Author Topic: NGC solar panel question  (Read 659 times)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
NGC solar panel question
« on: October 24, 2021, 03:19:33 PM »
I have a small cheap (HF) solar panel for a yard light , it puts out about 6 volts. And another one putting out 9volts.
 Also have a 12v powered camera in the woods, I use an old motorcycle battery.
If I wire up the solar panel to the battery would it work as a trickle charger?
As it is now I have to rotate a second battery in when it's time to recharge.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 03:27:54 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: NGC solar panel question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 08:24:00 PM »
Solar panels generally speaking generate CURRENT, voltage is sort of an aside.
Most medium panels are designed to produce more than enough voltage to charge a 12 volt battery. As in, 18 volts or so. The current they produce near that 18 volts is about the same as the current they produce when shorted out, and it is directly related to the amount of light.

Not sure where I am going with that info. 🤣

I designed two of what are called PWM regulators, as in pulse width modulated. One is with a 60 watt panel in the yard beside my RV. It keeps the three batteries in the RV topped off when I am not using the RV. I don't use them when camping, because that wattage is pointless in the real world. As in, a few seconds of running the generator produces more power then that panel would with hours of sunlight. I also have another home grown PWM regulator on a 30 watt panel on the back porch. It charges a motorcycle battery that used to be used back when I towed a camper behind the motorcycle. Now that battery charges a laptop when I am on the back porch.
I also have a 5 watt panel on my shed, and a shunt regulator. That is used to keep the lawn mower battery topped off in the winter.

One goofy thing I did, that worked, but it was horribly low wattage. I got a boost regulator, and connected it to a low voltage panel. As in, this $4 boost regulator, tied to a 6 volt panel, to boost it to 13.6 volts. To keep a battery topped off. Very inefficient, and there are issues, but for $4 it took the output of the cheap panel, and topped off the battery a bit. Not great, but it worked. Maybe that would be useful. I probably have a couple of those boost regulators left if you want to try that.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 09:24:12 PM »
Wayne, would this work? Or sure I'll try one of yours if it's easy to locate. Send me PM with postage plus the 4 bucks or whatever you want for it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265375053575?epid=2301356507&hash=item3dc995f707:g:bYwAAOSwdQda4-Zi
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 04:05:41 AM »
i have a 12 volt panel wired to a car that hardly gets any use,
pretty brilliant solution , basically a trickle charger.
it only charges a couple of milliamps, but enough to keep the battery charged

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 04:05:41 AM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 08:23:57 AM »
Wayne, would this work? Or sure I'll try one of yours if it's easy to locate. Send me PM with postage plus the 4 bucks or whatever you want for it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265375053575?epid=2301356507&hash=item3dc995f707:g:bYwAAOSwdQda4-Zi

Yes, those controllers work. I installed one in my daughters camper. She has a 100 watt panel and it keeps the battery charged, plus has a bit left over for other minor things. She may run some LED lights and some TV.

BUT, you need a solar panel that is greater than the 12 volt battery you are charging. As in, you need about an 18 volt panel, to charge a 12 volt battery. You mentioned something about a 6 volt, and 9 volt, panel.
Also, those odd Chinesium charge controllers work on 12 volt or 24 volt systems. So they need to be connected to the 12 volt battery at all times, so they know it is a 12 volt system. If you ever disconnect the battery, you risk confusing the controller, and it will try to charge the battery as a 24 volt system when connected the next time. Sort of makes sense, but some people have cooked batteries or controllers because of it.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 09:18:30 AM »

Hey Foto,
      I've used an ICP maintainer on my motorhome for the past 17 years when it's in storage and highly reccomend them. Leave it on the dash and plug it in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334142658972?hash=item4dcc74599c:g:wC4AAOSwttZhOlXw

My $.02
     Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 09:30:26 AM »
One possibility might be to get one of those $5 Harbor Freight trickle chargers, cut off the 110 plug 12v converter and wire the rest of the charger directly to the 12v solar panel.   It might work and you're not out much.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here