General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

Lario rehab project begins. What we've learned..

<< < (126/126)

Chuck in Indiana:

--- Quote from: Huzo on February 19, 2021, 06:19:19 PM ---Bump.
Is this it Chuck ?

--- End quote ---
Not yet.  :smiley: Time for another update. The Conti Scoots have worked well. Decent handling  :thumb: and wear is ok.
At the Wisconsin rally this year, I decided that the AeroLario would be my "wind up" bike, and I might as well spend a little money on it. (Not Guzzi content.)  :wink: Special ordered a set of Mistrals from Cheesehead and Gordon. After weeks, they showed up, and eagerly opening the box I found they were chrome.  :rolleyes: Profuse apologies, and an offer to knock quite a bit of money off if I could live with them.
Nope. I want black, dammit.  :grin: I really don't want to paint these, so they sent the FedX guy to my house to pick them up.
More waiting, and some black ones just showed up.
Pulled off the Milich Special Rusty Bubs.  :smiley: Back in the day, I looked for small block Bubs for a really long time. Ed, of course, deals in Junque. As in expensive junk. When they showed up on the bay, I emailed him and asked if the guts were rusted out of them. "Nope." So, I bit the bullet and bought them.

They were nasty, but they were Bubs.. so I spent a fair amount of time on them, and ran them for several years. They were rusted together, so I couldn't repack them. Pretty raucous.
Eyeballed the new Mistrals, and "Uh oh." Not even close to fitting. When I grafted in the Aero engine, the exhaust system was one of the fussiest jobs on the whole conversion. Today, I started cutting and fitting. The Mistrals interfered with the bags and the kick up of the pipes didn't work either.
You can see the hanger template out of poster board with the Bubs. It was the first effort, and darned if it didn't work. (Blind hawgs finding acorns, and all that.)  :smiley:
Made a left and right hand out of steel and powder coated them flat black.

If anyone wants the rusty Bubs, I'll sell them for exactly what they are worth.
Nothin.
You have to pay shipping, though..  :smiley:

Frenchfrog:
Whats the verdict of Bubs versus Mistral on the running and noise then Chuck ?

Chuck in Indiana:

--- Quote from: Frenchfrog on November 13, 2021, 03:29:20 AM ---Whats the verdict of Bubs versus Mistral on the running and noise then Chuck ?

--- End quote ---
"Itsa not a noise, itsa sound."  :smiley:
Can't say, yet. It was cold and spitting rain on the ride from the shop to the Guzzi Garage (tm) yesterday. Didn't have earplugs in, so tough to tell about sound. The Mistrals seem to have less "bark" which is a good thing. I'm only guessing, but they are pretty free flowing, and I imagine carburation will be similar. Check back next Spring.. :wink:

Chuck in Indiana:
Got in a ride today to fill up with Stabil and non ethanol fuel. Helmet and earplugs, so I can definitely say the Mistrals are *much* better for sound over the rusty Bubs. Not as loud and more mellow. I can here the engine "singing"  :smiley: when it's happy.

Frenchfrog:
Fabulous result then Chuck !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version