General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

My 73' CHP ElDorado

(1/3) > >>

TheBru:
I bought this bike in 1975 off the Hollywood Division CHP for $701. Right now I have the engine on my workbench. It was running great but leaking oil quite a bit. Can't have that with my Guzzi. It's been 40 years since I've pulled the engine. Back then I put a Venolia piston kit on to make it 1000cc and I think I replaced the clutch. I bought it with 40k on it, It now has 142k. So far it looks great inside. Going to order a gasket set from MG Cycle. Just thought I would introduce myself and this project because I don't remember a thing from 40 years ago!! I hope Ya'll don't mind a lot of what might be silly questions.
First question---When I did the clutch I know I didn't use an alignment tool, or any special tool to re-assemble. I want to take the clutch off to check the rear main seal. Any thoughts???
Second question--Less than a year ago I replaced a seal around the primary drive shaft on a Roadstar. Same concept. I put two screws in it(carefully of course) grabbed them with vice grips and puled it out. Popped the new one in with a little oil and a piece of PVC pipe the same size as the seal. Worked great. Anyone know a reason  this won't work on this application??? I haven't gotton the clutch off yet to see the seal so I might just be getting ahead of myself at this point...
Thanks to all in advance.....

troyhamilton:
 :gotpics: welcome to the famdamily. lotta good guys on here!

Huzo:
Welcome Bru. No such thing as a silly question..

Groover:
Welcome to WG. Lots of Eldo experts here (not me). I'm sure you'll get plenty of great replies to your questions soon.

Antietam Classic Cycle:

--- Quote from: TheBru on February 14, 2017, 12:37:43 PM ---First question---When I did the clutch I know I didn't use an alignment tool, or any special tool to re-assemble. I want to take the clutch off to check the rear main seal. Any thoughts???

Second question--Less than a year ago I replaced a seal around the primary drive shaft on a Roadstar. Same concept. I put two screws in it(carefully of course) grabbed them with vice grips and puled it out. Popped the new one in with a little oil and a piece of PVC pipe the same size as the seal. Worked great. Anyone know a reason  this won't work on this application??? I haven't gotton the clutch off yet to see the seal so I might just be getting ahead of myself at this point...
Thanks to all in advance.....

--- End quote ---

You really should use a tool to align the plates and compress the clutch springs. The clutch hub with a suitable spacer, bolt and washer will work just fine.

I would recommend replacing more than just the rear crankshaft seal - it might be the only thing not leaking. I'd also replace the rear main bearing flange gasket (making sure to seal the threads of the two lower bolts that are below oil level), the breather pipe gasket, the oil return line crush washers and JB Weld the cam plug.

On the transmission, at a minimum, you'll want to replace the input and output shaft seals, plus the clutch hub o-rings and clutch pushrod seals. I can send you a set of six "special" o-rings for the clutch pushrod for free. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version