Author Topic: Nearly bought a V7 today....  (Read 8189 times)

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
Nearly bought a V7 today....
« on: April 12, 2019, 05:38:35 PM »
The V7 line has never been my favorite.  They don’t have enough poke to be my sole motorcycle so I’ve always sort of dismissed them.  Not because they aren’t good looking....I’ve always thought they look like a proper motorcycle.  I’ve been thinking about getting a second bike for a while so suddenly they’re on my radar.  My 1400 is a flawed machine.  Mainly because it’s 700lbs.  I don’t jump on it to ride two miles for the newspaper or a coffee.  It’s a bit like trying to commute with a dump truck.  I want something light that I can roll up a ramp into the back of my truck alone.  I’d like to ride on gravel again.  I want a standard. 

I went to a dealer this morning who had 7 or 8 V7’s and I was shocked....I don’t like the V7III in person.  In photos, they look great but in person I thought the valve covers were out of proportion and I really, really dislike painted exhausts.  I also don’t like the side covers.  Of all the variants I only liked two; the Milano and the yellow Stone.  I wouldn’t think the color gray would be especially attractive but it sure is in the flesh and the yellow Stone just pops like crazy.  It’s sort of a butterscotch color.  I could live with either the Milano or a yellow Stone.

However.....what surprised me the most is how beautiful the blue V7II Special is.  THAT is what a motorcycle should look like.  Holy hell is it sharp.  There was also a red V7II Scrambler.  It’s basically a Special with an Arrow high exhaust.  It sounded better than a 40hp bike has any right to.  The only reason there isn’t a new bike in my garage right now is that I couldn’t decide between the two.  Both are new leftovers at an acceptable price.  I think one of them might come home with me tomorrow. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 06:10:15 PM by JohninVT »

Offline T4halo

• Hatchling
Re: Nearly bought a V7 today....
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 05:42:47 PM »
Make sure you let us know about the ride home tomorrow. I like the looks of the V7 too, I’m holding my breath for next years V85 Lemans.

T4
7th & 10th SF retired

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 05:54:01 PM »
Come to the dark side.... We have cookies...
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

twowings

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 05:56:46 PM »
The blue Special is the most gorgeous bike I've ever seen...I could look at it all day... :thumb:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 05:56:46 PM »

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 06:01:13 PM »
Same reason I bought a special last year, 15,000 trouble free miles later, I love it.

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 06:28:06 PM »
Come to the dark side.... We have cookies...

:grin: :grin: :grin:

The smallblock range to me has always been under rated, probably because of things like the Lario debacle.  However, we Darth Vaders have come to rather appreciate their charm.   
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 07:10:01 PM »
Count me in as an elder on a V7 Nevada low seat in favor of the small block motor! Awesomely awesome awesomeness..

But I wouldn’t be doing things I could with linked braking...it’s one tinnie small tire that’s doing a lot of work

I did keep this photo of a blue one just cuz it looks soooo sweeet

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 07:13:56 PM »
I dig the yellow myself and put some gravel road tires on it. You can also pick up used V7 III chrome OEM exhausts on eBay as folks swap them for nosier parts. I almost went with a high-pipe V7 II but it was 1) more money and 2) the improved performance of the III was noticeable.

Will get a high pipe for mine when I can find one for under $1K - $1800 for a new one is kinda ridiculous. When I do it will look like this:

Mine now:

The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 07:36:09 PM »
John,

If you want and plan gravel and off road, get the Scrambler  setup. I bought a Stornello last year and love it. Added it for all the reasons you state. I already had a Griso and Norge.

The sound and feel of the Stornello pipe is great. Only drawback is the high pipe makes matching saddle bags a custom mod project.

I hear your comments on the 1400, yet, I am planning to trade the Norge for a 1400. Wanting more cruise to sport for mile munching duties. Also wanting a more open riding position, and I'm ready for a change. Have been on a Sports Tourer since my C10 Connie in 1995(ish). Plus the MGX would look perfect along side the Griso....

