Author Topic: Extra lights  (Read 3281 times)

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
Re: Extra lights
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2021, 08:18:09 AM »

Sorry to still border you, but would these be fine?

* 9W
(the bigger ones: 10W - 12W - 15W (MR16 & 12v) starts to be too long for my lamps (because front cover/front glass of lamps). Those (4,75cm) opposite should fit.

* beam angles: 35

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2021, 10:23:33 AM »
All of those replacement MR16 LED bulbs are intended to go into indoor fixtures that are ventilated. They may overheat in a sealed fixture like those driving lights.
Maybe. Maybe not.
You can get a set of 10 watt LED driving lights for around $30. I'm not sure it is worth the effort to play with a replacement bulb only in a fixture not made for LEDs.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2021, 10:39:15 AM »
All of those replacement MR16 LED bulbs are intended to go into indoor fixtures that are ventilated. They may overheat in a sealed fixture like those driving lights.
Maybe. Maybe not.
You can get a set of 10 watt LED driving lights for around $30. I'm not sure it is worth the effort to play with a replacement bulb only in a fixture not made for LEDs.

So are you saying there are pure MR16 (LED) driving bulbs availble, or? If so how I'll know or recognize one is ''driving light'' and another is ''indoor lights''? Needs to look pretty similar?

Are these fine? I wonder are there any seller in whole Europe ....

https://www.denniskirk.com/show-chrome/led-mr16-replacement-bulb-10-1625a.p220119.prd/220119.sku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QnBGxG4-Fw
http://www.bigbikeparts.com/templates/product.aspx?ProductGuid=10-1625A&GroupGuid=24

https://chromeglow.com/products/category/mr11-mr16
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 11:25:47 AM by Arctic Fox »

Bert Remington

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2021, 11:45:56 AM »
AF -- that's a fancy MR16. :grin: Per the description it is "Suitable for use in totally enclosed fixtures" which your housing is.  If the bulb isn't too long then it work fine although a non-dimmable bulb might be cheaper.

WRT to Wayne's point about LED bulbs overheating in your lamp fixture, I addressed that by pointing out the possibility of a shortened life in 10s of hours  for high power (more than 15W LEDs) which is acceptable for motorcycle riding.  Although I'm pretty sure they will last for many years of riding.

WRT to possible fixture damage, this won't occur because your housing is designed for halogen bulbs with a ceramic base and high temperature wiring.  LEDs never get that hot.

So just choose an MR16 that fits your housing and your budget.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2021, 11:45:56 AM »

Bert Remington

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2021, 11:53:05 AM »
AF -- we might be over-engineering this LED replacement.  I think if you find an MR16 bulb in Europe that fits (which should be easy) you will be happy with it. :grin:

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2021, 04:31:52 PM »
AF -- we might be over-engineering this LED replacement.  I think if you find an MR16 bulb in Europe that fits (which should be easy) you will be happy with it. :grin:

Well ... I might order those from USA (enought time)... the shipping charge will be easily same as price of bulbs but at least those are sold for motorcycles.

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2021, 02:05:24 PM »
I installed the Kuryakyn Silver Bullets on my lower forks in 2008. The design is nearly identical to those purchased by the OP.

Originally ran 20W halogens - switched to the generic residential MR16 LED probably 3 years ago. Very similar to this:

They work as well or better than the halogens. I use them for visibility, so beam spread isn't a concern for me. If you're trying to improve road illumination you may need to experiment.

The clear round gasket in this picture that seals the lens is probably made from a plastic-like material that won't seal well. Add a thin film of clear silicone prior to assembly.

Pro tip: after plugging the bulb into the socket, cover the connection in blue RTV. It's easy to disassemble and pick off when the bulb needs changed. Mine have lasted probably 3 years on average.
"When you hit third gear, you'll forget everything she said"

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2021, 03:26:50 PM »
A relay would be tapped into a switched circuit. That side of the relay will turn on/off the power to the aux lights. A relay uses a very small amount of power to pull a magnet that switches power through the other side of it. A low voltage side to turn it on and off, and a high voltage side that switches power to your lights.

The low voltage side will have a feed wire from a switched source and a second wire to ground. The other side will have a fused wire from the battery coming in, and a wire going out to your aux lights. That way you are not overloading any wiring by adding to a circuit.

edit: Your on/off switch would be used to turn on (trigger) the relay, which would cut through the main power feed to your lights.

John Henry
Did you mean to use “amperage” where you said “voltage” ?

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2021, 03:27:27 PM »
I installed the Kuryakyn Silver Bullets on my lower forks in 2008. The design is nearly identical to those purchased by the OP.

