Author Topic: Clicking sounds from the right cylinder on my V7 (intermittent power loss)  (Read 295 times)

Offline steadz12

• New Egg
Hi Guzzistas!
    I have an issue with my 2016 V7ii that’s been bothering me for a while now. The bike has an intermittent power loss in the first gear. This happen once every few days but not every single day. Coincidentally, when this happens, I notice a clicking/ticking sound from the right hand side cylinder. The weird thing is that it fixes itself after riding for a few minutes .The part that bothers me the most is that it is intermittent and the power loss can cause stalling unless I counter it with  some clutch press and give a ton of throttle. This has been happening for the past few months and the dealer can’t figure out the issue. Initially, I thought it would have to be something to do with the valves going out of adjustment, but the dealer said he checked the valves and they look okay. Please see the video attached to this post to hear the sound of the engine when it goes into this intermittent state. Any ideas/suggestions are very appreciated!

Video: https://youtube.com/shorts/tKCZUcjEqOo?feature=share
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 03:59:26 PM by steadz12 »

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
Check your plug wire, it might be arcing to the head
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Offline steadz12

• New Egg
Thanks! I don't know much abt accessing the spark plug cable. Is there a video/photo source that can maybe help me diagnose the plug cable?

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Check your plug wire, it might be arcing to the head
Sounds that way to me also, more arching than ticking.

You could take off plastic cover & look when dark.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 05:07:36 PM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

Offline steadz12

• New Egg
I also noticed some oil on the side of the engine. (See photo attached)

Offline steadz12

• New Egg
You guys were absolutely right! I saw a lot of sparks once I took off the plastic cover. How do I fix this issue?? Do I need to take it to my mechanic or is it possible to fix it Myself? Thanks

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Those rubber caps unscrew from the wires. Then you snip end off & screw on NGK's if you can get correct ones to fit under the cover.

New ones (stock) are offered at MG cycle I Think, they just screw onto your wires. No cutting & easy. I think you could do this if it's just the cap.

Edit:   These are stock-----------

https://www.af1racing.com/2D000247-OEM-Moto-Guzzi-Aprilia-Spark-Plug-Cap---2D000247

They look just like ones for a V7III on MG Cycle site
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 07:54:18 PM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline steadz12

• New Egg
Thank you  :thumb: . I just noticed sparks around the plug cap...so I guess I don't need to change the entire cable. Just the cap should do it!? Is it easy to unscrew the cap from the cable?

Lastly, Do you think the little oil leak around the engine is a related issue? I've been riding with the arcing for over 4-5 months now. Hopefully it shouldn't have caused any damage to the engine :(

Really appreciate your help on this. Thank you guys!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 01:44:23 PM by steadz12 »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here