Author Topic: CARC Swing Arm Bearings - don’t think it can’t happen to you  (Read 1680 times)

Online cappisj1

• Gosling
60,000 miles and I did not listen to all the warnings. Have your swing arm bearings greased sooner then later.

image upload

pete roper

Re: CARC Swing Arm Bearings - don’t think it can’t happen to you
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 08:11:20 PM »
Good grief! Didn't you notice the handling going wonky?

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 07:50:13 AM »
 :laugh:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 11:00:33 AM »
OK, now you know that it's just a 2 hour job.....unless it went so far as to eat up some other parts.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 11:00:33 AM »

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 11:10:34 AM »
That's brown pant mess  territory......

Online cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 11:18:01 AM »
Only had the bike a year. I did not feel any sloppy suspension problems. Yes, very easy to do and everything else looks good.

I am having problems finding the bearings. Not sure if the numbers will be readable on those old ones.

What is the SKS numbers for this bearing?

pete roper

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 02:53:27 PM »
Although the bearings themselves are common enough what makes them odd is the flush fitting seal design around the outer edge of the cone that seals, (Rather haphazardly) against the frame. While single RS seals are readily available in the aftermarket they all have seals that sit proud of the surface of the bearing which prevents the installation of the swingarm because they are too wide.

I've searched extensively and not been able to source ones that wil work in the aftermarket so unless you have an awful out of time on your hands I'd just order a set from your dealer and be done with it.

Pete

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 03:27:29 PM »
As my less than a year old Griso was down waiting on replacement deer hunting parts, I took the opportunity to pull the swing arm and can report there was no lubrication (grease) more than what oil is normally present in a new bearing package. The shock linkage barely had any either.

It really is something that needs to be done to all of the bikes. Note, of my 2008 1200 Sport, 2013 Stelvio, and above mentioned 2016 Griso, only the Stelvio had any trace of grease added at assembly, and it was just a small smear not nearly enough worked in, IMHO.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here