Author Topic: What is in your tool kit?  (Read 1305 times)

Offline TejasNW

• New Egg
What is in your tool kit?
« on: May 15, 2021, 08:58:35 AM »
A lot of experienced riders on this site.  I would be interested in everyone's wisdom putting together a roadside tool kit for a guzzi. 

If I recall, the relays at the fuse bus are interchangeable so a spare is appropriate.  Common tools and sizes?  Never personally plugged a tire, are plug kits practical or are modern tubeless tires patched effectively?  Anyone care to share what they carry; or what they feel is a good idea?

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: What is in your tool kit?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 09:13:04 AM »
Definitely a couple threads exist on this topic. Feel free to get a jump start on reading them as you’ve no doubt reopened the Pandora’s Box of opinions, ranging from “who works on their bikes?” to “I’m prepared to tear down, rebuild, and reseal the entire machine on the side of the road WITH torque specs”
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline TejasNW

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 09:22:40 AM »
Oppss.  Did not mean to open that can of worms.  Life is too short for the "taste great/less filling" debate.   :boxing:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 12:16:57 PM »
yes, get a Stop and Go tire plug kit and portable electric air pump like a Slime pump.  Install the proper connection to your battery to run the pump. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 12:16:57 PM »

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 01:59:56 PM »
Oppss.  Did not mean to open that can of worms.  Life is too short for the "taste great/less filling" debate.   :boxing:

There is only one other "thread" that tops the "What's In You Tool Kit?"...and that is the legendary: 

"Oh No...not another Oil Thread" debate!!

:laugh: :grin: :wink: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :huh: :huh: :huh:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 09:26:31 PM »
I’m still game for this topic.  Rather than list the whole kit, which is a BMW rollup in my backpack, the most important pieces are zip ties, spare levers and metric wrenches.  Also extra cash and my Hagerty’s tow card.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 09:51:43 PM »
What kind of trips do you do?  That really decides it.  A test light is good, some miscellaneous fasteners, a small vice grips. Allen wrenches,  some spanners :8, 10, 11,13 17,19  A spare clutch cable ,crescent wrench, flashlight, screwdrivers. Small fire extinguisher. Tire stuff.  That’s some of the stuff that’s always on the bike and then I vary it according to the trip and mechanical condition of the bike. I have a sidecar so I tend to bring things to fix other people’s bikes as well
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 09:54:39 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 04:35:32 AM »

Quote from: John A on Today at 03:51:43 AM
What kind of trips do you do?  That really decides it.  A test light is good, some miscellaneous fasteners, a small vice grips. Allen wrenches,  some spanners :8, 10, 11,13 17,19  A spare clutch cable ,crescent wrench, flashlight, screwdrivers. Small fire extinguisher. Tire stuff.  That’s some of the stuff that’s always on the bike and then I vary it according to the trip and mechanical condition of the bike. I have a sidecar so I tend to bring things to fix other people’s bikes as well

___________________ ___________________ ___________________ _______

I reckon you need a sidecar to carry all that stuff...      :laugh:

Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 05:25:12 AM »
What about some extra oil?

What kind?

:grin:
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 06:35:08 AM »
I hope I don't jinx myself now but since I ceased owning HD's in the early 80's, I run with the tools provided with the bike from the manufacturer and don't recall ever using them.  On my tubeless tire equipped bikes I carry rope plugs but no tire pump, have roadside assistance through my insurer and various club memberships.  I've used rope plugs over the years but never the roadside assistance.  I've always carried a multi purpose tool on my Wing in addition to the factory tool kit but never needed either.  I do carry a set of motorcycle jumper cables on my '72 eldo, just in case, I'm running an eleven year old battery in it :violent1:.  I guess I've been lucky so far.
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 10:51:56 AM »
Quote from: Dukedesmo
</blockquote><blockquote>I reckon you need a sidecar to carry all that stuff...      :laugh: </blockquote>
[/quote

:grin:
It’s ballast, I never need that stuff and besides I won’t have what I need if I was to look in there
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 10:58:52 AM »
Its not as important as what is in your tool kit as what tools in your tool kit can you effectively use.

I see so many folks that carry a 35lb tool roll with everything they'd need to rebuild the bike but cannot turn a screwdriver to save their life.

For me over the years I've paired down what I take with me. A few hand tools to tighten up loose fasteners or remove the wheels a multi blade screwdriver, tire plugger and a small 12v air compressor. I've come to the realization a flat tire is about the most I can effectively deal with. While I'm no stranger to turning a wrench if I don't carry replacment parts to accompany the wrenches it just carrying around dead weight.

