Author Topic: It was a tough decision  (Read 1795 times)

Offline ToddK

• New Egg
It was a tough decision
« on: February 11, 2022, 06:47:47 PM »
I have been looking hard at a next bike that would, sadly, replace the Milano. I simply want to ride a more nimble bike at times, and so I eventually landed on a middleweight naked along the lines of the Duke 890 R, Street Triple, or perhaps the new Tuono 660. I also, it mustn't go without saying, love the Milano, and have thought hard about at least trying out a new set of tires before sending the beautiful girl on her way.
Alas, the more I have looked at the new Aprilia 660s, the more drawn to them I have become. Now, to seal the deal, they announce the new Tuono 660 Factory for 2022! So, deposit has been made, will take delivery in May, if the creek don't rise, etc.

Oh...and I bought new RAIIIs for the Milano... No WAY can I sell. In fact, next step is deciding on a new touring windscreen for some longer distance stuff, and maybe a throttle lock of some sort.

Cheers gang!
 :bike-037:

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: It was a tough decision
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 07:40:39 PM »
Simple and effective

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline ToddK

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 08:45:15 AM »
Might be just the ticket!

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 08:49:00 AM »
Might be just the ticket!

Throttle locks and cramp busters have led to wrecks.  Just be aware.

Are you still running the OEM suspension on the Milano?  Upgrading the suspension made the OEM tires perform so much better.  Properly tuned suspension keeps the tires in contact with the road. 

I may try more performance tires next time. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 08:49:00 AM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 01:59:11 PM »
Agree with the clothespin throttle lock.  Simply, cheap, easy to use. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 08:06:00 AM »
The Milano is what it is.  Having previously owned 2 different V7 models and a V9 they all handle GREAT if you accept them for what they are.  You can throw 2 grand at it for suspension and otherwise but it’s never going I to be a Duke nor even close and that’s not even remotely an insult.  I personally think that if a person is riding a small block to the limits of stock suspension you are likely riding it too hard anyhow.  On the flip side, you can throw dollars at it and make it a fine touring mount since it is a wonderful all around bike. 

If set on a kind of twisty roads bike, however, best bet is to add another 2 wheeler to the garage as is planned.  As per the ones you mention, I might only ask are you keen on new?  I previously owned a 790 Duke.  I also previously owned a 675 Street Triple.  I might also add I am a KTM fanboy but while the 790 is/was a wonderful machine, it sorta paled in comparison in terms of handling and quality to the previous 950 Supermoto I owned.  If you can find a 950SM or even a 690SM, that’s your twisty road bike, although the 790 was no slouch.  Or, maybe just get a 675 Triple and upgrade the crap stock suspension.  I personally thought the parallel twin in the 790 was uh, great but kinda boring. 

« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 08:09:24 AM by Bpreynolds2 »
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 08:19:04 AM »
The Milano is what it is.  Having previously owned 2 different V7 models and a V9 they all handle GREAT if you accept them for what they are.  You can throw 2 grand at it for suspension and otherwise but it’s never going I to be a Duke nor even close and that’s not even remotely an insult.  I personally think that if a person is riding a small block to the limits of stock suspension you are likely riding it too hard anyhow.  On the flip side, you can throw dollars at it and make it a fine touring mount since it is a wonderful all around bike. 

If set on a kind of twisty roads bike, however, best bet is to add another 2 wheeler to the garage as is planned.  As per the ones you mention, I might only ask are you keen on new?  I previously owned a 790 Duke.  I also previously owned a 675 Street Triple.  I might also add I am a KTM fanboy but while the 790 is/was a wonderful machine, it sorta paired in comparison in terms of handling and quality to the previous 950 Supermoto I owned.  If you can find a 950SM or even a 690SM, that’s your twisty road bike, although the 790 was no slouch.  Or, maybe just get a 675 Triple and upgrade the crap stock suspension.  I personally thought the parallel twin in the 790 was uh, great but kinda boring.

For me, there is also a bike being too capable for how I ride.  If a bike can handle 40 over with a highly skilled, fast reflexes, and perfect eyesight rider on board, the bike is somewhat boring at 10 over.  My eyesight is far from perfect, while my reflexes and skills are diminishing, and an overly capable bike might lure me into the deep end.

Upgrading the suspension on the V7III was more about safety than increasing my speeds.  I was easily over riding the stock suspension on the roads I like to ride.

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 08:33:15 AM »
For me, there is also a bike being too capable for how I ride.  If a bike can handle 40 over with a highly skilled, fast reflexes, and perfect eyesight rider on board, the bike is somewhat boring at 10 over.  My eyesight is far from perfect, while my reflexes and skills are diminishing, and an overly capable bike might lure me into the deep end.

Upgrading the suspension on the V7III was more about safety than increasing my speeds.  I was easily over riding the stock suspension on the roads I like to ride.

I wouldn’t disagree with this.  Sounds like the OP is headed towards a 2nd bike instead and that’s probably the best bet considering he desires a twisty road kind of machine. 
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline ToddK

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 10:11:48 AM »
I appreciate the head's up on the throttle lock, and will keep that in mind if I decide to pursue that idea.

As for the suspension, yep, stock. That's likely where it will stay. I agree with the "...for what it is..." sentement. I'm not interested in spending a bunch of money on suspension, and frankly as I'm a light guy, stock is fine. I did, however, lower the tubes (raise? I can never remember...) about a half inch, which made a noticeable difference in handling.

