Author Topic: Sidecar Help Needed - Guzzi Related  (Read 2368 times)

Offline N.Y.zee10

• New Egg
Sidecar Help Needed - Guzzi Related
« on: March 17, 2016, 07:19:16 PM »
Picked up a package deal. Unable to ID the sidecar manufacturer. Does anyone have an idea of who made either sidecar? There is no tag anywhere on the rigs. Thank you for any help.[/URL]

[/img]

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Sidecar Help Needed - Guzzi Related
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 07:33:31 PM »
#2 vetter terraplane 

I want to say the other one is a Luna or something like that.

did you get the bike to? is it a California 2?  auto?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 08:41:35 PM »
The grey one is a Motorvation sidecar and the white one is a Spirit Eagle or California Eagle depending on when it was made. The Spirit has had an upgrade done to it's axle and wheel. I'd opt for the Motorvation, better chassis that the Spirit.
Joe Walano

Offline TodkaVonic

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 08:45:15 PM »
I was about to post something about searching google images for sidecars which look similar and then chasing links until you find something that indicates anything about who may have made either of those...but then JoeW swoops in with an actual answer. I'm a little embarrassed.
2021 BMW R18 First Edition
2006 Ducati Sport Classic Paul Smart
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 08:45:15 PM »

Offline Hahnda

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Scrambler Cycle
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 08:49:56 PM »
Based on the leading link front end I would say someone put a bit of time and money into that rig.

The black one is a Motorvation Formula 2. They usually have some sort of adjustment mechanism that can be made to tilt the sidecar for road crown or weight in the sidecar. Its a wide one though.
2003 V11 Lemans - 2000 Quota w/ Sidecar
1996 California - 1976 Convert
1975 850T -750S Project - 1975 Eldorado Police
1973 Eldorado - 3x 1971 Ambassador
1970 Ambassador - 1963 Stornello Sport
1949 GTV - 1948 Airone

www.scramblercycle. com

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 12:47:46 AM »
I'd say the white hack is a Texas sidecar car.   They make bigger versions of the California Companion sidecar like I used to have.

Moto

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 01:32:26 AM »
The grey one is a Motorvation sidecar and the white one is a Spirit Eagle or California Eagle depending on when it was made. The Spirit has had an upgrade done to it's axle and wheel. I'd opt for the Motorvation, better chassis that the Spirit.

I just looked at my own Spirit Eagle in the garage (which still has the original "Spirit Eagle" decal on it). I agree yours looks like one, but with a much heftier wheel and a much uglier fender to go with it. I'd be concerned about that modification -- is the rest of the chassis up to it?

There were later iterations of the Spirit Eagle, including the California Eagle, but I think JoeW nailed it as a modified SE.

Moto

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 06:08:04 AM »

THIS is spot on the money.
NO longer can ride

Offline N.Y.zee10

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 07:13:14 AM »
Thanks to Joe W. and others for I.D.ing the more angular sidecar as a Motorvation Formula II. The PO told me it had been mounted on a BMW. It is missing some mounting hardware. This is not a keeper and will get sold. The white repainted Cali and other sidecar setup is a new toy, and work in progress. Hahnda is right to say much work was done and there is evidence of miles being put on the rig. That leading link front end is a "Unit Forks" is an aftermarket set up. 16" front and rear wheels, 13" on the white sidecar. The white car is likely some incarnation of a Spirit Eagle car - but - some other brands are very similar. The bike does not run yet - bought it dead - a pig in a poke. First step will be the un-rats-nesting of the wires. The tip off is the twist on wire nuts everywhere. I'm a crimp & solder & heat shrink kind of guy. It's good to prevent unscheduled fireworks. No rush. Any further thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 10:37:35 AM »

The bike does not run yet - bought it dead - a pig in a poke. First step will be the un-rats-nesting of the wires. The tip off is the twist on wire nuts everywhere. I'm a crimp & solder & heat shrink kind of guy. It's good to prevent unscheduled fireworks. No rush. Any further thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Do yourself a big favor and contact Greg Bender for a brand new wiring harness. He makes them himself and you'll find many good reports on their quality. Greg will also work with you to custom tailor a harness to specific needs and modifications.

thisoldtractor.com
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/for_sale_wiring_harness.html
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/for_sale_wiring_harness_tonti_california_ii.html
LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

Offline N.Y.zee10

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 11:35:14 AM »
I agree, Greg Bender is the source for a new wiring harness. I will be contacting him for T and T-3 project(s) in the works. At this point I gotta' get this rocket to run...it is still in the pre-new-harness stage. With the 16" wheels that speedo may not give an accurate readout. One of the new electronic jobs just might be just the ticket to avoid a ticket. That may be the point for a custom harness. I have molex stuff and do 1 wire at a time. The Bender site does have the wiring diagrams needed to return to square one.

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 11:40:06 AM »
N.Y.:

Good luck and Godspeed.  Keep us informed!

Spud
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here