Good luck on the choice, is a tough one.... Beauty and near perfection of the blue special or high pipe scrambler for mixed on/off road fun... Cant go wrong either way. Every time I ride my V7 I am in pure joy.....

Steve

The V7 line has never been my favorite.  They don’t have enough poke to be my sole motorcycle so I’ve always sort of dismissed them.  Not because they aren’t good looking....I’ve always thought they look like a proper motorcycle.  I’ve been thinking about getting a second bike for a while so suddenly they’re on my radar.  My 1400 is a flawed machine.  Mainly because it’s 700lbs.  I don’t jump on it to ride two miles for the newspaper or a coffee.  It’s a bit like trying to commute with a dump truck.  I want something light that I can roll up a ramp into the back of my truck alone.  I’d like to ride on gravel again.  I want a standard. 

I went to a dealer this morning who had 7 or 8 V7’s and I was shocked....I don’t like the V7III in person.  In photos, they look great but in person I thought the valve covers were out of proportion and I really, really dislike painted exhausts.  I also don’t like the side covers.  Of all the variants I only liked two; the Milano and the yellow Stone.  I wouldn’t think the color gray would be especially attractive but it sure is in the flesh and the yellow Stone just pops like crazy.  It’s sort of a butterscotch color.  I could live with either the Milano or a yellow Stone.

However.....what surprised me the most is how beautiful the blue V7II Special is.  THAT is what a motorcycle should look like.  Holy hell is it sharp.  There was also a red V7II Scrambler.  It’s basically a Special with an Arrow high exhaust.  It sounded better than a 40hp bike has any right to.  The only reason there isn’t a new bike in my garage right now is that I couldn’t decide between the two.  Both are new leftovers at an acceptable price.  I think one of them might come home with me tomorrow.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 07:48:07 PM »
There are V7III specials in blue and black with chrome exhaust and wheels.

https://www.motoguzzi.com/us_EN/moto/standard/V7-III/V7-III-Special/
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 08:39:00 PM »
I have a few bikes in the garage.touring to off road. Since I bought my Stornello last year it's the one that I tend to ride most. Puts a big smile on my face every time !! I think I saw on cadre cycles web site they had scrambler pipe listed for $850.00. Not certain but you might want to check it out.
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 08:41:44 PM »

I did keep this photo of a blue one just cuz it looks soooo sweeet

I'm particularly fond of that photo-chop.

Before Jenn bought the Dark I had a line on one I was seriously thinking of finishing the paint job. I really, really LOVE that blue and I think it looks great in those proportions.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 03:31:05 AM »
I wouldn't say no to a blue V7lll Special; nice looking machines.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 08:42:38 PM by Muzz »
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline gerryp

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 03:51:04 AM »

Regardless if you get the V7 or not, if you can, stop by and say hi.  While not a guzzi rally (all are welcome) we do manage to get a few to show up.  a couple of years ago we had 7, last year 5.

http://www.armchaircommando.org/bennington/BenningtonTriumphBash/Home.html

Gerry

p.s. red for me....

free image hosting

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 03:52:33 AM by gerryp »
2015 Guzzi V7 Stone - Gloss Red

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 06:21:23 AM »
whos windshield is that. looks great. does it work and fit ok?
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Tennmoto

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 06:46:46 AM »
I’m real close to trading in for a V7lll Special, have my Breva Sport 1200 for sale.
That V7 thread on Advrider is the most active thread. :evil:

Offline gerryp

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 07:04:03 AM »

It's an MRA speed screen that got from Twisted Throttle.  Yes, for me it works great.  It has some adjust ability up/down and angle.

I usually slab at around 70mph and I have no trouble with buffeting based on the height/angle I have it set at.

Gerry

Offline gerryp

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2019, 07:05:44 AM »

Just wondering where in Vt are you and what dealer is in your area?

