Author Topic: Checking a Torque Wrench  (Read 15084 times)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Checking a Torque Wrench
« on: March 17, 2015, 12:05:23 AM »
I know there are probably many firms out there that will check the accuracy of a torque wrench;

Give us a few cheap and dirty ways to check them at home,
The obvious way is against a known weight on a lever but if you don't have that, then what.

I ask because I have 2 reading quite a bit different, like 30%
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Checking a Torque Wrench
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 12:41:09 AM »
I know there are probably many firms out there that will check the accuracy of a torque wrench;

Give us a few cheap and dirty ways to check them at home,
The obvious way is against a known weight on a lever but if you don't have that, then what.

I ask because I have 2 reading quite a bit different, like 30%

We used to get one guy in the shop to pay for his calibration and then we'd hook his wrench up to ours and see if they clicked at the same time.  If they needed adjusting we'd buy his beer.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 02:59:57 AM »
  I have a square hole socket that allows me to mate up my pointer indicater wrench with my click type wrench.
  Grab the handles firmly and torque ad read the needle when the other clicks.

BTW, with click types you should return the vernier to zero after use.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 03:01:49 AM by Sasquatch Jim »
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 05:39:31 AM »
 I have a square hole socket that allows me to mate up my pointer indicater wrench with my click type wrench.
  Grab the handles firmly and torque ad read the needle when the other clicks.

BTW, with click types you should return the vernier to zero after use.

:+1
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 05:39:31 AM »

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 05:45:44 AM »
     I use a somewhat accurate fish weight scale. Hook a strong cord 12 inches out from the centerline of you socket and pull with the fish scale. With some simple math you can figure what the scale should read as the torque wrench clicks. You can use a section of pipe around the handle and get say 3 feet away from the centerline for the higher settings. Using the 3 ft. set up applying 20 Lbs 3 ft away gets you 60 ftlbs at the nut you are doing up. The same principle applies be it Ft lbs or inch lbs, just use some math. Just use a vise to hold the square bit of your wrench while calibrating.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:49:50 AM by acogoff »
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 08:37:45 AM »
Glad I use bending beam torque wrenches. If it is zeroed, it is calibrated.
 :BEER:
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 08:44:02 AM »
Here's my never-fail method:  use the wrench to tighten up an oil drain bolt.  If the threads in the oilpan strip, you know the wrench is out of adjustment.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 11:20:05 AM »
I manage a collection of tools that my employer gets calibrated once a year for ISO 9001 purposes. The calibration house charges $30 to do a torque wrench.

My veteran mechanic buddy says the difference in readings between a pricey torque wrench and a Harbor Freight special can run 10%.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 11:50:46 AM »
Glad I use bending beam torque wrenches. If it is zeroed, it is calibrated.
 :BEER:

I use a bending beam for some stuff. But sometimes the position you must work in prevents getting a look at the scale.. . And there's been a few recent videos  here of so called expert bike builders you use a torque wrench incorrectly.

Offline garbln

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 12:32:13 PM »
I manage a collection of tools that my employer gets calibrated once a year for ISO 9001 purposes. The calibration house charges $30 to do a torque wrench.

My veteran mechanic buddy says the difference in readings between a pricey torque wrench and a Harbor Freight special can run 10%.

I ran the Cal lab at a large Mfg plant for a number of years, and torque wrenches were one of the things we maintained in house.  Checking them out once in a while is a good idea, but some things to keep in mind are.  The low end of the range on a given wrench has the poorest accuracy, try not to use the bottom 25-30% of the range, some are better but this is a good rule of thumb.  Exercise the wrench before use, meaning if you plan to to torque to 30 ft lbs, torque a dummy nut or bolt to that torque first than do the the real thing.  The difference in applied torque between two people using the same torque wrench can be significant 10-20% at times.  All people using torque wrenches at our plant were given a training session on how to use a wrench properly.  A strait smooth pull with as few extensions as possible is best.  Just try to use the wrench with the same smooth pull every time and you will do fine.

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 01:42:32 PM »
Working in an aircraft maintenance hangar I'm lucky enough to have access to calibrated torque wrench checking equipment.
Not only can I check how accurate my wrench is but as I can see the torque read out rise as I apply force, it's amazing to see how easy it is to get, what everyone thinks is a highly accurate method, so wrong. As said above, smooth, consistent applied force is the way to accurately torque up fasteners.

Offline LaGrasta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 05:10:49 PM »
You can buy style, but you have to build character.

'10 Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic
'03 Moto Guzzi VII Sport
'14 Kawasaki KLX250S
'89 Honda GB500tt
'82 Honda GL500 bobber
…and two step-through scooters too.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 05:14:56 PM »
Interesting that training should be so important. Duh, I pester people about that on a regular basis, I should have suspected.

That's the problem when a process looks like a no-brainer - it's not necessarily so.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 05:27:01 PM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 06:33:51 PM »
Some interesting response, I think I like the fish scale method the best, nice and compact. The scale can also be used with a regular wrench where the torque wrench won't fit.
A luggage scale might work too

Wayne, I assume you have a beam scale with the little pop out pin, my simple pointer one is next to useless.

