Author Topic: Tire changer merged thread  (Read 11815 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: "tire change stations", anyone?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2018, 12:00:01 PM »
FWIW. I have the HF tire changer. I..uh.. looked at pictures of the Mojo blocks and Mojo lever, and I have lots of Delrin laying around, so...
The HF tire changer, Mojo blocks and Mojo lever will do a perfectly adequate job of changing tires. The first set at 40 bucks a whack paid for mine. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2018, 12:04:10 PM »
FWIW. I have the HF tire changer. I..uh.. looked at pictures of the Mojo blocks and Mojo lever, and I have lots of Delrin laying around, so...
The HF tire changer, Mojo blocks and Mojo lever will do a perfectly adequate job of changing tires. The first set at 40 bucks a whack paid for mine. <shrug>
                                                            :1: :thumb:
Rick

"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2018, 12:19:25 PM »
I had a No Mar for a while.  It's not as easy as it looks in the videos.  The low sidewall kinds of tires are pretty hard to remove and mount.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2018, 12:23:25 PM »
Harbor Freight changer here. Used it for years and likely 50 tire changes, including trailer and lawn tractors.
I'm happy with it.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2018, 12:23:25 PM »

Offline Steve Scott

• Gaggle Hero
  • Ride, Fettle, Repeat
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2018, 12:31:49 PM »
I've got one and use it fairly regularly for steel rimmed car, truck and trailer tires. Alloys get farmed out.
For bike tires I'm not sure if it's much better than a 5-gallon bucket with split garden hose over the rim and plain old tire spoons.
'79 Morini 500S
'00 'Guzzi Jackal
'67 Teisco ET-440
Spring Grove, PA USA

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2018, 12:51:26 PM »
I'm getting "deja vu all over again" - didn't we just discuss this last week? Come on warm weather...
 http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=95108.0
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 12:53:08 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »
Spend the money for the best tire machine you can find.  Use it for 20 years and enjoy the convenience of being able to change tires when you want, while saving money.  Sell the machine and get most of your money back.  I have a NoMar.  It's not as nice as a Coats professional machine but certainly does what I need.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2018, 01:22:55 PM »
Spend the money for the best tire machine you can find.  Use it for 20 years and enjoy the convenience of being able to change tires when you want, while saving money.  Sell the machine and get most of your money back.  I have a NoMar.  It's not as nice as a Coats professional machine but certainly does what I need.

Peter Y.

I won't argue with that except it takes up a *lot* of room. My shop is only 20'X40'. I just have threaded plugs in the shop floor, carry the HF changer in, bolt it down, change tires, remove and store.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Tire changer merged thread
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2018, 01:59:12 PM »
 :1: w/Chuck.  Most times I just use tire irons and 4x12 blocks of wood.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2018, 02:29:51 PM »
I'm getting "deja vu all over again" - didn't we just discuss this last week? Come on warm weather...

yeah, well.. some of us don't live on here, and sometimes things get missed. Sorry to have taken 30 seconds out of your day.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2018, 02:57:02 PM »
My HF changer has held up beautifully for use with both my bikes and my trailers/farm equipment. I�ve had it for nine years. I reiterate that I don�t use the long bar on motorcycle wheels and that I added �Mojo Blocks� to protect and more securely hold the rim in position. Also, mine is bolted to a concrete floor. Even steel wheels can be bent out of shape with that long bar. 9� Motion Pro tire levers work very well when used with a generous application of Ruglyde and good technique.

Lannis, it must be the rim-locks on all those old Britbikes...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2018, 03:11:48 PM »
Sheepdog... when you say "that long bar", you mean the bead breaker?

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2018, 03:24:40 PM »

The long bar (the 3.5� long red bar) may be used to provide leverage for the bead-breaker, but if used as a tire lever (like a No-Mar long bar), it can concentrate too much pressure on the flange of the rim, causing runout issues. I say this from experience (it costs about $200 to straighten a wheel). Save the long bar for tractor, trailer, or equipment wheels.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 03:28:34 PM by Sheepdog »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2018, 03:25:57 PM »

It's the bead breaker/ rim paint destroyer.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2018, 03:33:58 PM »
I just have threaded plugs in the shop floor, carry the HF changer in, bolt it down, change tires, remove and store.

