Author Topic: NGC Honda Cb 750 chopper headlight/taillight problem  (Read 414 times)

Online bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
NGC Honda Cb 750 chopper headlight/taillight problem
« on: March 14, 2024, 05:14:54 PM »
I consider myself a decent mechanic/troubleshooter. BUT!!!

I give up on my headlight/taillight voltage!  I brought my bike to a shop to try and find the problem.

1972 Cb 750 chopper.  When turn key to on position voltage at headlight is 9.6volts

Battery is 14.4 about when engine running.  13 volts about when engine turned off.

When I turn key to start position ignition voltage drops from about 12.8volts at the ignition to like 10volts if I remember correctly.

I thought it might be a bad ignition switch so I replaced it.  Same numbers.  Ground wires seem fine at least the one main ground wire.  Anyways I threw in the towel and brought it to a shop.  Anybody want to guess what the cause ends up being?  I should know in about two weeks as shop is pretty busy.  Note the taillight is also very dim.  I forgot to check voltage there but it is very dim like the headlight.  So dim headlight, dim taillight, good ground and switch seems ok and I don’t think taillight is wired through headlight switch????  Let’s see what the shop says.
Tennessee/Georgia areas Moto Guzzi Enthusiasts -Traveling lunch meetups (on Facebook)

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: NGC Honda Cb 750 chopper headlight/taillight problem
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 06:51:04 PM »
Shop just called me to tell you to buy a v85………

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 07:01:23 PM »
I consider myself a decent mechanic/troubleshooter. BUT!!!

I give up on my headlight/taillight voltage!  I brought my bike to a shop to try and find the problem.

1972 Cb 750 chopper.  When turn key to on position voltage at headlight is 9.6volts

Battery is 14.4 about when engine running.  13 volts about when engine turned off.

When I turn key to start position ignition voltage drops from about 12.8volts at the ignition to like 10volts if I remember correctly.

I thought it might be a bad ignition switch so I replaced it.  Same numbers.  Ground wires seem fine at least the one main ground wire.  Anyways I threw in the towel and brought it to a shop.  Anybody want to guess what the cause ends up being?  I should know in about two weeks as shop is pretty busy.  Note the taillight is also very dim.  I forgot to check voltage there but it is very dim like the headlight.  So dim headlight, dim taillight, good ground and switch seems ok and I don’t think taillight is wired through headlight switch????  Let’s see what the shop says.

Something is providing too much resistance and drawing down the voltage.  I would disconnect the light and measure the voltage at the connectors to see if it is somewhere in that circuit.  If not then it is in the light itself. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 07:13:02 PM »
Something is providing too much resistance and drawing down the voltage.  I would disconnect the light and measure the voltage at the connectors to see if it is somewhere in that circuit.  If not then it is in the light itself.

It’s in the circuit and not the light as voltage at light plug/wiring with light disconnected is 9.8 volts.  I just don’t know where in circuit but I’m thinking bad ignition switch!  Il see if I’m right. 
Tennessee/Georgia areas Moto Guzzi Enthusiasts -Traveling lunch meetups (on Facebook)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 07:13:02 PM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 07:34:13 PM »
It’s in the circuit and not the light as voltage at light plug/wiring with light disconnected is 9.8 volts.  I just don’t know where in circuit but I’m thinking bad ignition switch!  Il see if I’m right.

I'm thinking bad relay. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 07:40:39 PM »
I would have done a load test on the battery before anything else. Relay replacement next.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2024, 08:56:43 PM »
I'm thinking bad relay.

Bare bones wired chopper.  There are no relays in the wiring system

Online bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 08:58:13 PM »
I would have done a load test on the battery before anything else. Relay replacement next.

Load test on battery was fine.  Good battery, and it’s basic bare bones wiring with no relays installed!

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 09:15:19 PM »
Bare bones wired chopper.  There are no relays in the wiring system

I’d be interested to see a wiring diagram of the bare bones chopper. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 09:40:02 PM »
Maybe in the wiring from the battery to the switch and back.  I’ll bet there’s a lot of vibration under the tank.  Also check the ground points for the forward wiring, coil etc on the forward frame area. Also maybe in the headlight wiring harness. I keep hearing about this chopper but need some pictures.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2024, 10:16:53 PM »
In an effort to participate in the conversation, I will mention that the last time I found mysterious rear light issues on my bike, eventually I found wires inside the light housings that the insulation had melted on, and they were making tenuous contact. I addressed that issue and the problem went away. Never did figure out why they melted.

