Author Topic: Motorcycle Jack Mods  (Read 2635 times)

Offline vf84pc

• Hatchling
Motorcycle Jack Mods
« on: August 31, 2015, 08:54:04 AM »
I want to buy a motorcycle jack There was a topic on Guzzi Tech about some mods so it would work with a Moto Guzzi but the photos are no longer posted.
If anybody has suggestions I would appreciate the input, I will be using it with a 2004 California EV.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Motorcycle Jack Mods
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 09:28:17 AM »
I hate to tell you, but one jack won't do it all- you'll most likely end up with several. If you get a standard small parallelogram lift like a Sears, you'll probably need to fashion some 2x4s so the jack doesn't lift up on your exhausts. It's pretty self explanatory. This type of lift can be bought on Craigslist any day of the week for $75. They will lift a tonti easily and the balance is decent.

If you ever need to crab the frame to get at the trans, then you will need some manner of overhead lift. I made an A frame and it worked fine. For dropping your pan, I think a center stand might be best. 
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 09:30:53 AM »
I want to buy a motorcycle jack There was a topic on Guzzi Tech about some mods so it would work with a Moto Guzzi but the photos are no longer posted.
If anybody has suggestions I would appreciate the input, I will be using it with a 2004 California EV.

If you still have the link to the article, check and see if it was by "Jeff in Ohio" (I'm pretty sure we're thinking of the same one).

Here's the irony. YEARS ago, after he sold his Guzzi (his source of inspiration for a number of those articles). I worked a deal with him where I bought all his spare parts.

Now YEARS before that I'd used his article to construct (from wood) a replica of his Guzzi bike jack adaptor.

Seriously this is easy to do. You just need board, that is long enough, fat enough, and thick (strong) enough to serve the purpose (he may have given his dimensions). And then a couple of 2x4's cut to the right length that you then attach to said board almost like goal posts at one end. I actually did that last part in two stages. First built the goal post rig by placing two smaller cut lengths of 2x4 vertically on a flat length of 2x4. Then I attached the flat length across one end of the board so the goal posts were in the right position.

I'm probably making it sound more complicated than it was, but it was seriously 1 board, 1 2x4, a circular saw, and a drill/screw gun with the drywall screws.

In the end I added some threaded eyelets to attach straps to hold the bike more securely on the stand.

I still have the thing more than a decade later.

Basically the board goes on the jack and will sit under the oil pan to support it. And the 2x4 goal postsgo back under the transmission and lift on/support the bike at the centerstand mounting point. The height of the goal posts is determined by the distance from the bottom of the oil pan to the point on the centerstand mount where you are lifting.

In this way the jack lifts at all points simultaneously and holds the bike level.

Now even MORE IRONIC is the fact that I already had a copy that I made purely from wood when I bought his parts lot and received any tools he'd made as well, so I HAVE the original one he made (it was also based on a large block of wood, but then with metal pieces for the rest, including some angle iron to be attached to the underside of the support to keep it from shifting on the jack. I never bothered with that on mine and never had a problem.

So I still have his. It's not assembled, but I'm sure we could figure out how to do that... though at this point I think I've repurposed the original block of wood.

But if you wanted to buy the metal bits you could install them on your own block of wood easily enough. I have no idea what a reasonable cost would be for that which is probably why I've never tried to sell it.

(Or again, you could just use 2x4s).

Oh, and if someone is willing to host the photo so we don't have to go through this again, I'm happy to take a pick of his and/or of mine. Actually, I think I already have, let me check my archives.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 09:35:49 AM »
Yup, here's a link to a pic I took last time someone asked this question.

His and mine.

I don't show the pieces of angle iron that would attach to the underside of his and his "goal posts" aren't bolted in place in the pic, but you get the idea:

https://goo.gl/photos/GBZUrEz6KXR2Wnaa6

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 09:35:49 AM »

Offline LuftWolf

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 10:00:17 AM »
There are all manner of jacks out there that will security lift even the California 1400.  I have 2 that I use & can recommend.  First up is a Center Stand that allows quick setup for chores such as checking the oil etc.  I found it on eBay ( Item # 201383772164) For $39.95 w/Free Shipping.  Next is the Black Widow Motorcycle Jack.  With movable plates that rotate 360 degrees it provides a stable platform for oil changes, tire changes & the like. Discount Ramps $69.99 w/$18 shipping.  This is a Flash Sale price ending today. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:01:46 AM by LuftWolf »
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
1986 BMW R/80T w/Jawa Sidecar

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 11:39:44 AM »
There was an outfit called Dunwell that manufactured an add-on attachment specific to the Tonti Framed Guzzis that you would bolt onto the Sears type ATV/Motorcycle lifts and that supported the mid section of the Guzzis at the pivot for the center stand. 

The unit had Teflon inserts that were designed to capture that pivot and hold the motorcycle in a very stable with the forward pad of the lift under teh pan.  Together the lift brings the Guzzi up nice and level. 

I bought one and unfortunately I can find no internet presents for Dunwell now, must have closed the doors... I dunno.   The only one that I had, I gave to my Son when I gave him the Cali SS a few weeks ago, the only Tonti frame I had then was the EV Hack and that doesn't get lifted unless I put it on both Handy Lifts at one time...  LOL     :grin:
Of course now I have the West Coast V11 Jackal back here with no center stand and I could use that rig now. 

TBT, a couple of 2x4's cut to the correct length work well to level the Guzzi using a Sears lift.

I can take some measurements of the Dunwell attachment and all that if you need so that one can be made.  My Son's place is about eighty miles from us and I go up there often.

Best,
Rob
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:49:13 AM by radguzzi »
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here