Author Topic: Itchy Boots - Intrepid Female Adventure Biker  (Read 33885 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Itchy Boots - Intrepid Female Adventure Biker
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2019, 07:13:49 AM »
Lots of great videos in odd places, and she has a super positive attitude everyday,

Good morning Internet, it's 7:36 am, let's see where we are going today....and the day's adventure begins.

Looking forward to her S. America adventure next...

Now...does anyone know what Dhanno means...she seems particularly pumped about changing from Basanti (her old Enfield) to Dhanno (the new one)...

Both Basanti and Dhanno come from some Indian story.  Noraly explains this in one of her early videos. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2019, 01:00:54 PM »
 Dhanno is a black horse from the Sholay stories .

Her use of Bassanti is interesting , as Dhanno is implored to Bassanti , which means "to dance" in the story . She thought this thru  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2019, 10:24:28 PM »
Does anyone know if Itchy Boot has set off from Patagonia yet
I enjoyed her season 1

I can't seem to find season 2 except for dropping her bike off at Heathrow or Preparation.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:27:07 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2019, 03:30:28 AM »
I enjoyed her season 1

I can't seem to find season 2 except for dropping her bike off at Heathrow or Preparation.

I don't think we wil know till she fires up her YouTube channel again.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2019, 03:30:28 AM »

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2019, 05:58:47 AM »
I enjoyed her season 1

Her last update said she might have to wait a few weeks before the bike gets shipped before starting. Im guessing not yet.
Paul B

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2019, 06:44:11 AM »
Her last update said she might have to wait a few weeks before the bike gets shipped before starting. Im guessing not yet.

Ok I guess she is planning to reach Alaska next summer then, I just assumed her trip was in the distant past, she never gives actual dates.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2019, 10:00:18 PM »
She has started her American adventure but I highly recommend going through Season 1 first India to Holland via some pretty dodgy countries.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2019, 11:39:02 PM »
  :wink: So, you west coast guys might get a couch surfer.... ;)

I hope she bumps into the Korean couple that we hosted in August.  Alaska to Ushuaia on two 125cc Suzuki.   Someplace in Central America now and heading south.  I told them to give my details to any other adventure riders they bump into.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2019, 03:45:32 AM »
Her American adventure hasn't got off to the best of starts. She dropped the bike on a wet  sandy road and then got a puncture with no help available but managed to change the rear tube on her own. Now she is waiting around for a week for a replacement number plate from Holland.
My wife watches her Youtube channel and always worries that she rides off the beaten track with no assistance available if the worst happens.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2019, 07:08:10 PM »
So she's deep into Argentina heading southwest into Patagonia before heading north along the west coast of South America.  I have serious concerns about her safety heading north through Central America then (especially) Mexico.  Hope she knows what she's doing.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2019, 10:49:07 PM »
It stands to reason she doesn't want to get too far North for a while, wait for the weather to warm up next year.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2019, 10:25:30 AM »
She said today in her live Q&A session that she has traveled South America extensively via her work, every country in South and Central America. Also, she never reveals the date of  her travels, keeps her locations secret until a delay of a week or more. She speaks passable Spanish. Even so, I would be scared to death if she were my daughter.

Agreed, I have a daughter also.  It's not the secretive route planning, but her being a "target of opportunity" that would worry me.  Blond hair and blue eyes in that part of the world only makes it worse.  I wish her luck, and am hooked on watching all her videos.  She's FEARLESS!
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Bud

• Gosling
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2019, 07:33:01 PM »
     I had to laugh at her first ride in Argentina. She gets caught in the rain and says she needs to find some shelter and ends up at that school. When she pulls up all she says is hello and kind of giggles. Next thing you know she is getting a guided tour of the school and turns this bad day into a very interesting video on the education of children in Argentina!
     Can you imagine someone doing the same thing at a school in the USA. She would probably be handcuffed and thoroughly interrogated with all the senseless shootings and threats here.
     After watching all of her videos to date it leaves me analyzing our way of life in this country more than I ever have before. 

oldbike54

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2019, 10:30:15 PM »
 In reality most of the world is pretty safe , moms and dads everywhere .

