Author Topic: The Guzzi Butcher  (Read 894 times)

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
The Guzzi Butcher
« on: May 11, 2023, 04:54:32 PM »
Literally--------------------------

I need that rod, cyl been locked unknown years, I been trying for 30yrs---------

I even tried a 12ton press. My last resort. Just lucky piston was at bottom of skirt.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: The Guzzi Butcher
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 05:53:58 PM »
Dayumm...That was really stuck! Steel sleeve cylinder?
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2023, 06:23:36 PM »
Literally--------------------------

I need that rod, cyl been locked unknown years, I been trying for 30yrs---------

I even tried a 12ton press. My last resort. Just lucky piston was at bottom of skirt.

I would think a carbide cutter could bore that piston pin out, but until it is tried, you won't know.

If a local machine shop can't bore out the piston pin because it is too hard (the material is too hard, not the task is too difficult), it looks like an excellent application for Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM).

I would imagine there is a machine shop fairly close to you with EDM capability.  EDM machines are pretty common simply because they are great for removing broken taps, tool bits, end mills, etc.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 06:31:06 PM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2023, 07:31:50 PM »
Rusted hard to chrome bore, the rectangles fell out once cut.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2023, 07:31:50 PM »

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2023, 07:38:54 PM »
Wow!! I've seen a few stuck pistons. Guess that may be the way to get them out?

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 07:58:31 PM »
I had a V700 piston that stuck in the cylinder like that. I just cut the cylinder in half with my bandsaw (cut in from opposite sides, until I hit piston).  :azn:
Charlie

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 08:33:09 PM »
I once had to drill the pistons out of a BSA 650 cylinder block. 

I saved the cylinders and the rods, although the cylinders had to be bored because of the rust.   :thumb:
1990 MilleGT

Offline Euromoto

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2023, 10:27:20 PM »
Dayuuuum

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2023, 10:36:21 PM »
Are you going to hang it on the wall? You don’t get to see many like it. Nice work!
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2023, 10:43:41 PM »
The Benelli 650S twin I restored years ago had the piston rings rusted in like they were welded to the iron cylinder liners. I tried a press, heat and ultimately an ultrasonic cleaner filled with Evaporust and the tank heater turned up near boiling finally broke the bonds free, after many hours in the tank.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2023, 05:24:51 AM »

Any good weldor worth his salt can fix that piston good as new.....
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2023, 05:31:31 AM »

Few things are more satisfying or entertaining that watching talented, experienced, knowledgable machinists go full cave man!

Sometimes Mother Nature likes to expose the common bonds we all share.

It would have been interesting to set the cylinder upright and put a few ounces of Muriatic Acid on top of the piston.  Outside of course.

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2023, 05:33:49 AM »
I had a V700 piston that stuck in the cylinder like that. I just cut the cylinder in half with my bandsaw (cut in from opposite sides, until I hit piston).  :azn:

Charlie, if you substitute Ox-Acetylene torch for bandsaw in that short story, it gets a lot more interesting......   :wink:

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2023, 06:49:27 AM »
Sledge hammer and a few blocks of wood.  I had a college teacher use that method to remove a stuck piston and surprisingly it was virtually undamaged and we reused it.  Brute force is sometimes the simplest and quickest way, especially if the part you are trying to save is not going to be affected. 

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2023, 08:29:38 AM »
Sledge hammer and a few blocks of wood.  I had a college teacher use that method to remove a stuck piston and surprisingly it was virtually undamaged and we reused it.  Brute force is sometimes the simplest and quickest way, especially if the part you are trying to save is not going to be affected.

Doesn't work in chrome-plated bore cylinders - believe me I've tried (and failed).
Charlie

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2023, 09:00:46 AM »
The big hammer approach is generally much less effective than using a pressing force (like isolating the screw of puller) with a corresponding well fitting block of wood.  With penetrating oil or fluid present in cylinder, Tighten the screw, then strike screw head sharply and wait.  As tension loosens, repeat.   I still have the tightly fitting wooden slugs I used to do this on my V7 Sport.  They work great and it was really stuck.   

Now I like a steel plate with zerks better and have multiple sets from various projects. Fill cylinder with oil first, then methodically pump in the grease. Stop before all the contents dumps on floor….

If you’re going to use a torch, especially with an iron cylinder assembly, heat the whole thing with rosebud tip hot until oil poured in will erupt like a volcano.  Give it time to furiously boil & smoke.  When it subsides enough that you dare handle it, lift the cylinder off.  Definitely not OSHA kosher for employees, but usually the fastest non destructive method.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2023, 09:18:45 AM »
We had a Wright radial that came into the shop that had suffered a catastrophic failure. I needed to get the piston out to be able to save the valves. Parts for these old engines are scarce and expensive if available. The bottom of the cylinder was mashed up by the broken adjacent rod beating it all to hell. No way to push it out from the top, no head, blind bore. It took awhile. Not going to use grease gun, 5" bore and longer stroke. How many tubes would it take? That failure took out 3 of the 7 cylinders. It still made it back to the airport. Radials are tough. The owner said it was hard to see where he was going, the windshield was covered in oil. After tearing down that engine I picked metal slivers out of my hands for days.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2023, 10:37:46 AM »
This Ambo was in a junkyard, I got what another guy didn't. I been soaking it for almost 30yrs, sledge hammer on wood, press & nothing worked. Even torched it real hot. Die grinder & dremel was last resort. It'll go in the box of bad cyl & pistons, someday to scrapper. Got 1 set of oval 1000 square cylinders from a Mille Gt. ALL scrap cause i won't live forever.

Online MattP

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2023, 11:24:08 AM »
the old greese gun trick works no. 1 fill bore penitrating oil atf diesel mix wd40 what ever you have on hand.  more importantly make shure the valves are closed yess you can make a plate also  anyway fill the gun with oil, why would you pump the hole bore full of grease? you con use grease after you fill the borewith oil.  any way  if  it dont move easaly heat it up. I gave a old 1.5 hp  corn binder engine to a freind that sat out side vith the head off over 40 years , he made i inch plate to bolt on stood bore up filled with weasel piss  then pumped with grease gun called me said no dice. I said heat it up with a torch. broke right loose. any way what is nice you are forcing oil down around the piston. he got that engine running with that piston and bore.  I did a /2 bmw  pumped the cilender rite off the block did not even disturb the head gaskets.

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2023, 02:05:34 PM »
If the sledge hammer fails then I would probably just slice the cylinder on the metal cutting bandsaw. A grinder with a cutoff wheel is another way to make things happen. I am not a real patient person so that would have been done 29yrs 11 months and twenty some days ago. 

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2023, 02:35:50 PM »
I'm just now needing the parts, used the crank & rods on a 700 w/bad oil pump. That motor also had a bad oil pump, maybe why it was junked.

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2023, 07:21:39 PM »
I'm just now needing the parts, used the crank & rods on a 700 w/bad oil pump. That motor also had a bad oil pump, maybe why it was junked.

It might take a little TLC, but I think that piston can be saved also!

Obviously, you are a very patient man.....   :wink:

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here