Author Topic: Mail Hack  (Read 927 times)

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Mail Hack
« on: January 31, 2023, 11:59:15 AM »
I just purchased a ‘77 Jota project from forum member Travlr in Phoenix.  His USPS priority mail package to me was hacked enroute. The culprit removed the original AZ title, shop manual and documentation letter, and replaced them with three hockey pucks. I suspect that that was in the Providence, RI mail center but will get nowhere with USPS. If anyone comes across an offer to sell the title or a bogus Jota with frame no. 5232, I would love a heads up.  Mike is ordering a duplicate title so at this point it’s a race to my RMV to get the bike titled. Ugh.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: Mail Hack
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 01:16:04 PM »
Dang! Thats weird that someone would do something like that.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Online jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 01:31:29 PM »
I have had packages get lost before, but that's some heinous behavior.  I wish you luck!
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

guido guzzi

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 01:41:36 PM »
Ben, that's awful. Sorry to hear it.
Any chance there are fingerprints on the pucks?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 01:41:36 PM »

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 02:02:17 PM »
How would they know what was in the package? What is the significance of hockey pucks?
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 02:22:35 PM »
I don't know why you wouldn't report that to USPS. That's federal offense.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online Anomaly

• Gosling
  • Location: Southern Tuscany (mostly), Rhode Island (sometimes)
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 02:36:21 PM »
A guy I know once lost a $30,000 sailboat boom while having it shipped via UPS. Wasn't insured... But you can see a 20' long boom in the back of a truck-- as asked above, how'd they even know to hack your particular package? Surely USPS has some interest in not having packages hacked like this (?)
1981 T3 California, 1983 Piaggio Apecar P2
Sold: 98 BMW F650, 2012 v7 Classic

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 10:47:35 PM »
The pucks were the weight and thickness of the shop manual that was in the envelope with the title.  Mike canceled the title with the AZ DMV and ordered a duplicate.  I think all will be fine.  I did file a report with the USPS Investigator. The package was closed up with packing tape, which I think is impossible to use without leaving prints. I hope they follow up. Thanks Mike for being a stand up seller.

Offline Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 12:58:39 AM »
The pucks were the weight and thickness of the shop manual that was in the envelope with the title.  Mike canceled the title with the AZ DMV and ordered a duplicate.  I think all will be fine.  I did file a report with the USPS Investigator. The package was closed up with packing tape, which I think is impossible to use without leaving prints. I hope they follow up. Thanks Mike for being a stand up seller.

Ironically mobsters used to put tape sticky side out on their firearms so prints *couldn't* be lifted with old dusting methods. Prints can now be lifted from tape, but someone knowingly committing a felony could also just wear gloves and that wouldn't be unusual for someone handling mail, or just someone wearing casual pandemic era PPE.

Here's hoping they slipped up and get caught for their absurd crime, lots of vehicle and parts scams, fraud, and theft out there these days. Best of luck with the title.

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 06:32:56 AM »
Well, that pucks…

If it happened to me with the local usps, I would not be surprised if it was delivered to the wrong recipient, who was tired (or not) of getting stuff  like that, when then opened it & swapped out items before returning it to the usps for proper delivery.

We have not done this open & switch stuff but starting a couple of yrs ago, we get at least 1-2 wrong pieces of mail a week and have had numerous packages of our delivered to others around here.  I’m not talking next door with a neighbor who will bring it over.  I mean far away.  It’s a PIA to get delivery notifications  but no package and then have to hassle with them to find our package & have it properly delivered.   

That why I ask anyone shipping to me (like I did with you Ben) to let me know when an item ships.  Bad deliveries around here are far too normal.  Lately we’ve been getting insurance mailings that look like bills that belong to someone else.  Makes me wonder what kind of trouble it makes for their budget/schedule and always makes us anxious about the same thing happening to us.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 06:41:29 AM »
We have not done this open & switch stuff but starting a couple of yrs ago, we get at least 1-2 wrong pieces of mail a week and have had numerous packages of our delivered to others around here.  I’m not talking next door with a neighbor who will bring it over.  I mean far away.  It’s a PIA to get delivery notifications but no package and then have to hassle with them to find our package & have it properly delivered.   

Funny you should mention this. We've started using USPS informed delivery a few months ago.

That means we get scanned photos of most of our mail the day it is supposed to arrive. Ironically it seems the postal service CAN get images of mail that then never arrives or goes missing for weeks (my daughter's Christmas card from her grandmother that had a check in it) only to finally be delivered (presumably after it was delivered to the wrong place and returned or miraculously found on the floor of the post office or in the van).

We've gotten no fewer than 3 incorrect packages in the last week or so - granted one from Amazon (for the next door neighbor), one from Fed-Ex (for the same next door neighbor) and one from the USPS for a neighbor down the block and around the corner on a completely different street/totally different street name (but same #).

Wonder if there are some cost cutting measures might be contributing to this seemingly recent arise of apathy or if this is some sort of cultural leftover of pandemic weirdness.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 06:45:05 AM »
Ben,

That really stinks. Kind of a PIA for you and the seller, but should work out in the end.

We had some anomalies with our mail during the early days of the pandemic, but seems to have cleared up.

Last time I sold a bike out of state, I fedEx’d the title and extra key. No issues.

Hope it all works out

John
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Online spmoto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 10:33:19 AM »
Ben, That has to be the strangest thing I've heard in a while. And, I'm sorry it happened to you. I just can't imagine some person in the mailroom with a bucket of hockey pucks, rifling through packages, and not being discovered. Really weird! Hope it all works out for you.

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 06:55:20 PM »
Mike canceled the title with the AZ DMV and ordered a duplicate.  I think all will be fine.  I did file a report with the USPS Investigator. The package was closed up with packing tape, which I think is impossible to use without leaving prints. I hope they follow up. Thanks Mike for being a stand up seller.

Arizona Titles are now digital so you are pretty safe. Mike is a super good guy.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Online spmoto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 07:58:25 PM »
The Slater Brothers documentation letter is a real loss. Irreplaceable I would imagine. What a pissah!

Offline ozarksguzzi

• Ozarks Guzzi
  • New Egg
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2023, 08:29:18 PM »
I purchased 6" numbers  and imbedded them in concrete at the base of our mailbox. It didn't help.
The older I get, the faster I was

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2023, 09:27:24 PM »
The Slater Brothers documentation letter is a real loss. Irreplaceable I would imagine. What a pissah!

Believe it or not I can get a new letter from Richard Slater.  It’s 170 pounds and the wiring overseas will be a little tricky, but I think it’s worth it. For all he’s done I hope he can recover a little something on the back end. Some personal connection with Richard is important to me.

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2023, 05:04:28 AM »
Sorry for your troubles, Ben - that flat-out sucks.

I'm glad that you can get a new letter from Mr. Slater, though.
That's cool!

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here