I'm looking forward to finding out how the new tires treat me, and also am looking forward to the new addition that will be more flickable by design!

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 04:17:26 PM »
I appreciate the head's up on the throttle lock, and will keep that in mind if I decide to pursue that idea.

As for the suspension, yep, stock. That's likely where it will stay. I agree with the "...for what it is..." sentement. I'm not interested in spending a bunch of money on suspension, and frankly as I'm a light guy, stock is fine. I did, however, lower the tubes (raise? I can never remember...) about a half inch, which made a noticeable difference in handling.

I'm looking forward to finding out how the new tires treat me, and also am looking forward to the new addition that will be more flickable by design!

You vill *like* the Contis.  :smiley: I've been singing their praises for several years, now. Accept no substitutes..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline ToddK

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2022, 08:25:04 AM »
Since I'm sure everyone has been losing sleep wondering about my new bike, keeping the Milano, etc...

I have been really looking forward to getting that new Tuono 660Factory, the electronics suite, upright riding position, handling and that GORGEOUS black paint with subtle red highlights has been drool-inducing, to say the least. However, I found that the first thing I have been looking at was luggage options so that I might explore some areas outside of New England and NY. That got me to reevaluating my desires. Am I just trying to create a sport touring machine out of something clearly not meant for that purpose?

I started looking at other options, and as fate would have it, I happened to call a local-ish dealer JUST as they got informed of the one-and-only _____ they were getting this year.

Pulled my deposit on the Aprilia and put a new deposit down. Picked her up 4/1! Oh, and I was able to get my wish on the gorgeous (IMO) black paint with red trim!

anonymous image hosting

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 09:44:08 AM »
That looks like it will be fun.

I will say this,  one can dramatically improve the suspension on any modern small block for less than $1500.  For me, it made the bike far more enjoyable to ride under all conditions.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2022, 10:18:36 AM »
That bike looks fast, just sitting there.

:thumb:

Offline kja

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2022, 10:27:39 AM »
I am glad to see another N1K rider who still loves his Moto Guzzi.  My Ninja is my primary ride - but I have fond memories of riding my Norge in the 2013 Iron Butt Rally.  I let it sit for a long time - but it is back to life and will be taken on a few long-distance rides this year.

Enjoy the new bike..

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2022, 11:47:23 AM »
Agree with the clothespin throttle lock.  Simply, cheap, easy to use.

Yeah, it does a good job for cheap at giving your wrist a break for a few minutes until the grade changes ( I have one on my Wee).  How much extra could it cost the manufacturers to option a decent cruise control on their throttle by wire bikes?  I'd be more than willing to pay an extra few hundred for a "factory" type cc system.  I thought it was a great idea for MG to put cc on the V85TT and it is one of my primary reasons for giving the bike serious consideration as a replacement to my aging Strom.  I guess I'm spoiled, my Wing has cc that I use whenever I roll onto interstate slab and my osteoarthritic right wrist doesn't mind it.
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2022, 11:48:15 AM »
Sharp.  Good choice. 
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline ToddK

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2022, 03:26:13 PM »
Yes, I'm pretty damned impressed with this bike. Been on 3rides do far, and cannot believe how easy it is to ride, and quickly. I had no idea I was such an excellent rider!😁

Took my first ride of the season on the V7 today. Rode like a champ. I ordered a set of Conti RAIIIs, but was not super pleased when I got the bike and it had Pirelli Trail IIs on it. Dealer told me he was still waiting on the Contis, thought these would be a good choice for me. I must say they seem miles better than the Demons. I also got an Atlas throttle lock, but after fiddling with it a bit, not sure I'll install it. I'll have to reach over it to get at mode and starter buttons. We'll see.

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2022, 06:31:48 PM »
Yes, I'm pretty damned impressed with this bike. Been on 3rides do far, and cannot believe how easy it is to ride, and quickly. I had no idea I was such an excellent rider!😁

I get the smiley. It's like a Pitts Special. It will make you think you are a better pilot than you are.. :smiley: As long as you realize that, you're ok.  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2022, 06:57:48 PM »
I can't tell what size that Ninja is.  The exhaust makes it look like a 400. 

Just looked on Kawasaki's website.  Looks like they did away with the stacked exhaust on the Ninja 1000. 

I thought a Ninja 1000 would replace my Ninja 650 back in 2011, but then I rode the Versys 650 and was glad I did!  It fit with the rougher roads I end up riding much better than the Ninja 1000.

Enjoy and control that right wrist!
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline ToddK

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2022, 10:32:10 AM »
Well, as I am fond of saying..."If you want to make God laugh, tell Him what you're doing tomorrow!"

It's been a tough, tough decision, but I'm simply not at a point to justify two street bikes, especially as I spent a bit more than I had intended to when I opted for the 1000SX.

I am certain, however, that I WILL be back! Whether with a V100, V85, classic big block, or whatever it might be, who knows?!

Frankly, this community has been a big part why I've been dragging my feet in parting ways with her. VERY glad to have experienced my first motorcycle rally when I attended last year's National! FANTASTIC to have chatted with many of you! Damn...can I show up on my Kawasaki to the next one?!

I'll be lurking still, no doubt!
Cheers!

Todd

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2022, 01:34:47 PM »
There were other brands at every Guzzi rally I’ve ever attended. I’m sure you’ll be welcome at any of them.
Mn Guzzi rally,

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2022, 01:45:28 PM »
Simple and effective

Has always worked great for me.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here