Gerry

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 11:18:58 AM »
I concur - the blue Specials, either V7II or III - are beautiful and alluring.
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

twowings

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2019, 12:11:38 PM »
To wit:

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2019, 02:15:51 PM »
Knuckle down, buckle down, do it, do it, do it.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2019, 02:34:32 PM »
I concur - the blue Specials, either V7II or III - are beautiful and alluring.
But the red ones are faster :grin:

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2019, 03:45:08 PM »

I've got one, bought it for my Stornello, but didn't like it. Put a Dart classic. Less wind protection, but I like the look better. It is the same as the one in the pic but has the adjustable spoiler. Had on for 2 days, if you're interested shoot me a PM.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 12:41:13 PM »
I'm still undecided on a V7.  I had initially thought of buying one in addition to my Touring but that's not in the cards.  It's one or the other.  The appeal of the V7 is that it weighs 300lbs less than my California and the geometry(and tire sizes) makes it about a thousand times better on smooth gravel roads.  The hitch is that I love the 1400 engine more than any Guzzi I've ever owned.  I don't know that I can live with 40hp.  Do I keep a bike that has an amazing engine despite not liking the ergonomics and its' inability to explore dirt roads?  Do I trade it for a bike I think is beautiful but woefully underpowered?  I'm torn.  There will not be two Guzzi's in my garage.  It's like the Highlander...there can be only one.   

Lcarlson

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 01:38:46 PM »
I'm still undecided on a V7.  I had initially thought of buying one in addition to my Touring but that's not in the cards.  It's one or the other.  The appeal of the V7 is that it weighs 300lbs less than my California and the geometry(and tire sizes) makes it about a thousand times better on smooth gravel roads.  The hitch is that I love the 1400 engine more than any Guzzi I've ever owned.  I don't know that I can live with 40hp.  Do I keep a bike that has an amazing engine despite not liking the ergonomics and its' inability to explore dirt roads?  Do I trade it for a bike I think is beautiful but woefully underpowered?  I'm torn.  There will not be two Guzzi's in my garage.  It's like the Highlander...there can be only one.   

The V85 should be here very soon — seems like that might strike the right balance. And if it doesn’t have to be a Guzzi (heresy!), I can recommend this:

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 01:42:56 PM »
The V85 should be here very soon — seems like that might strike the right balance. And if it doesn’t have to be a Guzzi (heresy!), I can recommend this:

I've seriously considered buying a used TW200 or XT250 and keeping the Cali.  The trouble there is I often do 3-400 miles on a Summer Saturday or Sunday and that's just not fun on a little dual sport.   

Offline benebob

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 02:32:54 PM »
Happy with my V7ii Special with blue tint but I agree with you John that it isn't quite an every day bike.  Great for around town and shorter trips but the lack of weather protection and storage do limit it a bit.  Sure you can add bags but I tend to think that will clutter the simplicity and slow ya down above 70 where the bike drops off quite a bit to begin with.  If you are tall and wanted to do any stand up off roading the frame isn't good for that either so to me the dirt oriented versions are more for the lookthen practicality.
16 V7 ABS "the wapper"

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 04:55:26 PM »
I do 300 miles a day on my V7 all summer.  I had a Street Triple for three years (now sold) and did the same rides on that bike.  I don't miss the Triumph at all.  The V7 is not as fast but it's way more fun-for me.
If you gotta be first the V7 isn't it.  But I take trips every year up by you and I've never been not entertained by the 7 there.  Yes, sometimes the others are at the gas stop 1 minute before me.  Stuff happens.  At the end of the day with a few good IPA's we agree we all had a blast.  I don't think for a second this helps you.  If you think it will be too slow it most likely will be and might you regret it?
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 05:26:02 PM »

I recommend three Guzzi's in your garage not two. The one you already have, a middle weight 1100 of either a Tonti framed or spine framed bike and then a small block for the gravel roads.
Both can be had used for probably no more than a single new one.
I love my small block and I may put some dual purpose tires on it next tire change time.

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 05:30:53 PM »
Find a leftover Stornello and have at it.  How much HP do you need exploring gravel roads up there?   MORE than enough power.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here