Author Topic: Vibration  (Read 47804 times)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: Vibration
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 01:15:45 PM »
Years ago, when I got my first Guzzi ( 01 Rosso Mandello) I also thought something was wrong due to the vibration, then an experienced Guzzisti gave me some advice..." Never run a Guzzi below 3K RPMs" best advice I ever got! well you can run a "hydro" motor at 2500-2800, but only under verylight load, while "floating along" someone also told me " take your time, and dont lug it, shift it positively and slowly, it will teach you how to ride it"  also sage advice. Guzzis are "different" , but in a good way...Thats "The Magic" in these wonderful, but slightly quirky bikes.If after riding it in the proper rev range, you still have too much vibes, do the tune up stuff/tb synch mentioned .

Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 01:17:28 PM »
Haven't ever taken it to 4,000.  Runs smoothest at 2300 on a flat surface.  Geez, it redlines at 7.
trade in for a Prius.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 01:20:26 PM »
IIRC it redlines at 8100
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 01:25:31 PM »
For sure you need the revs much higher.
The secret to understanding the TPS & throttle body balance is understanding how the linkage works, it's well hidden on the EV (I assume the 2002 is similar to my 98).
I think you would know if it's only running on one, the engine is gutless when that happens.
If it's missing on one cylinder check the spark leads, my EV had crappy carbon filled type, one was arcing.
From the coil end to the cap each lead should read ~ 5k Ohms (due to the resistor in cap)

I sent you an e-mail with some info.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 01:25:31 PM »

MotoGoosy

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 04:00:42 PM »
Yeah, got it Roy.  Thanks a bunch.  Think I'll take it over to the dealer for a carb-sync.  Outta my league.  Went out for a ride this morning to try higher revs.  Feels like a Minneapolis Moline butane tractor.  The bike's definitely got a pulse!!

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 05:54:02 PM »
don't lug the engine.  keep it at >4k on the highway.

If it still does it, sync the FI and tune up.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Vibration
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 06:12:44 PM »
Haven't ever taken it to 4,000.  Runs smoothest at 2300 on a flat surface.  Geez, it redlines at 7.
That's lugging it, should be kept above 3k generally . . .
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 06:21:38 PM »
TBs?

Houston? I think we have a problem..  ;D
Houston?? Did you pack any duct tape in the lunar module??  ;D :BEER:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

MotoGoosy

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2015, 09:31:50 AM »
Took the beast over to my favorite local bike shop for Tappet adjustment and TB synching.  If that doesn't make a world of difference, I'm going to dump it.

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2015, 09:34:22 AM »
Make sure the problem isn't the bike rather than the way you ride it.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2015, 09:35:41 AM »
Took the beast over to my favorite local bike shop for Tappet adjustment and TB synching.  If that doesn't make a world of difference, I'm going to dump it.

Get yourself a Harley if you want to lug around town.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2015, 04:37:02 PM »
My Bassa rarely sees 4th gear and 5th only when going 80 mph+.  4,000 rpms in 3rd is where it's happy.  It's not like an Hon/Yama when you can "flick it" into 5th and lug it around. 
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2015, 05:48:17 PM »

You should have it over 4000 RPM every time you ride it.   It won't pull without lugging at 2300 RPM; you'll ruin the motor running it like that.

You're on the right track getting the bike serviced.   But that won't change the basic characteristics of the motor.   If your bike needs to run at 2800 RPM to be satisfying, you'll need a different bike!

Good luck!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re:
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2015, 08:59:04 PM »
I'm in murrieta ca, just an hour north of San Diego. My Jackal is no peach. But it runs good. We can try and get together to compare if you want. My bike is good above 3500. Below 3k it shakes a bit. Are you free during the weekdays? Tuesday or weds?
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2015, 11:45:39 AM »
The hard-mounted 883 is infinitely smoother.

Bwahahahaha!  What are the odds that this is the natural order of these two bikes?  If anything, this should tell you that something is wrong with your particular EV.  I suggest you try someone else's, to see what you are missing.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 01:13:30 PM by youcanrunnaked »
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2015, 12:04:14 PM »
Get yourself a Harley if you want to lug around town.

Dean
+1
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2015, 12:17:21 PM »
You really should be riding in the 4000 to 6000 rpm range.

Sure light duty around town 3000 to 4000 but really shouldn't ride under 3500.

The Moto Guzzi engine really does have different tuning and character from a Harley engine. Shifting the Harley in the 2000 to 3000 range is quite normal. Low rpm use on the Guzzi is bad for the engine and you're missing out on its true performance potential.

