General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

1965 Benelli / Motobi 200 Sprite

<< < (5/24) > >>

Canuck750:

--- Quote from: Muzz on June 20, 2022, 05:03:17 AM ---I don't see a picture of the inside of the head Jim, although the valve angles say it is a hemi. piston is a flat top.  Any idea of the compression ratio?

--- End quote ---

It's a Hemi head Muzz,

250 cc Barracuda, claimed compression of 8.5:1 - 24 hp at 8500 rpm,  232 pounds and a maximum speed claimed 95 mph with the 4 speed and 80 mpg.

200 cc Sprite, claimed compression ratio 8.8:1 - 19.5 hp at 8600 rpm, 231 pounds, claimed top speed 90 mph, fuel consumption 85 mpg, 4 speed.

The retail on the 250 SS in 1971 was $769.00 from Cosmopolitan (dealers cost $577.00)

Canuck750:
I have been making slow progress on my Benelli 200 Sprite, its been a long search to find a good sued crank shaft and a bunch of the small pieces of hardware, bearings, seals and gaskets, I had to make up some spacers and shims on the lathe but I am close to having a running motor, I hope.

The cases have been rebuilt with new bearings and seals, replacement crank, new oversize piston and the head is off to get new guides and a valve grind.

Found a crack in the case from where the bike probably went down on the right hand side and the kick start shaft pressed against the retaining bush, my welder friend touched it up and it will be solid

Benelli does not call for a center case gasket but I fond the shafts bine without one so I made up a gasket and now the gears and shafts spin free

unique clutch pressure plate attachment and the basket springs actually tread into the basket, the spring pitch is M12 x 2

The stator plate and coils are a mess, will probably need to have thrm rewound

Canuck750:
I cleaned up the stator plate and fitted a NOS lighting coil

fitted the stator

The parts manuals for the  125, 200 and 250 list different rotors for each bike but I think the stators are the same, all use the same lighting and ignition coil part numbers

Al of the rotors are the same dimensions but each as a unique weight. Regardless I don't think the rotors are sitting deep enough on the crank shaft taper, not a lot of threads sticking out. The manuals have unique part numbers but the numbers stamped on the rotors donlt seem to have any correlation to the parts numbers.

If anyone knows these motors I would sure like to hear from you  :undecided:

This is the problem with buying a bike in parts, not having any history of working on them and not a lot of knowledge out there on the variations of thee three Egg motors.

This Benelli has been a deep dive down a rabbit hole and I haven't seen daylight yet.

cliffrod:
I really like what you’re doing with this project in particular, Jim.  The obscurity of the specific details of many of these bikes often seems to define them as do run or will never run.  fixing them with any manner of originality can be really tough and definitely not financially realistic.    Thanks for sticking with this project and for posting so many details.

Canuck750:

--- Quote from: cliffrod on September 01, 2022, 07:14:16 AM ---I really like what you’re doing with this project in particular, Jim.  The obscurity of the specific details of many of these bikes often seems to define them as do run or will never run.  fixing them with any manner of originality can be really tough and definitely not financially realistic.    Thanks for sticking with this project and for posting so many details.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Clint!
I think I may have solved the Rotor, I took the worst one as a test and chucked it in the lathe then with a small boring bar cut back the outer surface around where the retaining nut seats, took of about 6mm so now the nut has plenty of threads. The position of rotor to Stator appears to be ok.
I got into Rome today and plan on getting to the big Imola swap meet on the weekend of September 10, hopefully I can spot some Benelli/ Motobi things amongst the 3000+ vendors that are expected. I would like to find a NOS ignition coil for the Stator and a bunch of bits for my 61 Aermacchi Ala Verde tribute. Friends have sent me a list of obscure parts needed for restorations.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version