Author Topic: Replacing exhaust gasket, Stelvio NTX  (Read 15108 times)

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
Replacing exhaust gasket, Stelvio NTX
« on: September 01, 2014, 06:17:35 PM »
My trusty Stelvio decided to discharge one of it's exhaust pipe gaskets while we were at the Ohio rally last weekend.  This is not an uncommon problem so I immediately understood why the bike was suddenly sounding more like a gay pirate 'loud pipes save lives'.  I had a 575 mile ride home to listen to that racket (thank goodness I have wonderful ear plugs).  

The gasket happens to also be a Kawasaki part # 11060-1130 (correction!  11060-1330) and I had two on hand so today I did the replacement.  As a guide to others I'll offer this:

a 13mm socket needed to loosen the clamp which secures the joint between header pipe and "Y" collector.  That's where the gasket lives.

Left side gasket is still in place but looking pretty shabby.  

Old gasket on left, new on right.
The right side gasket was completely gone, thus the loud racket as I went down the road pissing off everyone.
Each header pipe must be detached from the bike so you can make the replacement.  That's not a big deal, just two 10mm nuts each.  I bought a exhaust pipe expander from Harbor Freight so I could expand the collector openings.  Otherwise this was a pretty simple job.  The key is to have the gaskets on hand so I'd recommend any Stelvio owner to order a pair of the gaskets now.  You will probably need them and they don't go bad in storage.  Of course, if you like a loud bike you will be in heaven and don't need no stinkin' gaskets.

Peter Y.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 08:07:47 PM by pyoungbl »
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Online Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
Re: Replacing exhaust gasket, Stelvio NTX
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 06:23:32 PM »
Kawasaki part # 11060-1130

When I Google that part number, it comes up as a Kawasaki Oil Pump Gasket.

biking sailor

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 07:28:13 PM »
I think the part number is 11060-1330.  Been there, done that!

Edit, cost me about $11 and some change at my local Kawasaki dealer.  Fits a 2007 ZX6R.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:29:28 PM by biking sailor »

Offline menzies

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 07:32:53 PM »
Great info, thanks for the heads up on this.
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2017 V9 Roamer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 07:32:53 PM »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 08:19:07 PM »
Hey. man.  Tried to call you back earlier.

I posted this a while back:

By the way, I found the Kawasaki 11060-1330 seal that is supposed to fit the Stelvio for $7 each.

NW Vintage Cycle Parts

http://www.nwvintagecycleparts.com/search-results.php?q=11060-1330&st=spart

The key to keeping these intact, I think, is to tighten down the joint clamps very tightly.  I had been doing this with a 3/8 ratchet that I thought was sufficient.  I have since learned that a bigger wrench, longer handle, gives you the added torque that you need to tighten the pipe down on the graphite seal.

As I recall, I loosened the left header pipe and disconnected the muffler when I installed my new Kawasaki seal. They go in tight.  In fact, I had to spread the ends of the exhaust connector a bit to get the seal inside. 

Tighten the hell out of the clamps and later go back after a few heat cycles and do it again. My replacement seal have significant miles on them and they look safe and secure.

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 08:36:57 PM »
I had one go out. It was sort of a self inflicted wound. I had the header pipe off and that somehow damaged it. It was so loud, even GuzziSteve liked it.  :D

I believe that when I reassembled it and pushed the header pipe in, it cracked it. And once that pressed graphite gets damaged, it goes quick.
The official Guzzi part is not cheap. I'll need to order a spare or two.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:19:10 AM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 06:49:21 AM »
Has anyone, measured the exhaust system joint clamps and located another source for some hellacious heavy duty clamps to replace the stock pieces?

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 09:19:51 AM »
I measured 56mm as the diameter of the collector pipe...that's what the clamp has to go around.  As for clamping pressure, one of my clamps is already bottomed out, that is to say that the two knuckles are touching.  More clamping pressure won't bring them any closer but might keep them from backing out in the heat cycles.  I, too, would love to find a replacement for these clamps.

Peter Y.

Petrov

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 09:46:59 AM »
What are these gaskets made of ? Some lead compound?

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 10:19:18 AM »
They appear to be a reinforced graphite compound.  Too lightweight for lead.

