Author Topic: 1981 Guzzi Le Mans CX100 barn find (sort of).  (Read 11714 times)

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 1981 Guzzi Le Mans CX100 barn find (sort of).
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2017, 10:36:14 PM »
How do you guys in the US put up with a speedo that stops at 80mph? Does the needle have a stop at 80 or does it just keep going?
And that 55mph warning light!, I'd have to pull the bulb.

Couldn't resist.  :afro:
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2017, 10:39:30 PM »

Gorgeous job, and great personal history.  Love the looks of the CX100.
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2017, 08:10:18 AM »

Couldn't resist.  :afro:

:grin: Yeah, I've seen that picture, too..  :evil: :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline capt.fun

• New Egg
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2017, 04:19:09 PM »
Hey John,

Great job ,  I am really proud of the job you did on "RAGU"   and am glad to see you kept it as designed.   

For you guys watching this resurrection here's the history.   I started riding in 1963 and had everything , Honda 50's Triumph and BSA 650"s Kawasaki 1000s and finally a Harley Electra Glide.

When one of my best riding partners was killed with an encounter with a teen in a Buick I decided to change my style and go to full leathers and a helmet.    I had read a road test on the cx100 and called a BMW / Motto Guzzi dealer 150 miles away..  He tried everything to get me to purchase a BMW RS instead but I was firm on the Guzzi.   The bike was ordered as an 80  but with a truckers strike that year it disappeared in shipment.    After a two months delay the 2nd bike arrived as an 81.   The first ride after the trip home was a little 900 loop thru Idaho and Montana.   All Mountain passes and winding river roads.

After a move to Portland I put the bike down coming off the Ross island Bridge at night in the rain.   Broken collar bone , ribs, and ego.    The bike got parked and hauled with me for three more moves .   Career changes , wife changes, but still "RAGU" in my life.   Riding went out of my like then and I swapped to cool cars.   Old school HOT RODs , no Gucci billet show sleds. 

December of 15 John came for a visit and finally expressed an interest in "RAGU"   I made him buy it so I wouldn't get pissed if he built it in a way I didn't agree with.    After seeing what he has done I almost feel bad for not giving it to him, almost.   His money has been well spent on building a big block Cadillac engine for my 53 Studebaker Commander coupe.

WELL DONE SON

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2017, 04:19:09 PM »

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2017, 04:30:09 PM »
Hey John,

Great job ,  I am really proud of the job you did on "RAGU"   and am glad to see you kept it as designed.   

For you guys watching this resurrection here's the history.   I started riding in 1963 and had everything , Honda 50's Triumph and BSA 650"s Kawasaki 1000s and finally a Harley Electra Glide.

When one of my best riding partners was killed with an encounter with a teen in a Buick I decided to change my style and go to full leathers and a helmet.    I had read a road test on the cx100 and called a BMW / Motto Guzzi dealer 150 miles away..  He tried everything to get me to purchase a BMW RS instead but I was firm on the Guzzi.   The bike was ordered as an 80  but with a truckers strike that year it disappeared in shipment.    After a two months delay the 2nd bike arrived as an 81.   The first ride after the trip home was a little 900 loop thru Idaho and Montana.   All Mountain passes and winding river roads.

After a move to Portland I put the bike down coming off the Ross island Bridge at night in the rain.   Broken collar bone , ribs, and ego.    The bike got parked and hauled with me for three more moves .   Career changes , wife changes, but still "RAGU" in my life.   Riding went out of my like then and I swapped to cool cars.   Old school HOT RODs , no Gucci billet show sleds. 

December of 15 John came for a visit and finally expressed an interest in "RAGU"   I made him buy it so I wouldn't get pissed if he built it in a way I didn't agree with.    After seeing what he has done I almost feel bad for not giving it to him, almost.   His money has been well spent on building a big block Cadillac engine for my 53 Studebaker Commander coupe.

WELL DONE SON

:1:

Very inspiring, thanks for sharing 

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2017, 04:57:12 PM »
Hey John,

WELL DONE SON

Thanks for "The rest of the story" 🏍
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2017, 08:18:39 PM »
Big block caddy in a Stude!!! Classic! Got any pics?
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2017, 08:29:35 PM »
Cool story - except for the crashing.

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2017, 09:39:35 PM »
What a GREAT story.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Offline viggo51

• New Egg
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2017, 11:40:27 AM »
That's very nice.

How did it get done?    Hand it over to a pro in one lump?   Take it apart and send away the components to be done?   Or do it all yourself in your shop, buying parts as necessary?

No matter which, congratulations on bringing this family heirloom back to a fun and useful life!

Lannis

Did it myself in my shop. The old man did the paint and fiberglass work. Pieced parts together over the last year, E bay and a lot of google.  found out using the parts book numbers in the search limited the endless dead ends. The foot break lever and headlight gasket were the hardest to locate.

John

Offline viggo51

• New Egg
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2017, 11:43:56 AM »
Hi Viggo,

Was looking at your photos and noticed a lot of holes drilled into the back of the mufflers. Did you or your dad do this and what did it accomplish?

Thanks,
Ted

Ted,
My Dad drilled the exhaust just before he wrecked it. From my understanding t was just too quiet for him (previously ridding Harley's) I don't believe there was any performance advantage to it. It roars down the road like V8!

Viggo

Offline viggo51

• New Egg
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2017, 11:45:05 AM »
Hey John,

WELL DONE SON

Thanks Dad

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here