Author Topic: Convert issue  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Vecchio Lupo

• Diplomatico Di Moto
  • Hatchling
  • "sounds like me"
Re: Convert issue
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2023, 06:33:47 PM »
I am very sorry for being thick...I understand all about the danger of stamped steel time bomb flywheels vs machined units. I just dragged my new to me 77 Convert home, most recently licensed and on the road in 2019 so perhaps it has had an upgraded flywheel installed. My question is,.......how can I, a rank convert amateur, tell which I have through that tiny timing hole?

I just don't know what Im looking at, Im sure its simple and I will get it immediately with your help.

Thank you
Moto Guzzi "Going out of business since 1921"
Italian motorcycles are like Italian women,...sometimes they stab you for no reason.
RIP Harold "Dutch" Prattini ,...you taught me more than you know.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2023, 07:28:08 PM »
I thought one of the Convert flywheel threads had pics of the difference looking in the timing hole on side of trans. You get a better look if you take the starter back out of hole on LH side.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Vecchio Lupo

• Diplomatico Di Moto
  • Hatchling
  • "sounds like me"
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2023, 07:58:38 PM »
good thinking, thank you
Moto Guzzi "Going out of business since 1921"
Italian motorcycles are like Italian women,...sometimes they stab you for no reason.
RIP Harold "Dutch" Prattini ,...you taught me more than you know.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2023, 10:47:43 AM »
I am very sorry for being thick...I understand all about the danger of stamped steel time bomb flywheels vs machined units. I just dragged my new to me 77 Convert home, most recently licensed and on the road in 2019 so perhaps it has had an upgraded flywheel installed. My question is,.......how can I, a rank convert amateur, tell which I have through that tiny timing hole?

I just don't know what Im looking at, Im sure its simple and I will get it immediately with your help.

Thank you

Charlie is the expert and may be along, bit I THINK the 76 was the last year with a stamped unit. I have a 76 with the stamped am at 45K miles. To my (owned 3 years) and the PO's (owned 15 years) knowledge it was never changed.

According to Guzziology and Dave richardson, the issue of stamped plates tearing was alignment. As the theory goes some were not assembled in proper alignment and the constant push and pull of the flywheel on the center Mount point of the plate would eventually weaken the stamped steel and cause it to tear.

There have evidently been and I'm hoping mine is one that is properly aligned and seem to last forever.

If you pry open the little rubber port cover on the right side of the motor near the flywheel housing you can look in with a flashlight. The stamped unit has a curved front and the machined is squared off. I was able to determine mine was stamped by being able to scratch it with a screwdriver.

I sourced a second stamped unit and also a machine unit. They are on the shelf just in case. My machined is the two part unit with a separate ring gear from the plate.

I bought mine on eBay from I think Guzzi classics in California.

So far I've put about 6,000 mi on my convert since refreshing it and putting it on the road. I do not plan to mess with the x drive or the drive plate until there's a problem.

I monitor my AT fluid temperature and smell and everything seems to be fine. I've considered mounting an inline pressure gauge to keep an eye on the actual pressure of the pump.

From what I understand, the AT fluid that is circulated through the torque converter does nothing more than pump fluid through the torque converter and front mounted oil cooler and tank to keep the fluid cool.

I changed the fluid and also pulled the tank to clean the tank out and screen. It was spotless and fluid was clean despite mostly sitting for 15 years. The PO only rode it on rare occasions and to let visiting MC buddies ride.  Was one of those and the thing got under my skin. I bought it a year later, did a refresh with new fluids, brake pads, wiring harness, removing the Better fairing, new tires, solo seat and rear MC in 2020 during - lockdowns and telework, and did a repaint last summer.

I recently added an OEM Guzzi windscreen and next up is swapping the brake lines for SS units I got from MG Cycle. I may also swap out the wonky stock HB switches. I also want to try heavier fork oil as it is a bit soft for my likes, and has bottomed a couple times.

I've taken it as far as 250 miles on a day trip, hope to ride to the KY Guzzi Rally next year.

Is a special and different ride. I mostly love it. The only real issue for me is not being able to clamp on the tank with my knees. 40+ years of riding and this is the first bike that when I try to clamp my knees they are above the trailing edge of the tank and instead of giving stability and locking knees and feet to the pegs thus providing stability, my feet are lifted. This makes me feel more insecure on the bike. It's not a problem, because it is just part of the bikes character that says 'slow down and enjoy the magic carpet ride'

The Convert is a keeper and will eventually gain a side car when I have a garage situation that will support the size and maneuver requirements.

MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2023, 10:47:43 AM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2023, 04:47:08 PM »
I have a couple of the stamped light flywheels and ring gears, does anyone need one?
They can be strengthened by brazing the center section, braze not weld so the plate won’t distort from heat.
It will need to be balanced tho.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2023, 07:09:08 PM »
Bulldog…re your forks and fluid. The atf fluid spec for the front forks is for lubrication only. Changing the oil won’t change the action from the forks

FAC dampers with Progressive or Wirth springs was/is a common upgrade. But….it’s likely you’ll be supplied the G5 spec pieces, which add an additional inch between triple clamp and axle. From Guzziology, the two part G5 springs are also a decent upgrade vs the Wirth or FAC, cost wise.

The original Convert had a lower nose to the ground than the later G5. Unfortunately the longer forks renders the centerstand unusable as the rear wheel won’t get off the ground. If you raise the forks in the clamps a bit at a time, you’ll find a spot where the rear wheel will clear the ground while spinning at idle…1/4-3/8-1/2” your choice. At the same time the steering quickens…

I installed the FAC dampners w G5 springs. It loved to be heavily laden and seemed to move like a graceful dancing hippo…! Alas my knees hips and legs can’t hold the weight anymore or i would definitely have one

I followed TOMB, and Dr Dave, Guzziology on all of this..great ride!
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2023, 03:30:55 PM »
The following pic are from an early Convert (considered to be a prototype).

The first picture shows standoffs for a windage tray

The end of the camshaft doesn't use a drive pi but a slot the matches the slot in the end of the camshaft.

A solod machined Aluminum clutch basket.

And a transmission stamped serial number #1 the Engine is serial #8 Rumer has it that 15-20 bikes were bought in for testing with the Police.

The starter ring is welded directly to the torque converter and the flywheel is stamped.

The bike is now running with a 5 speed. Owner plans to change back to the Convert setup.

Bike came into the US for the police to test out. Owner Has paperwork to verify the history.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 04:55:22 PM by TOMB »
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2023, 12:17:18 PM »

Looks like 7800.

11 seconds to 70mph

Being a Convert owner for many years, I couldn't help but chime in.

Chuck's post after this one shows a Cycle Test article that states a "1:1 lockup", but that never occurs on the Convert, the manual entry cited above states it clearly as the Converter ratio, 1.60:1 max. Not sure how that 2nd gear ratio of 4.58 compares to a G5 or any other 5-sp 5th gear, but I'm pretty sure with the 1.60:1 "slip", the Convert is going to spin faster at top speed than a G5. And I don't know how you guys can stand screaming down a suburban street at 50 mph or highway @ 60-70 in 1st gear. That engine speed is great if you have another gear to grab, but just staying there statically with very little load on the engine sounds awful to me.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2023, 05:14:25 AM »
You don’t have to…I won’t make you…I understand you feel like it hurts the bike

But….I’ve often rolled to full throttle in low range on a Vert at 45-50 taking it up and down to 75…It turns into a different character..maybe it’s the two laners we have in New England where I could go for days without touching interstate ….

I’d invite anyone with a Vert to check it out…

Or not…
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here