Originally ran 20W halogens - switched to the generic residential MR16 LED probably 3 years ago. Very similar to this:

They work as well or better than the halogens. I use them for visibility, so beam spread isn't a concern for me. If you're trying to improve road illumination you may need to experiment.

The clear round gasket in this picture that seals the lens is probably made from a plastic-like material that won't seal well. Add a thin film of clear silicone prior to assembly.

Pro tip: after plugging the bulb into the socket, cover the connection in blue RTV. It's easy to disassemble and pick off when the bulb needs changed. Mine have lasted probably 3 years on average.

Thank you.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2021, 03:36:37 PM »
I don’t know as much as you guys about this topic.
But I put these Denali units on.

Fused, relayed, high beam linked and switched via relay when required.

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2021, 04:46:04 PM »
I’ve installed Denali LED lights from Twisted Throttle in some of my bikes.  I ditch the switch and just run them hot from the switched main power.  I never seemed to need to turn them off.  The amount of light is fantastic, but more importantly, the bike tracks as a motorcycle to others, not a one-eyed car.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2021, 05:37:32 PM »
I’ve installed Denali LED lights from Twisted Throttle in some of my bikes.  I ditch the switch and just run them hot from the switched main power.  I never seemed to need to turn them off.  The amount of light is fantastic, but more importantly, the bike tracks as a motorcycle to others, not a one-eyed car.
The only reason I ran an isolator switch to the relay, is that sometimes on long straight roads on very dark nights, a vehicle can appear a long way (3 km) ahead.
If you have extremely good high beam lights with full time spots linked, the oncoming car (or truck..!), will give you a face full of quad 9” spots the likes of which you won’t forget.
You are then compelled to flick down to low beam and with rooted night vision due to the onslaught from the truck, you can see bugger all.
If you flick from spots down to high beam, you can maintain acceptable visibility for a lot longer.
The Kenworth that I drive has 4 massive blue/white spots that when illuminated, light up EVERYTHING within stopping distance of a 65 tonne 28 metre combination....
I have had a truck “light me up” once on the Norge because I did not dip in time and I don’t want it again...
It hurt...!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 05:39:28 PM by Huzo »

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2021, 11:28:30 AM »

So I ended to these. I hope I made good choice ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QnBGxG4-Fw

''LED’s operate at a lower temperature and power load than halogen with an average 25,000 hours of use. Thisminiature LED reflector bulb produces 400 Lumens from its 12 volt 7 watt 6 LED output with a bright white 4000k color output.

These non-dimmable Litespan LED’s fit all standard MR16 Bi-Pin GU5.3 bases. Their concentrated beam angle of 20° puts morelight down the road in front of you for true driving light capability.''

There were cheaper/same price option like:  9watts, beam angle of 35°, 610 Lumens, 4000k color imput ... but as these were purposed to inhouse use I skipped them.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2021, 04:19:27 PM »
Another nice thing about LEDs, you really don't need a relay because LEDs only need about 9 Volts for full brightness and the current they require is just a fraction of the equivalent Incandescent
A 50 Watt Incandescent will draw just over 4 Amps and any Voltage drop will really effect the brightness.
The equivalent 10 Watt LED will draw less than 1 Amp, that's easily handled by a small switch and you can afford to lose a Volt or two with no effect on brightness.
-
I bought a pair of these 10 Watt LED pods several years back, they look ok on the V7, the cables go straight into the headlight bucket, a pair of 2 Amp reed switches in the bottom of the bucket turn them on when required.
I also fitted an LED headlight bulb so the overall power consumption is much the same.
In the winter around freezing the V7 alternator is maxed out with heated gear, so a Voltmeter is mandatory.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-light-pods/led-light-pod-2-modular-led-off-road-work-light-10w-900-lumens/1699/
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 03:35:25 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2021, 12:59:13 PM »

Mission complished  :bow:

Now these can be called ''led lights''?

BTW: These lights have front glasses/plastic covers (with halogen bulbs). I wonder should I still use these now without them?

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2021, 10:03:55 AM »
Those are some good looking lights. Last month I installed a set of 60 watt LED's (about 3600 lumen). They have three LED's in the center for spot, and outer LED's for flood. I installed them primarily as day time running lights to better be seen by cage drivers.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2021, 12:39:08 PM »
Always a separate fuse block. Always.  Leave OEM wiring alone.  YMMV but if it goes wrong it's always at night, in the rain, 80 miles out.
Been there, done that, and easy to avoid with a separate block.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here