Author Topic: How cold is too cold?  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
How cold is too cold?
« on: January 07, 2022, 04:46:55 PM »
I was pulling SP1000 cylinders between leaving the house for work and getting into the car this morning and it felt pretty cold in the garage.  There is no heat and it was about 30F.  I’ll work down to about 25 but shorten up the time to an hour or so.  Time for a heater.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
Re: How cold is too cold?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 04:50:41 PM »
Ill ride down to 30F but I am not working on a bike in my garage unless at least 40. Those portable electric heaters do a pretty good job after an hour or so, depending on the size of ones garage of course.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 04:53:36 PM »
Frozen?!?  (Yes.....FROZEN!!)  :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh:

My refrigerator stopped working recently....turns out the heater / defroster was encased in a solid block of ice...

Had to replace the entire control panel also....

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 05:21:36 PM »
May I offer a suggestion 🤔

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 05:21:36 PM »

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 06:24:09 PM »
I promised myself in retirement I'd have a conditioned garage/workshop.  So now life is good when it comes time to service a bike.  No more numb hands in the winter or leaving the garage door open in the summer only to be devoured by mosquitoes!  A garage is not ideal to heat and cool though.  Lots of gaps around the doors let cold air in.  So in the winter, when the temps drop well below 30 degrees (like tonight as I write this...low teens!) I set the thermostat to 50 in an effort to keep my utility bills under control.  Still, it's wonderful not to have to wipe the sweat out of my eyes in the summer or worry about bikes that are too cold to start in the winter. 

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 06:40:57 PM »
I promised myself in retirement I'd have a conditioned garage/workshop.  So now life is good when it comes time to service a bike.  No more numb hands in the winter or leaving the garage door open in the summer only to be devoured by mosquitoes!  A garage is not ideal to heat and cool though.  Lots of gaps around the doors let cold air in.  So in the winter, when the temps drop well below 30 degrees (like tonight as I write this...low teens!) I set the thermostat to 50 in an effort to keep my utility bills under control.  Still, it's wonderful not to have to wipe the sweat out of my eyes in the summer or worry about bikes that are too cold to start in the winter.

Yep, I hate those snowbank jobs.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 07:01:13 PM »
19 below zero F is too cold, I have not left the house all day. Dogs can't go to the off leash park either.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 08:02:31 PM »
We have had daytime high temperatures of -25C ~ -27C since before Christmas and night lows of -32C ~ -36C, windchils below -40C,

Too damn cold for way too long now, hopefuly it breaks by early next week.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 08:21:58 PM »
Propane tank…

Burner..

Closed garage..

A balmy 32f at the peak today…black asphalt melted snow

Removed the nytimes from my snowblower for 2.5 hrs

Resorted to a handheld propane burner to melt the compacted and frozen 64 pages of newsprint with plastic bags

Thank heavens it wasn’t the weekend edition

BFH. Largest lever w a sharp edge. Chipchipchip

Burning the mf worked
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2022, 08:42:57 PM »
19 below zero F is too cold, I have not left the house all day. Dogs can't go to the off leash park either.

That is way too cold.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 06:27:32 AM »
When I was a kid on the farm I told myself that I was never ever going to freeze my ass off doing chores, milking cows, etc. again. <shrug>  I literally fell off the tractor one time from hypothermia. Could barely make it to the house.
The shop is 68 degrees in the Winter, 74 degrees in the Summer.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

bobrebos

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 07:10:41 AM »
When I was a kid on the farm I told myself that I was never ever going to freeze my ass off doing chores, milking cows, etc. again. <shrug>  I literally fell off the tractor one time from hypothermia. Could barely make it to the house.
The shop is 68 degrees in the Winter, 74 degrees in the Summer.

Ahhh…reminds me of days on the farm in northeastern Wisconsin when I was young.  Brrrrrr….

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 09:11:33 AM »
"Motorcycle Cold" quote.  Maybe you've read it:

"There is cold, and there is cold on a motorcycle. Cold on a motorcycle is like being beaten with coldhammers while being kicked with cold boots, a bone bruising cold. The wind's big hands squeeze the heat out of my body and whisk it away; caught in a cold October rain, the drops don't even feel like water. They feel like shards of bone fallen from the skies of Hell to pock my face. I expect to arrive with my cheeks and forehead streaked with blood, but that's just an illusion, just the misery of nerves not designed for highway speeds."

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 09:17:14 AM »

Offline Royce

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 09:24:04 AM »
As a young man working construction, we always stopped working at -5 F but would often go play in it after the tools were picked up.  :)
Royce
K0RKK

Offline Jack Straw

• Hatchling
  • Laugh More, Live Longer
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2022, 10:00:27 AM »
I'm probably the biggest sissy on this forum about cold weather riding.   If it's under 60 degrees I likely won't get on the bike.

There, I said it :cool: 

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2022, 10:24:53 AM »
I've worked in the garage for short periods of time wearing my electric jacket and pants. Yeah, I was hooked up to a battery but it was better than nothing.

