Author Topic: V7 tweakage?  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: V7 tweakage?
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2022, 12:40:54 PM »
Here's the dyno chart on their "muffled drag" exhaust, showing 55 hp and 50 ft-lbs of torque. I believe stock dynos at about 48 hp and 43 ft-lbs. If that's right, not bad at all, esp with the 20 lbs cut from stock exhaust.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-iii-gtm-muffled-drags.21387/

:thumb:  Thanks - that's a great data point for the OP

Couple of thoughts on it.

* Definitely not for me - too loud and I'm not even sure I'm a fan of the look

* I am NOT saying I don't believe the numbers, they certainly seem realistic for a full exhaust and tune. However, I would enjoy seeing it from a source other than who is selling it if you know what I mean.

* Let's assume the number are accurate. They MIGHT be enough to make the OP happier, that's on him. I will point out that his original point of reference was a Ducati Scrambler which is similar in size and power to our 696. For comparison that means the OP's V7III is still a good at least 60# heavier than a Scrambler (or our Monster) and even with this gain would still be down a good 13 hp give or take (they tend to dyno around 68 hp). Though this would have a slight torque advantage over it and might indeed have a very pleasant powerband.

Which brings me back to - great data point for the OP - thanks for posting!

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline majstevetrevor

• Hatchling
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2022, 01:10:47 PM »
:thumb:  Thanks - that's a great data point for the OP

Couple of thoughts on it.

* Definitely not for me - too loud and I'm not even sure I'm a fan of the look

* I am NOT saying I don't believe the numbers, they certainly seem realistic for a full exhaust and tune. However, I would enjoy seeing it from a source other than who is selling it if you know what I mean.

* Let's assume the number are accurate. They MIGHT be enough to make the OP happier, that's on him. I will point out that his original point of reference was a Ducati Scrambler which is similar in size and power to our 696. For comparison that means the OP's V7III is still a good at least 60# heavier than a Scrambler (or our Monster) and even with this gain would still be down a good 13 hp give or take (they tend to dyno around 68 hp). Though this would have a slight torque advantage over it and might indeed have a very pleasant powerband.

Which brings me back to - great data point for the OP - thanks for posting!
All points well taken. With regard to looks, Guzzitech also has a pretty good looking two into one exhaust, which I couldn’t find the dyno for but I would think it would be comparable to the “drag” pipes. Maybe.

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2022, 05:52:44 PM »
I have a 2021 Stone.  My previous bike was a 2018 Ducati Scrambler Street Classic.  The new E5’s are the first V7 I could live with, power-wise and they have 15hp more than the 2018 version. 

The Duc Scramblers weigh 70lbs less ready to ride than a V7 and they have 25hp more than a V7III and 10 more than a 2021 V7.  The math says you will never, ever replicate the performance on your past bike with your current bike. 

A Scrambler is a nervous, almost alive thing that rides like a mountain bike with 75hp.  Everything is instantaneous while riding one.  They’re wonderful to ride…for an hour.  The Guzzi is also wonderful to ride except it goes differently down the road and you can ride it all day and the next day too.  Trying to turn the Guzzi into something it isn’t will only leave you further disappointed.  You could easily make a few mortgage payments for Todd Eagen and get a whopping 5hp in return if you like but it’ll still have the power to weight ratio of a mid 70’s Japanese 350cc. 

My advice is to take the Guzzi for 4 or 5 all day rides.  Not an hour or an afternoon…ride it all day.  Put 250-300 miles on it in a day.  I know it sounds ridiculous but a lot of people need to ride a Guzzi for a thousand miles to “get it”.  Some folks never do and that’s ok.  We all like different stuff.  If it’s not your thing you can sell or trade it for something else. 

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2022, 06:03:12 PM »
Well stated
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2022, 06:03:12 PM »

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2022, 07:43:02 AM »
I have a 2021 Stone.  My previous bike was a 2018 Ducati Scrambler Street Classic.  The new E5’s are the first V7 I could live with, power-wise and they have 15hp more than the 2018 version. 

The Duc Scramblers weigh 70lbs less ready to ride than a V7 and they have 25hp more than a V7III and 10 more than a 2021 V7.  The math says you will never, ever replicate the performance on your past bike with your current bike. 

A Scrambler is a nervous, almost alive thing that rides like a mountain bike with 75hp.  Everything is instantaneous while riding one.  They’re wonderful to ride…for an hour.  The Guzzi is also wonderful to ride except it goes differently down the road and you can ride it all day and the next day too.  Trying to turn the Guzzi into something it isn’t will only leave you further disappointed.  You could easily make a few mortgage payments for Todd Eagen and get a whopping 5hp in return if you like but it’ll still have the power to weight ratio of a mid 70’s Japanese 350cc. 