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 10:41:58 AM »
In my area an irrigation store sells stainless clamps in various sizes that work great on exhaust pipes. They're made to hold high pressure irrigation lines, so you can really tighten them up.   :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 08:21:15 PM »
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:24:30 PM by leafman60 »

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 08:54:29 PM »
Yes, McMaster-Carr has the type needed but just nothing in the right size.  We need the 316 Stainless with stainless bolt.

Phil_P

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 04:58:33 AM »
Slip a few thicknesses of shim stock between the clamp and the pipe and that should give you a bit more 'range' to wind up onto.

Phil

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 06:26:57 AM »
Yes, McMaster-Carr has the type needed but just nothing in the right size.  We need the 316 Stainless with stainless bolt.

They have 2 1/4 inch plus.  I thought you said the pipe was 56 MM.  That's about 2 1/4 inches.

Product Detail

Type 304 Stainless Steel Easy-to-Install Bolt Clamp, 2-5/32" to 2-5/16" Clamp Diameter Range, 25/32" Band Width
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:32:04 AM by leafman60 »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 06:27:59 AM »
Slip a few thicknesses of shim stock between the clamp and the pipe and that should give you a bit more 'range' to wind up onto.

Phil

Yes but, if your clamps are worn, a replacement would be better.

I have also thought about replacing the graphite seals with metal tubing.

BMW tends to use a slip-over connection held together with springs for their exhaust systems.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:29:29 AM by leafman60 »

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 12:09:32 PM »
Leaf, here's what you are looking for: https://www.dixonvalve.com/product/TBC225  2.094" ~2.312" range.  This clamp is 300 series stainless but the nut is alloy.  The nut is nylock.  My local hydraulic supply house had them in stock for about $5.75 each.  The band is 3/4" wide so it is not as wide as OEM but you could always use two side by side.  One huge improvement is that the band actually extends in a 360 degree arc, even under the bolt area so all of the pipe is covered.  I bought two of the 225 and two of the 238 (next size larger) just in case.

Peter Y.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 12:34:09 PM »
good

Mine is okay for now

Offline Motorhead

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 11:18:15 AM »
Thanks for the photos pyoungbl!
I noticed a leak on the right-hand side on Monday, and I remembered reading about this in the three main Goose forums (this one, ADV and Todd's), so I wasn't surprised it came to me. While the Kawasaki seal is on it's way I Googled "Replacing a Stelvio exhaust gasket" because I was wondering which end of the pipe I'll need to remove, and your post came up. I truly appreciate the info you and everyone else provides - I've been saving a lot of money thanks to these forums!  ;-T
11 Stelvio 1200 ABS
13 BMW F800GS
09 KLX 250

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 01:10:58 PM »
PETER:

Seems you are suffering a defective motorcycle. As a public service, I'll give you $1,500, sight unseen, to relieve you of this burden.
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 05:49:31 PM »
I had my Left side gasket blow out on me a couple of weeks ago.  I wrapped the pipe with Muffler bandage and then inserted it into the other pipe ,tightened it down and works great.  went to the dealer and complained and they called me today to bring it in and they will replace it under warranty.  they already ordered a new gasket for me.  I'm going to have them take care of it but in the mean time I will be ordering the Kawi gaskets.  thanks for the heads up.
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." �Groucho Marx
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 06:09:46 PM »
Be sure to keep those clamps tight.  After several heat cycles, that joint tends to get loose and that seems to be the cause of the gasket blow-outs.  Use a wrench long enough for serious leverage and tighten the hell out of the clamp bolt.

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 06:02:15 PM »
Does anyone know if this Kawasaki part will work on an 07 Norge header to collector?
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Don M

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 09:31:15 PM »
My exhaust was getting louder so I checked the gaskets and found one was about 1/3 missing.  I tried a muffler patch kit first, but it disintegrated on one commute to work.

So I bought a short length of exhaust pipe and cut it to 1 1/2 inch length.  The diameter was about the same as the smaller inner pipe, so I had to cut it and spread it to fit over it.  Then I cut a 1/4 inch section to fill in the gap.  This is a temporary solution.  I will order the Kawasaki gaskets to replace the spacer pipe. 

