Author Topic: Vibration  (Read 47942 times)

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Re:
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2015, 11:13:29 AM »
I'm in 4th on the SoCal freeways, if I got past 80, then I'll get into 5th. Shiiiiiite, I've hit an indicated 70 in 2nd gear. But I'm not the best role model.

Yeah, that's exactly how I ride mine. Around town, usually second gear up to 55, then occasionally into third. It takes some retraining to learn what the motor / trans likes.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Vibration
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2015, 11:20:54 AM »
I'd have to stay in 4th gear to keep it at 4k at 70.

yeah.  you don't shift to 5th until you're doing an indicated 80 (which is about real world 70)   :beat_horse

I am not sure why this has to be said time and time again.  YOU DON'T LUG A GUZZI.  I really don't get this.  It's a matter of feel, you ride a bike, redline it and learn where the power comes on.  It shouldn't take more than a couple of rides to do that regardless of the motorcycle.  Saying that 2300 is a sweet spot is just plain silly.  Let me repeat: YOU DON'T LUG A GUZZI.

Now if you ridden the bike like everyone here recommends - keeping at 4K+ and you still have a problem, then it needs attention whether engine or drivetrain.  There is no way in hell that a solid mount Sportster is as smooth as Guzzi.

I hope this isn't a troll. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 11:30:50 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Bill Hagan

« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2015, 11:22:12 AM »
I only have a rough clue about the geography of California, as I tend to think of anything west of the Mississippi River as occasionally interesting, but almost always irrelevant.  ;D

That said, is no one out there near enough to the OP to see if what he reports is, as we all suspect, the result of "throttle avoidance" or something else?

While there are times -- even among the most rev-happy here -- when we do loaf along in "the 3's," I think that that the only time I spend n my EV in "the 2's" is passing through on way up or down.

I do wonder if we might be missing something that the OP is trying to convey beyond the conclusion we all seem reasonably to have drawn, i.e., short shifting.

Bill

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Re: Vibration
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2015, 11:45:30 AM »
I only have a rough clue about the geography of California, as I tend to think of anything west of the Mississippi River as occasionally interesting, but almost always irrelevant.  ;D

That said, is no one out there near enough to the OP to see if what he reports is, as we all suspect, the result of "throttle avoidance" or something else?

While there are times -- even among the most rev-happy here -- when we do loaf along in "the 3's," I think that that the only time I spend n my EV in "the 2's" is passing through on way up or down.

I do wonder if we might be missing something that the OP is trying to convey beyond the conclusion we all seem reasonably to have drawn, i.e., short shifting.

Bill
We're in email contact. Hopefully this upcoming week I can try and get out early and maybe I can meet him and see what's up.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2015, 11:45:30 AM »

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2015, 11:56:31 AM »

Do you know what "FLOGGING A DEAD HORSE" means?

More like shouting into the wind....
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2015, 12:11:28 PM »
More like shouting into the wind....

Yes.   Probably 40 posts from a dozen experienced Guzzi riders have said "Don't run it at those RPMS, it's not designed for it" and the message isn't getting through.

That's OK.   All we can do is testify to what we know.   We can't make someone like it or believe it or say "Thanks, I'll try running it like that."   

It may be that MotoHarley is where true happiness is, not MotoGoosey .... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

oldbike54

« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2015, 12:15:51 PM »
 "Bored"?  ;D OK , one of two things is happening here , either the guy is pulling our legs , or there really is something wrong with the bike . Either way , Semper Guzzi will hopefully give us a first hand report in the next few days and we can put this thing to bed .

Dusty

kirby1923

« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2015, 12:24:27 PM »
OK,
I defer to the man from Oklahomie, part time statesman and sometime sub-mariner, its the sensible thing to do.

:-)

MotoGoosy

« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2015, 01:10:16 PM »
Doesn't it depend somewhat on the model?  This is an EV11.  It's not a sport bike.  The only bike I have that does 4k on the freeway is my Versys.

oldbike54

« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2015, 01:14:04 PM »
Doesn't it depend somewhat on the model?  This is an EV11.  It's not a sport bike.  The only bike I have that does 4k on the freeway is my Versys.

Nope . A question , how many folks need to tell you that this engine likes to rev a bit before it sinks in ?

Dusty

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2015, 01:25:48 PM »

No!  No! Good Lord, NO!!
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2015, 01:33:14 PM »
Nope . A question , how many folks need to tell you that this engine likes to rev a bit before it sinks in ?

Dusty

Yes, it does depend on the model.  I can give my Convert all the gas in the tank and it will still only do the revs that make it happy.  I reported in another topic that I ran out to the end of the road and back at 50mph and 2200rpm.  The bike can choose whatever engine speed it wants for a given road speed, and that's where it wanted to be.  The only way I could increase the revs is by increasing road speed. 

Who wants to tell my bike it can't do that?

oldbike54

« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2015, 01:43:29 PM »
Yes, it does depend on the model.  I can give my Convert all the gas in the tank and it will still only do the revs that make it happy.  I reported in another topic that I ran out to the end of the road and back at 50mph and 2200rpm.  The bike can choose whatever engine speed it wants for a given road speed, and that's where it wanted to be.  The only way I could increase the revs is by increasing road speed. 

Who wants to tell my bike it can't do that?