Dusty

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2019, 04:45:48 AM »
My daughter has travelled quite a bit in Central and South America, on her own or with a young female friend. Blonde and blue-eyed - - - -
No troubles, only a card was skimmed once.
Yes, I was constantly paternally worried, and those are macho cultures.
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2019, 08:12:32 AM »
     I had to laugh at her first ride in Argentina. She gets caught in the rain and says she needs to find some shelter and ends up at that school. When she pulls up all she says is hello and kind of giggles. Next thing you know she is getting a guided tour of the school and turns this bad day into a very interesting video on the education of children in Argentina!
     Can you imagine someone doing the same thing at a school in the USA. She would probably be handcuffed and thoroughly interrogated with all the senseless shootings and threats here.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, I think.    Certainly there are some armored, metal-detectored big city schools where she might not get a welcome, but that's a city-versus-country thing, just like in the countries where she's traveling.   

In our little county, a Uruguayan motorcyclist who pulled up into the parking lot on a muddy, well-traveled bike from home would be up in front of a class talking about her experiences in an hour or two.

I'm sure that if she went wandering through the ugly parts of Rio or Sao Paulo, or got caught in a current Chilean riot this week, it wouldn't be a happy time, just as if she got caught in a riot in Portland, Oregon.   

But just traveling the countryside, interacting with families and moms and dads and regular people?   I'm sure she'll be fine.

After watching all of her videos to date it leaves me analyzing our way of life in this country more than I ever have before.

Yep, people speculate about that all the time.   But when it comes down to it, dozens of people actually leave to go somewhere else, while millions are clamoring to get in here.   I'd like to know how the analysis comes out ....  :bow:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2019, 08:44:09 AM »
Having a bad day?

If anyone is interested, here are a couple of other examples of historical rides, for a different perspective.

Tcshiffely's Ride: Its 100 years ago on horses, but probably the prototype adventure for all rides of this type.
Interestingly, he had very little trouble with people till he got to USA.

Elspeth Beard: First English Woman solo around globe. Nobody cared at the time.

And this other gal who did the whole US.

Then there was Anne France Dautheville, French Journalist

and Bessie Stringfield Motorcycle Queen. The bravest of them all.

upload pic

« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:06:08 AM by ozarquebus »
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2019, 12:18:18 PM »
Having a bad day?

If anyone is interested, here are a couple of other examples of historical rides, for a different perspective.

You've left out my two favorites ... Peggy Iris Thompson, who toured the USA, Canada, and Mexico in 1951 on a BSA Bantam 125, WITH her 70 pound Airdale dog Sailor ("Gasoline Gypsy"), and Lois Pryce, who I actually know because she used to ride a BSA650 in London, who has done multiple world tours alone on a 225 Yamaha (she's done several books and they're all good).   

Only times she was close to real trouble was in Central Africa on a ferry with a bunch of drunken soldiers, and in the wilds of Iran with a gas-station attendant strung out on meth.   (Seems to be a theme there).     Still out there touring though!

Lannis

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2019, 01:36:28 PM »
Lannis, OK here is something from Lois Price:

Here is something else along the same lines from web searching. A lot about women riders.
Just about the only mention of Peggy Iris Thompson,

but here is a 51 Bantam 125: Imagine going cross continent on this.

John

Convert Hangar Queen

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2019, 02:10:45 PM »
Her pretty face, blue eyes and blonde hair will get her lots of help, but it’s a two edged sword..

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2019, 03:51:16 PM »
While we're talking about adventure riders, I've been looking for the blog or journal or whatever from some years back where a French guy decided to ride across the jungliest, wettest, most roadless part of Africa from ocean to ocean, on a sport bike with street tires and wearing full race leathers.

There were pictures of him pushing the bike through axle-deep gumbo in his leathers, and riding through mountains ....

