Author Topic: Roof Top Tents...Any experience??  (Read 1684 times)

Offline BobA

• New Egg
Roof Top Tents...Any experience??
« on: April 15, 2020, 12:52:27 PM »
OK, don't think I'll get any flack with this subject! Lol.

Anyone use or have a roof top tent and what do you think of it? Am thinking about mounting a ladder rack system on the sides of my very sturdy utility/MC trailer With 27" sides to accommodate the install of one above the bike carry area. Use as a base camp and explore from there. Have good welding skills, ladder racks are surprising cheap with 400 lb capacity (so my wife would have to stay home!!))) and I could even carry kayaks if so inclined. With a zip on annex room for dressing, storage or a porta-potty (so my wife "might" come along)) it seems like a good solution.

And it keeps my "beautiful" MGX covered!! OK, let-r-rip.
BobA

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
Re: Roof Top Tents...Any experience??
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 02:16:14 PM »
Several folks in my local Land Rover club use them.  Experience observed over the last 10 years.

1.  Get a quality tent...Eezi Awn or Tepui
2.  Ensure the zippers and seams are TOP notch...or you'll get water leakage in a storm.
3.  Ladders occasionally break where they are riveted to the bottom floor when the tent folds out...that appears to be the weak link on how ladders have been attached.
4.  Splurge on one that has a mesh roof, so you can enjoy the stars...makes for a more "roomy" feeling tent.
5.  Upgrade the mattress if too thin, or just add a good sleeping bag or air mattress on top of the stock 3 or 4 inch foam.
6.  Don't come down the ladder if you've been drinking, so carry a pee can up into the tent for the night, have seen some folks miss a step or two and crash hard on the ground trying to navigate the ladder at night.

They are great for camping, being off the ground, beach camping etc...very cool devices...
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 03:01:19 PM »
Never heard of that before so I pulled up images of Land Rovers with "roof top tents".

Haven't seen one of those in real life ... what's the advantage?   Why wouldn't you just put the tent on the ground next to the vehicle and avoid a 5 foot fall out of your tent if you roll the wrong way?   

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 03:13:03 PM »
The problem I would have with it, is age and physical condition related: I find it difficult to move around on the flat of my back. I need room enough to lower my legs over the side of the bed to get dressed, or get up to use the john. Add to the fact you are way up in the air.   I had one of these cot tents, and had to get rid of it because of the above problems :

Also, once the tent is set up, you ain't going anywhere to get the cold brew you forgot to pick up.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 03:13:03 PM »

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 03:45:00 PM »
Never heard of that before so I pulled up images of Land Rovers with "roof top tents".

Haven't seen one of those in real life ... what's the advantage?   Why wouldn't you just put the tent on the ground next to the vehicle and avoid a 5 foot fall out of your tent if you roll the wrong way?   

Lannis

Some people like to sleep off the ground rather than pitching a tent on uneven ground, avoid snakes and other animals.  There is a higher degree of comfort in the roof top tent then a ground tent as it has a built in mattress which doubles over when the tent is folded...canvas is heavier and weight is heavier, so it's a sturdier setup.  Has some nice features that can also be attached on the ground, like a changing foyer, shower setups etc.  It's clearly a luxury...not mandatory for sure.  More of an Overlanding type accessory...
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 03:47:02 PM »
The Tacoma community as all about them, or shall I say, the entire off road community, and there is certainly some settings they make a lot of sense.

My concern for your suggested application is weight. Some of these get fairly heavy. Would that weight/span on a narrow axle utility trailer handle well at respectable speed. The ones I'm familiar with are the width of an auto , seems that would get a lot of lift, potentially, on a trailer like you're considering.

I agree that if those issues are manageable, it would make a great motorcycle camping option.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Gino

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 04:25:35 PM »
I find them amusing, far to dangerous if you like a nightcap before bed, I see them more and more on Land Rovers in Scotland, people trying to portray they are hardcore travellers rather than weekend warriors, the only animals we have here that get you is midges, (noseeum in the USA) and they are no protection against them.
It's a fad and if people enjoy them why not. I prefer to be closer to the ground, less distance to fall.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 04:31:58 PM »
It's a fad and if people enjoy them why not. I prefer to be closer to the ground, less distance to fall.

Yep, to each his own.   I don't enjoy camping very much in any form, but if the rally that I'm attending is clearly a "camping" rally, then I do it too.

I'm not a big fan of sleeping on the ground for the reasons folk have mentioned, but I'm less of a fan of sleeping at a height that could hurt if I fell from it in a fog of some kind (sleep or otherwise!)

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 04:46:57 PM »
There is also another interesting option to consider...called a Maggiolina.  It's a collapsible roof top tent, folds down to a more aerodynamic view, much lighter also than the traditional more bulky roof top tents.

May be another consideration for you...usually they are smaller, so 1 person, or 2 very very snug.

