Author Topic: High Powered Motorcycle Can Damage i-Phone  (Read 764 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
High Powered Motorcycle Can Damage i-Phone
« on: September 14, 2021, 02:35:46 PM »
Apple has published a new support document on its website warning users that cameras on their iPhone devices can be damaged when attached to high-powered motorcycles due to the ‘high amplitude vibrations’ of their engines.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/7460252626/apple-warns-that-high-powered-motorcycles-can-damage-autofocus-image-stabilization-in-iphones
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Frulk

• New Egg
Re: High Powered Motorcycle Can Damage i-Phone
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 03:10:04 PM »
“High powered motorcycles....” another posting with no Guzzi content... :whip2:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 03:19:32 PM »
“High powered motorcycles....” another posting with no Guzzi content... :whip2:

That did cross my mind when I posted it.   :wink:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Frulk

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 03:32:14 PM »
I’ve had an IPhone6+ riding in RAM X mounts on 4 different bikes for approx 5 years. I’ve read via various sites during that time about iPhones failing as a result of being mounted on motorcycles long term.

I do notice while on the Road King that the phone screen will activate occasionally as if I have an incoming call when none actually is there.

For most of my phones life it’s been on a 2013 CB1100. A bike noted by some of its owners as transmitting high frequency vibrations from its in line 4 motor to the hands causing occasional numbness.  Seems the phone has taken that in stride.

You can bet if I sink the substantial chunk of change that’s required for a new iPhone into a replacement unit I’ll be looking at potential options to isolate the phone.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 03:34:13 PM by Frulk »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 03:32:14 PM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 04:14:16 PM »
high amplitude vibrations =  Harley
John L 

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 04:24:11 PM »
I have often wondered about the durability when a phone is on a ram mount more from the road bumps and vibrations than from the high powered motor vibes.
Anyway, I have an android and do not mount it on my bike. In my pocket it stays fwiw. ymmv
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 04:35:31 PM »
On 3 occasions when I hooked my iPhone to my bike's USB port to charge,  and started the bike, the phone dialed 911. 

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 05:23:27 PM »
high amplitude vibrations =  Harley

High frequency vibrations are what is doing it. How many Harleys have you seen with phones mounted? 

I posted the same article on the Road Glide forum and a few posted that they have been doing that for years with no issue.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 05:25:22 PM »
 :popcorn:
John L 

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 07:11:11 PM »
I have often wondered about the durability when a phone is on a ram mount more from the road bumps and vibrations than from the high powered motor vibes.
Anyway, I have an android and do not mount it on my bike. In my pocket it stays fwiw. ymmv
inditx

In your pocket is a good idea.  A guy on a forum reported being run off the road and was injured.  His phone was in his tank bag and he had to crawl to the bike to call for help.  Took him what felt like a long time.  When he posted this on a forum years ago I made the decision to carry my phone in my riding jacket pocket. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 07:23:12 PM »
Debra's 6S Plus camera went all wavy after being mounted on her handle bar riding from Central Oklahoma to Fredericksburg, Texas this spring. Stabilization has been screwed up ever since. She rides an FJ09, and had just gotten a new mount. Never had a problem with the old mount.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 10:36:05 PM »
In your pocket is a good idea.  A guy on a forum reported being run off the road and was injured.  His phone was in his tank bag and he had to crawl to the bike to call for help.  Took him what felt like a long time.  When he posted this on a forum years ago I made the decision to carry my phone in my riding jacket pocket.

I also keep an old brass whistle in my riding jacket.  It for when the phone doesn’t work. It’s hard to yell if I’m laying in a ditch with a busted rib.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 07:09:05 AM »

I also keep an old brass whistle in my riding jacket.  It for when the phone doesn’t work. It’s hard to yell if I’m laying in a ditch with a busted rib.

:thumb:

Mine is in "My Essentials" ditty bag, for when hiking.  Now I need to get a second one for the jacket.

I remember going down the interstate one time and a lady come scrambling up the the side out of the woods.  She had driven off in her car and know one would have known, and probably never found her if she had been injured.  Even a whistle would not have helped her situation. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 07:37:09 AM »
Good information 👍

Dan

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 07:53:03 AM »
I use the QuadLock case and moto mount, they offer (and I have) an anti-vibration plate that fits between the mount and the phone.  It cuts the vibration quite a lot, but deff not 100%. Only been using it on the Ambo (luckily not a 'high powered' bike lol) for about 2k miles. We will see how it goes.

I've had several iphones over the years develop the camera fuzz/blur issue, had no idea it was associated with vibration messing up the camera. But none of those phones were ever hard-mounted to my bike.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2021, 07:58:50 AM »

So is this only on iPhones??. How about Motorola's, Samsungs etc? Anyone......Bueler?

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 08:13:23 AM »
      So is this only on iPhones??. How about Motorola's, Samsungs etc? Anyone......Bueler?

Paul B :boozing:

Mostly iPhones. Something about their camera design. I have seen a couple of non-iPhone users have issues, but it is rare.

My Samsung's has been on the handlebar rain or shine. No issues for years and years. My Garmin's though, fell apart.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 08:58:33 AM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here