OH HELL , yeah true , and I don't always run mine at 4K , but it should still be smooth at that engine speed . Now you get to explain what a 'Vert is to the OP  ;D

Dusty

redrider

« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2015, 02:06:25 PM »

Think of percentages and redline. A big twin hd is tapped out at 5000 so cruising at 2500 is roughly 50 percent. The Guzzi redlined at 8000 cruising at 4000 is also about 50 percent. The EV has surprised many riders of other brands for it's willingness to boogie and handle decently while doing so. My Mille GT was the base model big block when new but it runs with the rest of the pack on sundays. Go ahead, give it some stick.

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2015, 02:07:37 PM »
The question is whether the Guzzi Big Block is a much lower-revving engine in the V11 California application as opposed to, say, the V11 LeMans application.  

THE ANSWER IS: NO!

Convert is an odd duck and the exception to the rule.  Citing it is only muddying the waters.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:09:28 PM by youcanrunnaked »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2015, 02:10:07 PM »
I reported in another topic that I ran out to the end of the road and back at 50mph and 2200rpm. 

But you weren't wishing it was a rubber mounted engine.
Something fishy going on.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

biking sailor

« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2015, 02:37:13 PM »
Short stroke (compared to bore) higher rev, long stroke lower rev.  Generalization, but it fits.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2015, 03:35:10 PM »
Doesn't it depend somewhat on the model?  This is an EV11.  It's not a sport bike.  The only bike I have that does 4k on the freeway is my Versys.

NEVER LUG A GUZZI!

Keep the revs over 4k on the highway.  You should've figured that out when you first rode it.  If it still vibrates after you ride the right way, then you have a problem.

I have an EV.   :beat_horse :beat_horse :beat_horse :beat_horse :beat_horse :beat_horse :beat_horse :beat_horse :beat_horse
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:37:20 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2015, 03:38:35 PM »
NEVER LUG A GUZZI!

Keep the revs over 4k on the highway.  You should've figured that out when you first rode it.  If it still vibrates after you ride the right way, then you have a problem.

I have an EV.   :beat_horse :beat_horse :beat_horse :beat_horse :beat_horse :beat_horse :beat_horse :beat_horse :beat_horse

Me thinks the OP may be winding us up a bit  :o :D

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2015, 03:41:41 PM »
Dusty- the "T- word" is being held back.  I did modify my last post to give the OP the benefit of the doubt.
John L 

oldbike54

« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2015, 03:55:23 PM »
Dusty- the "T- word" is being held back.  I did modify my last post to give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

He is probably just being a bit ornery  :D

Dusty

MotoGoosy

« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2015, 05:06:10 PM »
Bottom line is that I like the bike, but compared to my other rides, it's a tractor.  The higher the revs, the more the vibration.  Maybe the rest of you are just used to it.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2015, 05:35:38 PM »
Bottom line is that I like the bike, but compared to my other rides, it's a tractor.  The higher the revs, the more the vibration.  Maybe the rest of you are just used to it.
I'm out, you're full of it.

I LOVE MY SPORTSTER. But you claim to have a solidmount 883, but call a Tonti Cali a tractor?

No one is that dense. You're just trying to rile people.

You have a Versys, but can't figure out that a Guzzi should spin higher than a Harley Big Twin?

Granted I've only put ~100 miles on a Versus, but I didn't need an instruction manual how to ride it anymore than I did my Jackal Cali (that I figured out the first run through the gears).

I'm very skeptical...
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

MotoGoosy

« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2015, 05:44:46 PM »
Nothing to "Figure out" Kev.  Statement of fact.  The Guzzi hammers much more than the Harley.  Revs don't make much difference.

Vasco DG

« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2015, 05:46:42 PM »
Bottom line is that I like the bike, but compared to my other rides, it's a tractor.  The higher the revs, the more the vibration.  Maybe the rest of you are just used to it.

Nope. Here is either something out of whack with the bike or you're trolling.

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2015, 05:48:22 PM »
Statement of fact.  The Guzzi hammers much more than the Harley.  Revs don't make much difference.

Fact:  If this is so, there is something wrong with your bike... TB's out-of-sync; loose motor mounts; weak spark ... something.  Facts are stubborn things.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2015, 05:50:47 PM »
Nothing to "Figure out" Kev.  Statement of fact.  The Guzzi hammers much more than the Harley.  Revs don't make much difference.
Dude I've owned 5 Sportsters and ridden a ton more (friend's and press bikes).

I've seen parts fall off Sportys from vibration.

I've lost feeling in hands and feet on long rides.

Hell I put almost 40k miles on my first solidmount sporty in the 2.5 years I held onto it.

Trust me when I say that UNLESS SOMETHING IS MECHANICALLY WRONG, the Cali should be dramatically smoother.

But also trust me when I say you should be running it at about 1000 rpm higher too. Running it as low as you claim should cause bucking and shuddering from lugging the motor.

If you're sincere, hook up with Semper-Guzzi and swap bikes, and see what's up.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2015, 05:56:46 PM »
  Statement of fact.  The Guzzi hammers much more than the Harley.  Revs don't make much difference.

Wrong. The bike is broken, or you are trolling.

:beat_horse
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline vibr8r

• New Egg
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2015, 07:11:33 PM »
Harley 883, Kawasaki 540 and Mean Streak 1600.

Why did you include a Kawasaki 540 in your list of motorcycles?

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2015, 07:15:26 PM »
Wrong. The bike is broken, or you are trolling.

:beat_horse

You can lead a horse to water.... ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here