:)
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 05:19:50 PM »
They have their place IF you are travelling and moving everyday.
They keep you way up off the ground away from any of the 10 most poisonous snakes in the world here in OZ, same can be said of crocs up in the remote northern regions. They are high enough to catch a cooling breeze.
IMO they are a younger persons thing, they are high, making the inevitable 2 am bladder call a pain, pissing in a bottle lying on your side to avoid the ladder equals wet bedding. Packing up isnt easy, up ladder,  reaching,stretching etc.
Have to be packed up everytime you need to use the vechicle so no setting up camp and then exploring, setting up on a trailer is ok as it can stay where you put it and still go exploring.
If putting on a trailer on a frame, put a hand brake and stabilisers on the trailer and make it level before setting the tent up.
My call on it
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Offline Bobic69

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 07:58:18 PM »
I've never used one but the hard shell ones look brilliant. Set up / pack away takes about 30 seconds and I imagine they be quite water proof.
Bellagio

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 08:16:16 PM »
Or you could find a hitch for your bike and pick up a pop up camper trailer. Biggest problem with this is, you start carrying way too much stuff. At least that’s my experience. The up side and there are many, being able to stand up to put clothes on, not sleeping on ground, and fairly quick set up and take down. And while it is true that you won’t feel much weight while riding, you always have that weight behind you. I pull mine more frequently now behind my Tahoe when we go places to Kayak.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 08:18:43 PM »

Lannis

Snakes, scorpions & spiders, not to mention your local/regional variety of associated stinging ants etc.

It's a tent (i.e. it has sides & ends), so you can't "roll out".
Severus bastardis

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 08:21:47 PM »
OK, don't think I'll get any flack with this subject! Lol.

Anyone use or have a roof top tent and what do you think of it? Am thinking about mounting a ladder rack system on the sides of my very sturdy utility/MC trailer With 27" sides to accommodate the install of one above the bike carry area. Use as a base camp and explore from there. Have good welding skills, ladder racks are surprising cheap with 400 lb capacity (so my wife would have to stay home!!))) and I could even carry kayaks if so inclined. With a zip on annex room for dressing, storage or a porta-potty (so my wife "might" come along)) it seems like a good solution.

And it keeps my "beautiful" MGX covered!! OK, let-r-rip.

I think they are great for camping in bear country and don't want to have a hard sided camper.  I have found them to be pricey for what you get or more specifically what you don't get. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 08:28:57 PM »
Here are a few real life pictures from a few of our Land Rover adventures with several clubs over the years.  I always camp on the ground or sleep in the Rover if bears are around, but many members have the RTT's. (Roof Top Tents).

For a good sturdy motorcycle trailer, one capable for holding the MGX, I'd recommend looking at the Maggiolina's rather than a Tepui or Eezi Awn...much lighter, aerodynamic and easier to pop up and collapse.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 08:37:41 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 09:31:57 PM »
Here are a few real life pictures from a few of our Land Rover adventures with several clubs over the years.  I always camp on the ground or sleep in the Rover if bears are around, but many members have the RTT's. (Roof Top Tents).

For a good sturdy motorcycle trailer, one capable for holding the MGX, I'd recommend looking at the Maggiolina's rather than a Tepui or Eezi Awn...much lighter, aerodynamic and easier to pop up and collapse.

Now that is a sight I have never seen in person.  Land Rovers are the ultimate soccer mom vehicle in my area.  Don't think I have ever seen a dirty one.  LOL!  They even had an off road test track at the dealership years ago to show how capable they are. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 10:51:24 PM »
Now that is a sight I have never seen in person.  Land Rovers are the ultimate soccer mom vehicle in my area.  Don't think I have ever seen a dirty one.  LOL!  They even had an off road test track at the dealership years ago to show how capable they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpooZyTo1nI     :grin:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 11:15:19 PM »
I think they are great for camping in bear country and don't want to have a hard sided camper.  I have found them to be pricey for what you get or more specifically what you don't get.

Originally developed in "Seth Effrica" to protect from those creatures - principally large cats - that were historically higher on the food chain than the genus Homo.  Consequently, those original  SA designs, in extreme duty canvas, are still the best (& usually the most expensive).  Hannibal Safari are generally regarded as the best of the best, but are generally pretty big & heavy.  Up to 90kg!

Roof racks are usually Dynamically weight-rated for active use;  i.e. when driving.  They can (&will) cope safely with much, much heavier Static loads, such as one, 2, 3 or even in the biggest models 4 lard-arsed human bods.  Static load capacity is usually at least quadruple the Dynamic load rating.

An additional benefit is that in more extreme climatic conditions a meter or two of altitude will help the user/s escape the worst of radiant & convective heat from a hot land surface, not to mention the phenomenon of hoar frost at ground level.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 11:22:29 PM by Knuckle Dragger »
Severus bastardis

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2020, 11:20:24 PM »

A few more fun shots...have thousands of them from many Land Rover adventures...nothin g better than getting a Rover into the dirt and letting it play in its element!
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2020, 05:32:18 AM »
 :thumb:  Very nice photos. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2020, 01:45:24 PM »
Thank you!! Great fun adventures!!

Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2020, 02:40:58 PM »
Might check in over at ADV Rider alot of them use them.

Offline roadventure

• Gosling
  • There is no try; There is only do.
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2020, 03:01:52 PM »
dave
Millville, DE

"Moto Guzzi....you're never more than 500 miles from your nearest dealer"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here