This is a great idea, Chuck...

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2018, 03:55:38 PM »
This is a great idea, Chuck...

That's one of the good things about the HF changer.. a small footprint and easily carried. It *does* have to be bolted down, though, so putting some way to mount it in the shop was a no brainer.. one of the things I do best.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2018, 04:15:56 PM »
yeah, well.. some of us don't live on here, and sometimes things get missed. Sorry to have taken 30 seconds out of your day.

Wow, I was just joking! Sorry to ruffle your feathers...  :rolleyes:
Charlie

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2018, 05:04:46 PM »
I use zip ties and some wood to mount and dismount.  Then a dose of lighter fluid and a match to seat the bead.

Well, I used to.  Until my wife yelled at me for being so cheap and stupid.  Got a No-Mar.     Much better !
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2018, 05:21:30 PM »
My HF changer has held up beautifully for use with both my bikes and my trailers/farm equipment. I�ve had it for nine years. I reiterate that I don�t use the long bar on motorcycle wheels and that I added �Mojo Blocks� to protect and more securely hold the rim in position. Also, mine is bolted to a concrete floor. Even steel wheels can be bent out of shape with that long bar. 9� Motion Pro tire levers work very well when used with a generous application of Ruglyde and good technique.

Lannis, it must be the rim-locks on all those old Britbikes...

I hate rim-locks, but I use them on the Norton, which has pretensions to horsepower.   I've long since done away with them on the BSAs.

Having a home tire-changer is a sometimes convenience for me, when I already have the tire, and want to change it right now.   For example, I already have a 75% rear tire for the Stelvio, for when the 25% one that's on it now gets too far down, so I'll that myself.

If I'm planning ahead, I get my local shop to order the tire, carry in the wheel, and they change it and spin-balance it for $15 while I wait .... with a big tire changer that never touches the rim ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2018, 06:05:35 PM »
I hate rim-locks, but I use them on the Norton, which has pretensions to horsepower.   I've long since done away with them on the BSAs.

Having a home tire-changer is a sometimes convenience for me, when I already have the tire, and want to change it right now.   For example, I already have a 75% rear tire for the Stelvio, for when the 25% one that's on it now gets too far down, so I'll that myself.

If I'm planning ahead, I get my local shop to order the tire, carry in the wheel, and they change it and spin-balance it for $15 while I wait .... with a big tire changer that never touches the rim ...

Lannis

My local shop used to charge me $15.. then $17. Changed hands, and it went to $42. (!) I've never darkened their doors since. Bought a HF tire changer and get everything else on line. I hope the new owner.. oh, never mind.. he went out of business.. is happy.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2018, 07:18:51 PM »
My local shop used to charge me $15.. then $17. Changed hands, and it went to $42. (!) I've never darkened their doors since. Bought a HF tire changer and get everything else on line. I hope the new owner.. oh, never mind.. he went out of business.. is happy.

I think my limit would be $25.  I'm not saying that's the right price to make a profit, I'm just saying it would be my limit and I'd start prowling for a No-Mar ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Grant Borden

• New Egg
  • It's Time To Ride
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2018, 07:57:16 PM »
Denis,

In the event you haven't found a tire changer, I have a NoMar Cycle Hill CH200 changer and also their tire balancer that looks new I'm willing to part with.

Grant
1976 BMW R60/6
1980 Vespa P200E
1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000
2008 Kawasaki Concours14
2014 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome
2016 Royal Enfield Continental 535 GT

Offline flangeman_70

• Gosling
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2018, 02:27:03 AM »
I have one of thesehttp://www.olmaxmotors.pl/index.php/angebote/reifenmontiergeraet-tire-changer
Here is a videohttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk6TXAPzgabUlkWiRTUxoig
Excellent product, works as displayed and takes up minimal space when packed away.