The fitment of the header pipes and the connector pipe seems poor.  I was not able to get them to overlap completely.  At best, each one has only a little more than 1/2 overlap.  If you make a full overlap on one connection, then the other one has very little overlap.  I think this contributes to the early failure of the gasket in the connection with the least overlap.  Also, there is a large gap between the inner pipe and the overlapping pipe.  Once the gasket becomes compressed, it is impossible for the clamp to make a tight connection.
2014 Stelvio NTX 1200
2006 Black Breva 1100
2003 California Aluminum (RIP)
2000 Kawasaki Concours

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 06:37:39 AM »
My exhaust was getting louder so I checked the gaskets and found one was about 1/3 missing.  I tried a muffler patch kit first, but it disintegrated on one commute to work.

So I bought a short length of exhaust pipe and cut it to 1 1/2 inch length.  The diameter was about the same as the smaller inner pipe, so I had to cut it and spread it to fit over it.  Then I cut a 1/4 inch section to fill in the gap.  This is a temporary solution.  I will order the Kawasaki gaskets to replace the spacer pipe. 

The fitment of the header pipes and the connector pipe seems poor.  I was not able to get them to overlap completely.  At best, each one has only a little more than 1/2 overlap.  If you make a full overlap on one connection, then the other one has very little overlap.  I think this contributes to the early failure of the gasket in the connection with the least overlap.  Also, there is a large gap between the inner pipe and the overlapping pipe.  Once the gasket becomes compressed, it is impossible for the clamp to make a tight connection.

That doesn't look right, Don.  I do not remember my Stelvio connections being that far apart.  Maybe you need to loosen everything up and try to move the connection closer together.  Also, once you get the proper seal in place, be sure to torque the clamp down tight.  Let it go through a few heat cycles and re-tighten.  As I mentioned early on this old thread, I found better success using a 1/2" drive ratchet for greater tightening leverage.   After fixing the factory's first effort, I never had problems with this joint again.

Offline severely

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 07:13:38 AM »
I just blew out my gasket this week, very much appreciate the Kawasaki part # as they are 1/3 the price of Guzzi parts. Also like the clamp suggestions. This is why I'm on this board.

Offline sidmonsters

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 08:32:27 AM »
Paul:  My presence at the Ohio Rally (sorry I didn't get to meet you, BTW) was to show all the proper way to get this fixed, which is as follows:  ride around cluelessly while noise polluting that beautiful part of the country, allow the caring Guzzi community to recognize your voluble ignorance (and progressive deafness) and point out same to Jim Hamlin, who will then approach you and graciously repair the problem with parts ON HAND while you stand over his prone body pointing a flashlight in all the wrong places on the bike and chat with his lovely partner Jo.  Seriously, you people need to pay closer attention :undecided:
Thanks again to all--and another plus, Rodekyll wandered our way post-rally and taught me some good stuff and got my forks sorted.  Turned into an extended stay due to the delay in getting parts mailed to us but we enjoyed every minute (David probably felt like he'd been committed to some low-security psyche ward).  Fork seals seem to be a prone-to-early-failure item also on these Stelvios, so the scarcity of replacements might be a heads-up to others
Steve
I intend to live forever.  So far, so good....
2013 Stelvio NTX
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2007 Vespa 250ie

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 12:05:53 PM »
I just blew out my gasket this week, very much appreciate the Kawasaki part # as they are 1/3 the price of Guzzi parts. Also like the clamp suggestions.

PM "markcarovilli" on this website.  I believe he has the Kawa P/N you are looking for.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Don M

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2018, 01:31:10 PM »
leafman,

I did loosen everything up, but I tightened the header nuts first. I wanted the header pipe to seat well.

I read  back through your earlier posts and saw that you talked about using metal tubing as an alternative to the gasket. That is basically what I did.  Not sure if is a good long term solution.

I've tightned and retightened the clamps.  Problem is the gasket crushes. It will never stay tight.
2014 Stelvio NTX 1200
2006 Black Breva 1100
2003 California Aluminum (RIP)
2000 Kawasaki Concours

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2018, 05:48:55 PM »
PM "markcarovilli" on this website.  I believe he has the Kawa P/N you are looking for.

The part # is in my old post above.

Kawasaki 11060-1330

You can find them from several sources. 

I just found one on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/CALTRIC-Exhaust-KAWASAKI-11060-1330-11009-1680/dp/B01DYR4UGA

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:52:12 PM by leafman60 »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here