Now I have a propane tank and one of those open flame blasters, fan operated and it heats up the garage really fast.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 04:19:54 PM »
Decades ago I rode from Charlottesville to NYC in a freezing rain. The toll taker on the GW bridge had to unzip my jacket, take out the money, put the change back in and zip it up. He didn’t miss a beat.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2022, 10:17:03 AM »
Many years ago, I was with a group of Harley riders leaving Atlanta for Daytona Bike Week in March.  The day before we left, an Alberta Clipper brought in sub-freezing temps as far south as Jacksonville.
Nobody had heated gear or grips back then.  We all looked like the Michelien Man, bundled up as we were.

I know just how this kid feels:
https://youtu.be/QqQWg30BtdE

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2022, 04:09:59 PM »
My first long ride in the cold was from Keesler AFB in MS to Andrews Air Force Base in DC in 1979.

I started out in 40 degree rain, and ended up in 20 degree temps in VA and DC.

It took me three days  on my old XS-750. Full fairing and bags, but I froze my a$$off!!!

I've always thought that the two biggest temperature changes were below 60 and then
below 32.  'Course I've never lived in the desert......

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Offline xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2022, 07:17:17 PM »
Cold was the only reason I ever drafted a semi, staring at those taillights hoping a retread didn't come flying at me.
That was in the Poconos. I was working in New Jersey and knew it would be 10 degrees warmer if I could make the low lands.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 07:21:42 PM by xackley »
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2022, 10:26:23 AM »
Cripes! We may know one another. And I may have been driving (mostly tank work), or riding. Either way, most often in the dark.  R3~

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2022, 10:54:26 AM »
Cold was the only reason I ever drafted a semi, staring at those taillights hoping a retread didn't come flying at me.
That was in the Poconos. I was working in New Jersey and knew it would be 10 degrees warmer if I could make the low lands.
I did that during a torrential downpour coming back from camping in the upper Adirondacks.
Looking back it wasn't very smart, if he hammered on the brakes.

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2022, 11:13:43 AM »
I promised myself in retirement I'd have a conditioned garage/workshop.

Same here. My garage is very well insulated and sits on a massively thick concrete slab, which acts as a thermal mass. It takes a long time to get hot or cold in there. We are on time-of-day electrical rates, so in winter I set a 1,000 watt baseboard on a timer to go on part of every night. Then in the day when high rates take effect and the heater is off, the temperature drifts down maybe 10F degrees from peak, even with me opening the overhead door several times a day. In the summer, it just doesn't get very hot in there. But if there are three or four days of really hot, humid weather I'll leave the doors open in the cooler evening till I go to bed. 

As for biking in the cold, well, I wax my skis.

Offline DesertPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2022, 10:13:03 AM »
At Russia's Vostok Station in Antarctica -- the coldest place on Earth occupied by humans year-round -- winter temperatures can drop below the freezing point of carbon dioxide.

Compared to those guys, we're all slackers  :grin:

Offline Tiki Joe

• New Egg
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2022, 11:03:35 AM »
I can't handle working out in the cold.  My 3 car garage is insulated and drywalled so even in the dead of winter when the temps dip down in the single digits; the garage is still at least 35 degrees and actually rarely below 40 degrees.  Luckily I have a basement with a walkout that I can fit the Italian bikes through the door.  The Harleys are too wide so they stay in the garage. 

1997 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
1993 Ducati Superlight
2015 Harley Road Glide Special
2015 Harley Road King

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2022, 11:48:01 AM »
Polar Vortex finaly phucked off, like Canuck said it was cold up her.For us in Manitoba, .....-39 C with a Windchill of -51 C . Yesterday -1C .
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Offline SSGG Geezer

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2022, 11:23:45 PM »
Rode to work this afternoon in balmy 45 degree  F weather, with it being 33 F on the way home. 1C for my metric pals!  My thermometer on my V85 read 2 degrees F when I hit the driveway, so I think the salt on the road combined with frost created a wacked out temperature sensor.  The ride home was a bit chilly but worth it for the ride in.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2022, 06:57:33 AM »
I can't handle working out in the cold.  My 3 car garage is insulated and drywalled so even in the dead of winter when the temps dip down in the single digits; the garage is still at least 35 degrees and actually rarely below 40 degrees.  Luckily I have a basement with a walkout that I can fit the Italian bikes through the door.  The Harleys are too wide so they stay in the garage. 

Is there another bike next to the Superlight?  It’s too pretty to look away from.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2022, 07:56:55 AM »
Decades ago I rode from Charlottesville to NYC in a freezing rain. The toll taker on the GW bridge had to unzip my jacket, take out the money, put the change back in and zip it up. He didn’t miss a beat.

Circa 1980, I rode across the Golden Gate Bridge from Sausalito into San Francisco on my Kawasaki H2 in a rain and wind storm. The bridge was swaying so much it affected my ability to stay in my lane, but I was the only one on the bridge. When I got to the toll booth to pay my dollar, the uniformed men and women there were roaring with laughter, and they waved me past, refusing to accept my dollar toll.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here