Author Topic: Temperature Dip Stick - which one for 8V?  (Read 3031 times)

Offline Tazturtle

• Moto Guzzi - La moto la piu bella del mondo
  • Gaggle Hero
Temperature Dip Stick - which one for 8V?
« on: March 18, 2015, 09:22:06 PM »
Given all the interest in ambient temperatures, moisture, oil temp and 8V tappet wear I'm looking to buy a good quality RR dipstick with temp gauge to make some observations.

Anecdotally my 8V 1200 Sport seems to run pretty warm and I am usually a pretty exuberant rider, but I do ride all year round.

So which RR suits the 8V? I've searched online but not found the answer. Is it the 075?

Kurt
2012 1200 Sport 8V Corsa SE
2011 V7 Racer #749 (RIP)

"Guzzi is about the engine. Guzzi's about torque. Guzzi's about enjoyment in the riding experience." Miguel Galuzzi

"The Guzzi 750 is what BMW airheads used to be.  Simple, direct machines for riders who enjoy the Zen of engines" Sign216

Vasco DG

Re: Temperature Dip Stick - which one for 8V?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 12:23:26 AM »
Longest on they do I'd guess, the 8V has th deepest sump of any of 'em.

Pete

canuguzzi

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 11:01:32 PM »
I'm curious, when would you look at the dipstick to check temps and why? It would seem that unless you are looking at it constantly or its within your line of sight, it isn't really going to do much for you.

If you park the bike and then get down to check it or look down to see it, that doesn't have too much meaning. I guess you could shut off the engine but that might be tough in traffic and by the time you read the gauge and realized it was too hot, who knows how long it was running that hot?

If you are concerned with temps wouldn't a handlebar mounted gauge be the way to go?

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 08:13:16 AM »
I'm curious, when would you look at the dipstick to check temps and why? It would seem that unless you are looking at it constantly or its within your line of sight, it isn't really going to do much for you.

If you park the bike and then get down to check it or look down to see it, that doesn't have too much meaning. I guess you could shut off the engine but that might be tough in traffic and by the time you read the gauge and realized it was too hot, who knows how long it was running that hot?

If you are concerned with temps wouldn't a handlebar mounted gauge be the way to go?

Obviously, it's not for real-time monitoring on the fly.  You need to be stopped to be able to bend over and look at it.

But, if you're curious about how your bike is running, it's something that can be monitored and noted over time.

Better than not knowing at all.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 08:13:16 AM »

Vasco DG

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 11:34:02 AM »
With the 8V engine which grossly over cools in cold, wet weather it will be a very useful, low-tech, way of judging how much of the oil cooler you need to block off to ensure adequate oil temperature is maintained. You don't need to look at it the whole time unless you have a memory like a goldfish.

Pete

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 02:33:22 PM »

Offline Tazturtle

• Moto Guzzi - La moto la piu bella del mondo
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 04:39:28 PM »
Thanks guys  ;-T

2012 1200 Sport 8V Corsa SE
2011 V7 Racer #749 (RIP)

"Guzzi is about the engine. Guzzi's about torque. Guzzi's about enjoyment in the riding experience." Miguel Galuzzi

"The Guzzi 750 is what BMW airheads used to be.  Simple, direct machines for riders who enjoy the Zen of engines" Sign216

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here