Shirley I'm not the only one who finds torque figures stated in Foot Pounds instead of Pounds Feet annoying, even the torque wrench has it backwards
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:34:48 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

ridingron

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 07:00:24 PM »
Shirley I'm not the only one who finds torque figures stated in Foot Pounds instead of Pounds Feet annoying, even the torque wrench has it backwards

OK, I'll bite. Why do you prefer pound feet as opposed to foot pounds. Wrong word plural?

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 07:37:54 PM »
Pounds Feet sounds like a tribal name for a clog dancer.  Mine is Runs-With-Scissors.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 07:57:20 PM »
I usually fart when mine hits 120 ft lbs. Close enough  :BEER:

Offline Larry_77084

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 11:08:12 PM »
05 KTM 525 EXC
12 Norge GT 8V White
01 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Silver
02 Moto Guzzi EV, White
97 BMW 1100 GS

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Re: Checking a Torque Wrench
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 11:24:05 PM »
Now that's the way to do it.
Holy jeez that was funny. Blue electrical tape. Black epoxy tape. Hot glue Bic pen. That had me going. He cut titanium with a Swiss army knife scissor. I'm still rolling. Wow. Awesome.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 11:27:37 PM »
Wayne, I assume you have a beam scale with the little pop out pin, my simple pointer one is next to useless.

Just a normal beam scale. Couple of them actually. I did add some manual markings the underside so they are usefully when inverted.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 12:30:25 AM »
OK, I'll bite. Why do you prefer pound feet as opposed to foot pounds. Wrong word plural?

Because Foot Pounds are a unit of work as in 550 ft/lb per second = 1 horsepower

A pound foot is 1 lb force acting on a one foot lever - no work done

It's ok for the average guy to mix up his units but when it happens in engineering manuals and on tools it's too much IMHO

Apparently I'm not the only one it annoys

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:36:20 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Online Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 07:52:26 AM »
First time I heard Pound feet was on Motorweek in the early 80's. It may be correct, but not the way it was taught in any school or college I attended in the seventies. Since it was imprinted in my brain back then, I don't think in my mind it will ever change it.  I understand it is not right but that will help me much.  Mike

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 10:03:36 AM »
I picked up a digital luggage scale, it reads out in pounds or kilograms, it seems to align nicely with the click
of my wrench.

Re pound feet / foot pound
At high school, we had a Physics instructor, Mr. Webber, needless to say he was nicknamed "Spider" but never within his hearing. He was a real stickler for getting the terms correct and had you learning all the laws of Physics by heart.
He used to recite passages from a text book and waited for us to write it down, one day I realized he was using me to set the pace, I could speed up or slow down the class just by looking up, or keeping my eyes down, I always looked forward to his class, he was a big influence.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 11:09:18 AM »
In the old Allison engine fuel control manuals it specifies inch/ounces for things, I don't know if Rolls Royce rewrote those or not. Thirty five years ago I heard that NASA did a study and found that the most consistently accurate torque  of fasteners was achieved by an experienced mechanic doing it by feel. I have tried to find that document but haven't been able to so I wonder if that is an urban legend . I like to use my torque wrenches but would hesitate to use one on a drain plug, for that I use the ever popular "feel"
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

biking sailor

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 12:05:40 PM »
So...

is "Foot-Pounds" a number of pounds at one foot and "Pound-Feet" a number of feet at one pound?   ;D

Love to stir the pot!

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 12:27:49 PM »
    One of my farm trucks has the older Budd stamped wheels and they are to be torqued to 400 foot pounds, so a 3/4 breaker bar with a long pipe extension are used. I figure out where my 180 pounds has to stand along that pipe to achieve this torque-2.222 FT. Stepping off a stool with all my weight on one foot at that point gets the proper torque. So you could say it's 180 pounds on one foot. If two feet were used it would be called Feet Pounds. This is getting a bit off topic though- ft lbs , pounds feet who cares.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:09:11 PM by acogoff »
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 06:44:30 PM »
In the old Allison engine fuel control manuals it specifies inch/ounces for things, I don't know if Rolls Royce rewrote those or not. Thirty five years ago I heard that NASA did a study and found that the most consistently accurate torque  of fasteners was achieved by an experienced mechanic doing it by feel. I have tried to find that document but haven't been able to so I wonder if that is an urban legend . I like to use my torque wrenches but would hesitate to use one on a drain plug, for that I use the ever popular "feel"

Ed the Rocket Scientist (really) told me the same thing. It was an internal study, and may or may not be available.  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 06:46:21 PM »
Now that's the way to do it.

Ichybon rox.. ;-T

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 07:36:29 PM »
In the last week or so I saw that BMW is recalling (oh they don't call it a recall...something like a technical adjustment) about 300,000 R and K bikes to replace a rear hub.  They say that the problem is due to owners using too much torque on the bolts holding the wheel to this hub.  This makes me wonder if it's merely a case of blame shifting or that we are all a bunch of klutzes. 

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here