Author Topic: need carb start point VHB 30s  (Read 489 times)

Offline Vecchio Lupo

• Diplomatico Di Moto
  • Hatchling
  • "sounds like me"
need carb start point VHB 30s
« on: February 15, 2023, 08:24:39 PM »
OK gang, I have been patiently un ham fisting the previous efforts of the last ham fisted owner, whom I shall not speak Ill of since he did lose interest and allow me the opportunity to unearth this 77 Convert from a clean-ish, dry, barn in rural SC. After loads of time and aggravation as well as money spent putting right all manner of wrongs, I went for my first ride today. She idles great, until hot then it drops too low (I can fix that) after I rebuilt the carbs I put a standard 1 3/4 turn on air screws and 2 on idles , I did not adjust the float levels (stupid) and she pulls away smooth and builds speed, but if I open up all the way, she stumbles and bogs...I can't tell if she is starving or drowning. If I back off she picks up like normal again. I have not ruled out fuel starvation, so I will check flow.

My question is what is the consensus for starting settings?? yes I will set the float height and then what?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 08:25:47 PM by Vecchio Lupo »
Moto Guzzi "Going out of business since 1921"
Italian motorcycles are like Italian women,...sometimes they stab you for no reason.
RIP Harold "Dutch" Prattini ,...you taught me more than you know.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Re: need carb start point VHB 30s
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 09:40:32 PM »
Sounds like your floats are too low.  I’dstart there and also make sure that the main jet is per the book. Do you have stock pipes?
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 09:53:17 PM »
Your "air screws" are actually "fuel screws" - turn out for rich, in for lean - the opposite of an air screw. I start with 2 turns out from lightly seated.

Slide height: I set a starting point by turning the screw in until a 3/16" drill bit slips under the inlet side of the slide.
Charlie

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 10:12:02 PM »
This is by Guzzisteve and it worked for my Ambo750:

"If you are running WFO and it comes back on by letting off a bit then the main is a tad too big. Try a few #'s smaller like 152 & see if it is a continuous accel."

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 10:12:02 PM »

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 08:38:27 AM »
Those have accelerator pumps like my T3? They are functioning?
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Vecchio Lupo

• Diplomatico Di Moto
  • Hatchling
  • "sounds like me"
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 05:53:45 PM »
great responses, thank you, I feel like I have a good starting place. with the tighter settings, it did run better, but the same, although...rather than just the big bog. Now when cracked all the way open while moving at apt 20mph it stumbles, takes a breath, spits, and thens pulls hard until traffic makes me slow down.

Now I think I will leave well enough alone while I run some good ethanol free gas with maybe some sea foam or equivalent additive through it and give what we used to call an Italian tune up. try and blast all the built up junk and gunk out of the crevices and then see what Im working with.
Italian motorcycles are like Italian women,...sometimes they stab you for no reason.

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 07:31:00 PM »
I'd give the accelerator pumps a good look. They should be adding a squirt when you grab a handful.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 08:16:18 PM »
  If anyone is familiar with those 'accelerator pumps' they know that at best, they give a rather weak enrichment .
  But it is still a good practice to start with every system in the carbs in good shape and proceed to the fine tuning . Peter

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 04:00:17 AM »
The number “145” keeps popping in to my head…

It could be my bank account tho… :grin:

Air filtration is stock or K&N?

If K&N have you included the intake velocity stacks? There is a slight venturi in those that will effect carburation

Timing is tricky…if you’ve done it statically, check it’s reaching full advance via timing light…ymmv

Good looking bike, i like the coloring. Hefty beast aren’t they? They do build speed, but slowly

In the past I would advance the timing until a few pings started showing up, then back off a touch and use a bit of octane booster, but then i tended to flog them much harder than most people here dare to. Rolling on hard at 50-60 mph in low range could surprise you

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Vecchio Lupo

• Diplomatico Di Moto
  • Hatchling
  • "sounds like me"
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2023, 12:55:09 PM »
Gentlemen, and other members,

While Im not ready to announce problem solved, I am confidant that Im on the right track. After my last post, I read everything I could find (thank you Greg Bender) and searched this and other forums, along with the good advice given here.....I did not completely disassemble the accelerator pumps when I cleaned the gummy carbs and replaced O rings and gaskets.

Fresh ethanol free fuel, little (ok a little more than a little, but not a lot) of Sea Foam, and I just ran it. She ran better and better and better. We are not there yet but after the very exacting base settings, thank you very much, minor tweaks, more than a few heat cycles, Im almost there.

the only red herring is that this whole mess was not fuel related at all, it is possible that after 5-6 dormant years, the mechanical advance was not advancing, and is only now starting to loosen up.

I can be such an idiot, just ask my ex wife. or the other ex wife.

Id rather not take apart what may straighten out with use, but unless it snaps into line this weekend, I will do just that.

thanks to all who have lent their collective brain power to helping me not be as stupid as Im capable of being. I also think I'll show up at that Virginia campout in a few months, yea haw

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2023, 01:06:02 PM »
Take the cap off of the "distributor" remove the little felt pad in the center of the advance unit, and dribble some light oil into the recess where the felt pad was. Replace pad and apply some oil to it. Might help free the advance up if it's gummy.
Charlie

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2023, 01:30:06 PM »
Oil the felt wick on the points cam (points grease) while in there. Better yet douse the interior with ACF-50 and it will lubricate all the pivot points in the advance unit. It will inhibit further corrosion in that area. Blow the excess off the contact points just to be neat. Then you are set for another 10K miles.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2023, 03:00:11 PM »
If you need the wick in the top of the distributor one is easily found in the Dremel disk kit along with the disks.

Exact fit and is a much better option, just go to Wally World and look in the tool section, holds a greater amount of oil compared to the stock square wick.

Thats what i have in my Convert distributor.

TOMB
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2023, 03:05:16 PM »
I use exact same thing.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Vecchio Lupo

• Diplomatico Di Moto
  • Hatchling
  • "sounds like me"
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2023, 10:34:16 AM »
I almost didn't want to post so that this could fade into the back pages but...in case somebody is having similar issues and is looking for ideas and solutions....proble m solved.

Its a mystery because I don't remember completely breaking down the accelerator pumps, but I might have. well....one of them had the ball check valve mechanism installed backwards so when the engine needed fuel it got NOTHING and on over run it had wrong pressure so and so forth. Maybe I did this boneheaded thing, maybe the previous owner did, and that's why it was sitting in a garage for 5-7 years (the story varies) .

Bottom line is somebody got the assembly procedure assbjckwards but now its fixed and WoooWeeee she pulls hard from basement to attic.

Thank you and consider this issue solved.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here