4V safe, and is a lot better then over 15 on any sealed battery.
When I was designing my solar charge controller, I couldn't decide if I like the 14.7V recommended, or something lower to prevent cooking the battery. So I went with 14.55V.  :violent1:
 :violent1:
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2020, 02:19:52 PM »

Offline roadventure

• Gosling
  • There is no try; There is only do.
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2020, 05:16:12 PM »
Battery Minder ( https://www.batteryminders.com/batteryminder-plus-charger-model-12117-12v-1-33-amp-charger-maintainer-desulfator/ )

Been using them for many years and the only reason I have ever replaced a battery is because I do it every five years out of habit.  I have never had to replace a battery due to failure using this product.
dave
Millville, DE

"Moto Guzzi....you're never more than 500 miles from your nearest dealer"

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2020, 05:19:47 PM »
I have been using the "Battery Tender" for a lot of years. It has worked great. But I don't leave it on for months as I don't need to as you can ride here all year long. Besides, in 24 hours a battery that is down in voltage and put on the charger, is fully restored after that 24 hr charge; assuming that it is not old and cannot hold a charge. Then if you are worried you can disconnect with their pigtail. I don't understand why many riders don't have a digital voltage readout so they don't have to take anything apart to check the battery. A 'No Brainer'...as I was just doing some electrical work on my old Ambo and needed to put it on the charger as I had to put the bike in start mode and needed to keep the voltage up. This is the current readout of the Battery Tender having been on for 36 hrs and still hooked up. I don't see a problem.

1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2020, 09:00:19 AM »
Battery Tender “had” a small attachment that read voltage at the end of your pigtails. I can move it around to all the bikes w pigtails

Checking their website it seems to be gone from the accessories section

Too bad. I use it like a mobile voltage readout on anything I’m riding

https://www.batterytender.com/

Website and products have changed a lot

Including GM and Lithium Ion batteries

Good product info

Solar powered chargers too
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 09:06:51 AM by chuck peterson »
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here