My advice is to take the Guzzi for 4 or 5 all day rides.  Not an hour or an afternoon…ride it all day.  Put 250-300 miles on it in a day.  I know it sounds ridiculous but a lot of people need to ride a Guzzi for a thousand miles to “get it”.  Some folks never do and that’s ok.  We all like different stuff.  If it’s not your thing you can sell or trade it for something else.

You're exactly right. Sadly, many (most?) riders never do more than 50 miles at a time.

I also talked to Ace at the WNY rally, and he talked broadly about major power improvements through porting heads, new cams and tuning of the maps. He is the Missouri MGNOC rep. I think most of his work is on EV & older motors.

It took me a full year to understand how a Guzzi makes power and where to keep the motor in the rev band. Once I did, I found it extremely satisfying, even the little V7 making 40-44 HP. Coming from 30+ years of Jap IL4 motors, and last being an FJR 1300, it took a bit.

I also came to understand that HOW the bike feels and makes power is different than other bikes. Back in 2018 I did a 6000+ mile ride up to the Cabot Trail on my Norge with one of my longest riding buddies. He was on his FJR. While I could not pass him, the Norge held with the brutish FJR with ease, though it felt MUCH slower. We switched off several times and his comment was 'This feels so much slower, but I could keep up with you with no problem. If I was just riding this by myself I would never be satisfied but chasing you on my FJR and looking at the speedo, I am shocked at how effortlessly this feels"  I felt the same. The raw power of the FJR FELT more powerful than the performance indicated. The Norge was inverse of that. It FELT less powerful, but was easily able to keep pace with the FJR.

MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline MTHaas

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2022, 02:10:43 PM »
 They do love to spin. I like to take my 67 V700 to the NC mountains and trundle about 2-3rd gear through the twisties. Just have to be cautious with the big drums. Fun to "check out" on guys with their younger Brit bikes. The bike pictured here used to be a Nevada. Motor is very happy to spin 6-7k and handles much like a SV650s I rode some time ago. Tops out out pretty early at 85mph. I wish my new V85TT was as strong.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2022, 03:57:38 PM »
Tops out out pretty early at 85mph. I wish my new V85TT was as strong.
I must have a different V85.

Offline MTHaas

• New Egg
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2022, 07:12:59 PM »
The V7 Nevada may have different gearing, and with 18" wheels tops @85. The V85TT most so far has been a busy 99mph. But engine light has takin to flashing @ 6k. Hitting the dealer on the way to VA rally Friday.

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2022, 11:28:39 PM »
I think some of you guys are right.  You can’t get the appeal of a Guzzi in a 30 mile run.  But if you ride days and days, and thousands of miles, the appeal becomes apparent.   

Kinda strange really. 
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2022, 03:01:51 AM »
I think some of you guys are right.  You can’t get the appeal of a Guzzi in a 30 mile run.  But if you ride days and days, and thousands of miles, the appeal becomes apparent.   

Kinda strange really.
Well said SRE.
I think a contributing factor is that you can feel the Guzzi doing the work, it “tells” you what it’s feeling more than say a Hyabusa.
The Suzuki just crushes everything under it’s wheels due to the dominating nature that it possesses. It alienates itself from you because there is no “feature” to the way it goes about it’s business. When you point your Norge at a long hill, it needs some involvement from you whether it be a downchange, speed build up or whatever.
It requires that you engage, the 200 Hp mega cruiser does not.
Even the tone of the motor alters as you encounter a grade, you know that it is working under you and you feel a part of it.
The Guzzi needs you to understand, the Hyabusa doesn’t care.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 03:04:49 AM by Huzo »

Offline ray field

• New Egg
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2022, 07:42:30 PM »
Just to clear up any misconceptions: this isn't the first Guzzi I've owned, I came here about 15 years ago on a 2001 Aluminum which I loved (& rode cross-country and back) so I'm pretty familiar with the nature of the beast. & if I wanted the Scrambler I would have kept it, but while it was a nifty, nimble, speedy little thing, it was nut-fryingly hot and poorly suited for all-day rides even after a put a custom seat on it. All I'm seeking it a couple more horses (and maybe a little smoother throttling here and there) - I'm under no misapprehensions about the V7, which is a lovely motorcycle, probably the last one I'll ever own. I'm not specially interested in spending to bore it out or drop in a new cam, and I don't really like loud pipes, plus I really like the stock exhaust note - which means if I did swap out the muffler it would have to be for something with the same sound, which hardly strikes me as likely.

Come the spring I'll probably go the GuzziDiag route.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2022, 07:19:18 AM »
I have a V7lll Special that I use mainly for an around town bike with an occasional blast around the mountains. I like the sound of the exhaust,  pretty mellow with no raspiness. The suspension is adequate and the fueling is spot on so stock it shall remain except for maybe handlebar risers with a bit of set back.   :azn:  I am also pretty happy with my T120 Bonneville, the exhaust note is even better.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here