After to a tire plugger and 12v compressor a credit card and cell phone is probably the next best thing to have with you.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 01:44:17 PM »
Spare spark plug and cap. Guzzi is particularly suited to breaking both on simple drop. They are sticking right out in the breeze..well the new ones less so with I guess
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2021, 01:59:18 PM »
OK...just for S&G's... :laugh: :grin: :wink:...attached is the leather tool roll and the tools enclosed on the rear rack of my '98 Centauro GT which I carry with me all the time.  You can recognize most all of these :thumb: :cool: :boozing:

For longer trips, I have another pouch that fits in my tank bag or tail bag with the gas siphon, the tire repair kit, the jumper cables, spare oil, etc.

I can tell you from experience of my many years riding Big Twin Harley's, and with other riders on Harley's, the Mini-Duct Tape, hose clamps, tie wraps, and BAILING WIRE was the items most used!!
Because as we all know, VIBRATION is the Achilles Heal of all motorcycles....
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline centauro

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 02:16:35 PM »
A few turns of wrapped duct tape around the screwdriver shank. In a pinch it would serve as electrical tape or temporarily patch a cracked and leaking fuel hose. Along with a sharp knife or razor blade, it could even make a temporary gasket.....
Val Barone
1984 1000 SP/NT (sold)
1973 Benelli 650S Tornado (sold)
1985 Vespa PX150E
1973 Honda CB 350 Four

Learn from other's mistakes ; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2021, 02:27:54 PM »
A few turns of wrapped duct tape around the screwdriver shank. In a pinch it would serve as electrical tape or temporarily patch a cracked and leaking fuel hose. Along with a sharp knife or razor blade, it could even make a temporary gasket.....

My riding buddies laugh when I pull out the ol' Mini-Duct Tape (from Aerostich), but over the years, on many a Road Trip,  I have temporarily repaired everything from sunglasses to helmet visors to exhaust pipes and MORE!!!! :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2021, 04:26:28 PM »
As others have said, pump and tire plug stuff for sure.  Basic hand tools, Allen wrenches.  Spark plug wrench and extra plugs.  WD-40 for drying wet electrics.  Fuses and maybe a relay.  Zip ties and baling wire.  Duct tape. On a long trip I’ll carry a spare clutch cable. 

When you do basic work on your bike, keep a list of what tools you actually use and consider taking those. 

I believe that more than 90% of roadside breakdowns are tire or battery/electrical related.   So avoid those problems and you likely won’t break down.  Keep a known good, fairly fresh battery in the bike with regularly cleaned connectors.  Good tires and the tools to plug a leak. 

Looking back over the years I’ve had more trouble and been stopped/stranded on the road most often by failed batteries.  I’m now pretty aggressive about changing them.  Every 3 years, even if they seem “ok.”   It is the “ok” ones that work well enough to get you stranded far away. 

Check with your insurance company to see if they offer roadside assistance specifically for motorcycles.  That’s actually pretty cheap. 

And don’t forget this forum.  Somebody here will very likely be able to talk you through a roadside repair, or even pick you up or send help. 
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 05:22:21 PM »
Enough already...

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2021, 05:51:24 PM »
CHEERS!! 

Of course, let's not forget the ol' Credit Card and Mobile Phone...assuming you have cell service in your stranded area!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shocked: :shocked: :huh: :huh:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2021, 08:59:27 PM »
Our auto insurance has a RV road service package that covers motorcycles. The way it works is I pay the towing services and the insurance pays me. I’ve used it a few times even though I like to be as self sufficient as possible. I don’t remember what it costs but it was reasonable and covers anything I ride or drive. The last time I used it was when the retaining bolt for the little spacer on the Cush drive retainer came out near Mom’s house, about five miles from my place. I didn’t know what had happened but I had felt it and knew it needed attention. A flatbed came in 30 minutes and brought me to my shop, no trouble. The bolt, a short 5mm , had went through the space between the wheel and the drive housing. It gouged aluminum along the way but didn’t damage anything. Red locktite now.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 09:43:23 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Irishflyer

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2021, 09:11:52 PM »
Definitely a couple threads exist on this topic. Feel free to get a jump start on reading them as you’ve no doubt reopened the Pandora’s Box of opinions, ranging from “who works on their bikes?” to “I’m prepared to tear down, rebuild, and reseal the entire machine on the side of the road WITH torque specs”
Wait, you guys use torque specs?.. :laugh:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here