Haven't been able to find it, maybe someone knows?   Or maybe it ended too horribly to contemplate, and has been removed from internet history ....  :shocked:

Lannis

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2019, 07:22:31 PM »
Don't you get help when you bat your brown eyes at someone Huzo?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 07:24:18 PM by stubbie »

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2019, 08:17:12 PM »
Lannis,Do you mean Sjaak Lucassen? He is Dutch, though, otherwise sounds like him.
Here is his bike from 2001 stuck in the Congo.

What I do not understand is why such huge cases built on the bikes unless they are using old canvas tents and lawn chairs.
 With modern backpacking gear so light and compact, all needed camping gear could fit in just half one of those giant sidecases. The boxes must be full of parts and bulky fresh food. I could camp for a month with all that room.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 08:27:18 PM by ozarquebus »
John

Convert Hangar Queen

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2019, 09:38:39 PM »
Don't you get help when you bat your brown eyes at someone Huzo?
Actually mine are blue, if he wants brown I can help him out, but he’ll have to settle for one..

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2019, 04:02:45 AM »
:grin:   :bow:
Thanks..
You’re a great audience, I’ll be here all week.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2019, 08:19:22 AM »
Lannis,Do you mean Sjaak Lucassen? He is Dutch, though, otherwise sounds like him.
Here is his bike from 2001 stuck in the Congo.

What I do not understand is why such huge cases built on the bikes unless they are using old canvas tents and lawn chairs.
 With modern backpacking gear so light and compact, all needed camping gear could fit in just half one of those giant sidecases. The boxes must be full of parts and bulky fresh food. I could camp for a month with all that room.

Different guy; the one I remember was basically outfitted for a track day - racing leathers, slick tires, full-on sport bike with clipons.

I have never taken a huge off-road or round-the-world adventure trip, so I'm not qualified to judge, but I DO have questions for folks that never get answered, even though they're asked purely in the spirit of inquiry and me learning something new.

Lois Pryce (here she is in an interview and she's just as delightful in person https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE1LWtypWFE) has been everywhere on a Yamaha XT225 loaded just as you see it in the pics, and when she writes about her travels, it's all about the travels and people and NEVER about breaking a subframe or crashing through a rotten bridge or upsetting a canoe with 1000 pounds of massive 120 horsepower overloaded motorcycle.   I've never heard a good answer from anyone who's done it about why you need a 1200cc motorcycle that will run 140 MPH and takes three strong men to tip back up,  on a trip where 90% of it will be at 35 MPH or under over rocks and through mud?

Maybe I'll find out someday.   In the meantime, Lois's interview explains a bit why it's not as dangerous as you might think for a woman traveling alone versus a man ....

Lannis

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2019, 11:23:58 AM »
Travel stories that focus on the motorcycle are usually pretty boring. The point of travel by motorcycle (I believe) to improve the enjoyment of the scenery and people.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2019, 03:07:29 PM »
Travel stories that focus on the motorcycle are usually pretty boring. The point of travel by motorcycle (I believe) to improve the enjoyment of the scenery and people.

That's what I figure, although as I say, I've never done it.   I'd hate to spend a lot of my travel time fixing a bike that broke under its own weight.

Unless, however, you're like Dave Barr, the dude who's a double amputee yet rode his SuperGlide around the world, a most unsuitable bike for the job, but that was part of the challenge.   Or the couple who did the Americas north to south on a 650 BSA just to be doing it.

Otherwise, it'd be a 250 Honda for me ....

Lannis

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2019, 12:16:37 PM »
Time for a U-Turn.  Noraly has made it to the end of the road at Ushuaia and now turns north toward Alaska.  Certainly brave enough.  Realistic?  Will be exciting to continue to follow her.  21 YouTubes so far.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 05:34:47 PM by pehayes »

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2019, 02:15:55 PM »
Interesting hear her thoughts on seeing the abandoned bucket dredger. She's clearly a woman of experience and achievement. Those who think she won't make it probably haven't watched her previous ride from Malaysia to the Netherlands.
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here