Riding a short stroke Italian V twin at low rpm is a common mistake made by people transitioning from Harley Davidson.

The most vivid memory I have of some one making this transition was when I sold a new 1998 Ducati 900 Supersport to a guy coming off of a Harley Sportster 1200 S. After about a week or two of ownership he called to let me know how disappointed he was in the bike's performance, especially in 6th gear at 50 miles per hour!

When I told him that he should be riding the motorcycle at 4000 or greater and 50 miles per hour should never see 6th gear he was sort of dumbfounded. Long story short he only owned the bike a short time and went back to a motorcycle he could ride comfortably at low rpm.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2015, 12:45:35 PM »
Fwiw, Sportster motors and Cali motors aren't as different in operating range as either is from the Harley Big Twin.

You really should be running a Sportster motor above 3k too.

My Jackal pulled fine from 3k and I generally kept it in the 3-4k range, running up to 5-6k at times.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

MotoGoosy

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2015, 01:12:47 PM »
I'd definitely be up for that.  Just want to know if my bike is normal for Guzzi's.  Retired, almost always available.  Meet in Escondido?

MotoGoosy

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2015, 01:16:27 PM »
Got an 883 with 900 miles on it and I do a lot of putzing around town on it.

Kentktk

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2015, 02:34:19 PM »
  Put a young hottie on the pillion and let her evaluate the quailty of the vibraton.

Typical old dude loser comment.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2015, 02:40:03 PM »
Heck, my EV was pretty smooth at 2500, ran fine under 4K. There was no need to wind it up all the time.

If the 883 is smoother, the EV has a problem.

Hey, too bad everybody has to be so harsh these days.

MotoGoosy

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2015, 02:53:50 PM »
Yes, the hugger is muuuuch smoother.  And not rubber-mounted either.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2015, 02:54:31 PM »
Yes, the hugger is muuuuch smoother.  And not rubber-mounted either.
Seriously, something is very wrong then.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re:
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2015, 07:49:07 PM »
I'LL pm you. We can figure something out.

Pm didn't work, so I shot you an email. Let me know...
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

MotoGoosy

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2015, 09:30:31 PM »
Ahem:  Motorcycle Daily test rider says:

"After adjusting the suspension to our liking (we made a huge change in the fork settings, compared to the prior tester — ending up with 7 clicks out on the right fork, the rebound damping adjustment, and 4 clicks out on the left fork, the compression damping adjustment) the EV Touring did handle well — changing direction quickly (partly, thanks to those narrow tires), and felt stable up to about 100 mph. Although the engine seemed to vibrate more than the last air-cooled Moto Guzzi I rode (in 1999), vibration is generally not a problem for the rider. The seat keeps vibration off your butt, and the gel-mounted floorboards keep the vibration from bothering your feet. The vibration did occasionally become an annoyance at the handlebar grips when cruising in fifth gear on the freeway above 80 mph, or so.

That vibration at higher rpm levels reflects the fact that this particular Guzzi likes to be short-shifted, rather than revved. The machine makes good, pleasing torque down low, and Moto Guzzi seems to have their stock fuel injection settings fairly well sorted out (that has not always been the case). Acceleration is strong, but nothing to write home about if you are used to riding sport bikes, or even powerful sport tourers. My guess is the bike would turn mid-13s in the quarter mile. "

oldbike54

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2015, 09:44:00 PM »
 Hmm ,  can't even remember how bad the last single cylinder BSA I rode in 2000 vibrated  :D Get this thing tuned , while this motor will probably run fine at 2500 RPMs , it should rev smoothly to 7000 RPMs .

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2015, 11:34:43 PM »
Kinda makes you wonder which of the NOT air-cooled Guzzis he's ridden since 1999.

I don't put much stock in m/c rag writers.  They generally know nothing about the bikes they test, won't read the poop sheets, and couldn't tell if one was running right or not.  Their job is to wring 800 words out of the thesaurus by press time, and slant it in favor of their advertisers.  Sure, compared to a 6-cyl Honda @14krpm, any twin is going to feel buzzy.  But it's hardly a fair comparison to make.  Much the same as comparing what you're riding now to the one you were on for an hour 16 years ago (and couldn't review accurately back then).

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2015, 05:26:11 AM »
The seat keeps vibration off your butt, and the gel-mounted floorboards keep the vibration from bothering your feet. The vibration did occasionally become an annoyance at the handlebar grips when cruising in fifth gear on the freeway above 80 mph, or so.

Throttle bodies out of sync.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2015, 08:55:04 AM »
Throttle bodies out of sync.

Yep , still good advice  ;-T

Dusty

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here