We now return you to your pertinent conversation, which is already in progress.  :popcorn:
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2024, 10:49:54 PM »
In an effort to participate in the conversation, I will mention that the last time I found mysterious rear light issues on my bike, eventually I found wires inside the light housings that the insulation had melted on, and they were making tenuous contact. I addressed that issue and the problem went away. Never did figure out why they melted.

We now return you to your pertinent conversation, which is already in progress.  :popcorn:

I’ve had this with the plastic sockets. I attributed it to me using halogen bulbs and a relay on the brake lights. My fix was to modify the reflector and epoxy in a metal socket. On the headlight I found a high temp connector as used on BMW’s. This was before LED’s came along of course. My apologies for contributing to one of those pesky thread drifts :azn:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 10:54:40 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor

Online bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2024, 11:23:38 PM »
Maybe in the wiring from the battery to the switch and back.  I’ll bet there’s a lot of vibration under the tank.  Also check the ground points for the forward wiring, coil etc on the forward frame area. Also maybe in the headlight wiring harness. I keep hearing about this chopper but need some pictures.

Here’s the basic wiring diagram and pics of the chopper;  https://www.google.com/search?q=honda+cb+750+chopper+basic+wiring+diagram&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#vhid=WADETvpkGdd-_M&vssid=mosaic

image sharing

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Paul_Tim

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2024, 05:50:17 AM »
Thin wires, corrosion in connectors/switches, poor earth return. Had a similar problem on a Yamaha TDM last year which showed itself when changing to LED bulbs and the low voltage caused them to flash  :grin:    Voltage losses all over the place, rather than chase 40 year old wiring issues I fitted a couple of relays to switch a direct battery feed to the lights, problem solved.

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2024, 06:54:34 AM »
Thin wires, corrosion in connectors/switches, poor earth return.

If you have any "Scotch Block" connectors I'd look there first.

Yer gonna have to go wire by wire and connection by connection in an
old wiring harness like that.   :sad:
I'd start with the alternator connections first, as a number of things
appear to be affected. I'd also suspect the ignition switch. Check
ALL of your ground connections. Every last one.......

Good Luck!

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2024, 06:58:57 AM »
Beautiful chopper.  Thanks for the pictures.  That’s as authentic as it gets.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2024, 08:06:37 AM »
Beautiful chopper.  Thanks for the pictures.  That’s as authentic as it gets.

Thanks,.  I’m going over everything front to back on it as it’s due.  Synching carbs, checking wiring, replacing fork seals etc etc etc

Online Grabcon

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2024, 08:31:01 AM »
Okay I am going out on a limb here it has been sometime since I worked on a CB750, but I have owned many. First since it is a chopper the same goes for the wiring, it has been chopped. Sliced and diced so a factory schematic may not be of use.

Check the main ground, it should go from the battery to one of the top rear engine mounts. Typically the grounding point between the frame and engine has either corrosion or paint that interfere with the ground. The grounding lug slips between the engine lug and frame bolster. If there is paint on either the ground will be bad. The unfortunate part of this is the motor needs to be pulled to make those areas bare metal. Keep in mind that there are three different metals at that connection. Aluminum for the motor, steel for the frame and copper for the lug. There maybe some electrolysis going on there as well.

Voltage drop when bike is turned on. This is normal, a load has been added to the circuit, headlight and taillight. These old CB's did not have a relay to turn the light off when the electric start is used. I used to install them but that memory is long gone as to the wiring.

If I recall the original headlight assembly had a ground wire in the headlight case that was connected to the bolt that held the headlight assembly to the blinker ears. I will assume that that ground is long gone so make sure the headlight has a good ground.

That is it for now. Let us know what happens.
Don't count every day. Make every day count.

Online John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2024, 09:10:24 AM »
I have made this comment several times.  After chasing electric problems around on a couple of bikes, I have found that the ignition switch was the problem.  Poor contact inside the switch would allow voltage through.  But when a load is applied, not enough amps are passing through due to very little surface area of the ignition switch contacts being dirty or corroded.

This is a chopper I bought.  The first mistake I made was destroying the original paint job.  It was filled with bondo and smoothed at all the weld joints.  And then painted.  I sand blasted all the bondo out and then repainted. 

The original springer front end was deadly. 

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2024, 10:52:56 AM »
That was a girder front end, not a springer. The girder front ends had a rougher ride if memory serves. I had a CB500 with extended tube forks, I don't think the front end did anything unless I hit a curb. Tubes looked more like they flexed.

Good luck chasing down the issue, you have good advise already.

Tom
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 10:58:46 AM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2024, 11:04:54 AM »
Thanks everyone for your ideas.  I for one in looking at the chopper schematic believe it’s a bad ignition switch but I will post on here when the cause is discovered and fixed.  Thanks again! 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here