Adam
You only went to school to learn how to learn

Adam

SP III 1990
V10 Centauro 1996

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2018, 06:22:52 AM »
a couple of years ago a buddy and I split the cost of one of these...

https://www.klsupply.com/tire-machines/k-l-mc680-tire-changer-with-optional-strongarm-ii.asp

While it does make things easy, as a novice, I find myself breaking a sweat just trying to use the machine. Sometimes I question its efficacy. Does make for lots of friends however.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline hauto

• Gosling
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2018, 07:07:57 AM »
I find myself breaking a sweat just trying to use the machine.
A friend had a shop with one of those. Been busting tires for years but that machine is an acquired taste. I have an home made bead breaker.I will look around for a stand,doing them on the ground is getting old.Or am I getting old?

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2018, 09:13:20 AM »
I knew a guy who used an auto rim with a piece of allthread fastened up the middle. He wingnutted the bike wheel to it and went after it with tire spoons. It’s funny about tire changing machines...once you get good at them, you’ll find it easier to do without one.

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2018, 09:26:54 AM »
I had a No Mar for a while.  It's not as easy as it looks in the videos.  The low sidewall kinds of tires are pretty hard to remove and mount.

And not that hard either...the more you use it and understand the proper technique it's not all that bad. I will also say that the NoMar is made much better than Harbor Freights.

Brian
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2018, 09:40:13 AM »
It's funny about tire changing machines...once you get good at them, you'll find it easier to do without one.

I couldn't agree less. Since I started using the Coats 200 changer, I wondered why I didn't buy one much sooner and there's no way I want to go back to doing it any other way.
Charlie

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2018, 10:26:12 AM »
Hah. You all kill me with your cost limits.

The only bike shop in town charges an hour labour per tire for mounting and balancing. That's a hair over $200 a set.

Back in the city, when I was there... I could get it done for about $50 a tire.

So, yeah... purchasing a tool to make it easier on me will pay for itself in about three changes. So... a season between my wife, myself and my Father-in-law.  Add in my brother-in-laws (and his brothers)  dirt bikes, and we're talking a few weeks to make it worth it.

I've changed more than enough tires, and fixed more than enough flat tubes that I know how. I'm just sick of working on 2X4s on the floor and fighting with spoons and c-clamps.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2018, 10:42:03 AM »
Hah. You all kill me with your cost limits.

The only bike shop in town charges an hour labour per tire for mounting and balancing. That's a hair over $200 a set.

Back in the city, when I was there... I could get it done for about $50 a tire.

So, yeah... purchasing a tool to make it easier on me will pay for itself in about three changes. So... a season between my wife, myself and my Father-in-law.  Add in my brother-in-laws (and his brothers)  dirt bikes, and we're talking a few weeks to make it worth it.

I've changed more than enough tires, and fixed more than enough flat tubes that I know how. I'm just sick of working on 2X4s on the floor and fighting with spoons and c-clamps.

I would have never bought a tire machine if it weren't for a local shop charging me some outlandish amount to install an overpriced tire on a wheel I brought in. PLus I had to drop it off one day and pick it up the next. I ended up spending something like $300 on a what would now costs me $120 in tire and 10 minutes labor.

Added benefits of rolling your own is I get fresh tires online I want and not what the dealer is trying to sell out of his aging stock at at least a 40% savings over buying local. Tires are sitting at my doorstep within 48 hours of ordering and I can change them whenever I want/need too. I can also further save money by running tires until they are worn out. Lots of folks get rid of tires that have a few thousand miles left on them because they are going on a trip and want fresh tires. Since it isn't cost effective to have a dealer swap them back after the trip a tire with decent tread gets tossed. Having my own tire machine and a little labor I can swap tires in/out of rotation depending on what my travel plans are. The tire currently on the rear of my touring rig has been off the rim at least once. After my last trip I put the old tire back on to continuing using up the last 500 to 700 miles it has left riding locally.

So in the long run the dealer who overcharged me ultimately did me a huge favor and save me money in the long run. My tire machine is the only tool in my arsenal that has paid for itself in cases of beer when I change tires for friends.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here