Author Topic: Snake Help !!!  (Read 2552 times)

Offline Stratodisaster

• New Egg
Re: Snake Help !!!
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2021, 06:08:24 PM »
I’ve heard rattlesnake taste like chicken!
Scuotere sonaglio e rotolare

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2021, 06:21:39 PM »

Have not been that hungry quite yet 😎

They actually don't seek confrontation but withdraw into the coiling pose with a trick of the tail so to speak, to make you think they are a lot closer than they are.

If I can't step around them, I move them.  Thank goodness I adopted a mature New Mexican dog who instictively knows to keep his distance since the nearest anti-venom is 73 miles away!

One of the evenomation guidelines for medical professionals is "Time is tissue".

I'll spare you the ER envenomation photos.  :wink:
Team Corse dal Delerium all'Oblivion
Moto Guzzi - 100 Anni Di Autentica Passione

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2021, 06:24:01 PM »
Eh, not so much, it isn't bad though.
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2021, 06:47:15 PM »
We've had two dogs bitten here in SC, most likely by copperheads.  One almost died. She later survived a second bite & both bites were to the face.  The other one died after the first bite.

Most recently, my wife had a opossum here for a brief stay during rehab about a year ago. Among other injuries, It had a fresh vet-confirmed two fang snake bite, likely a copperhead. Opossums are immune to pit viper venom.  The two puncture wounds each swelled to the approx size of a pencil eraser, scabbed over and fell off within 2-3 days.  No issues whatsoever.  Pretty amazing.  Opossums are not very proactive in terms of aggressive action towards other animals or prey beyond small stuff but will engage, kill and eat pit vipers. 
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2021, 06:47:15 PM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2021, 07:01:16 PM »

I've had squirrel and rabbit, chicken fried, on many occasions.  Most were gotten by me and hunting buddies or relatives with .410. .22 or a light load 12 ga.

I'm not sure why you want to use this thread for something more provocative than it really is.  This was simply a discussion about a photo I took of a snake.  I wanted some confirmation that it wasn't particularly dangerous and the snake's identity. 

I'd like to keep it around to patrol moles, voles and gophers that have burrowed in my front yard.  I wonder if some of the chemicals I've used might've chased into my backyard?   

So go ahead and mention guns since I have.  Just don't break the thread.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 07:31:25 AM by Ncdan »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2021, 07:05:06 PM »
Perhaps I need to investigate what's involved with keeping a  pet mongoose around?

In the driveway several days ago:

« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 07:07:03 PM by twowings »

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2021, 09:58:23 PM »

I'm not sure why you want to use this thread for something more provocative than it really is.  This was simply a discussion about a photo I took of a snake.  I wanted some confirmation that it wasn't particularly dangerous and the snake's identity. 

I'd like to keep it around to patrol moles, voles and gophers that have burrowed in my front yard.  I wonder if some of the chemicals I've used might've chased into my backyard?   

So go ahead and mention guns since I have.  Just don't break the thread.
Maybe you should read Luap's UPDATED RULE post
https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=112240.0
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 07:32:33 AM by Ncdan »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2021, 10:10:55 PM »
 :rolleyes:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2021, 07:20:10 AM »
****update****
As a member posted, there has been an update in #2 of the MG Forum rules and I advise all of the WG forum members revisit those regulations as they will be applied here.

Thanks
Dan
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 07:21:35 AM by Ncdan »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2021, 07:48:59 AM »
Now I'm agreeing with Kev m.   :police:   I expect frost tonight in Okla.   :wink:
John L 

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2021, 08:09:37 AM »
Now I'm agreeing with Kev m.   :police:   I expect frost tonight in Okla.   :wink:

:evil:

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2021, 08:17:25 AM »
Dang! I've agreed with him lately, too.. <scratching head>  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2021, 05:13:12 PM »
Dang! I've agreed with him lately, too.. <scratching head>  :smiley:

Luckily I still have some Ice Melt left from winter two years ago.  In the mean time, you get the geo thermal fluid fixed in your Indiana air conditioner.   :undecided:
John L 

Offline Iron Cross Junction

• Gosling
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2021, 05:45:55 PM »
Perhaps I need to investigate what's involved with keeping a  pet mongoose around?

This said hello to me a few weeks ago at the door to the Moto Grappa.

A juvie, so I've worried about siblings since.  :shocked:

Bill
Bill Hagan

Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2004 V11 Ballabio, Sold; sigh
2007 Norge [NORJ], Sold; sigh
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2021, 08:10:00 PM »
We have never had rattlesnakes in central NC, until now!
Wife just showed a picture a picture of an Eastern diamondback rattlesnake, just across the way from our house. I’ve lived here all my 68 years and this is the first. I’m lost for an explanation??

free photo sharing websites

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2021, 08:19:11 PM »
If a Rattlesnake is on your driveway.   Eazy peezy.

RUN OVER IT!     :blank:

:weiner:
John L 

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2021, 08:28:34 PM »
No, I appreciate the rodent control!
 :cool:

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2021, 08:42:04 PM »
Wife just showed a picture a picture of an Eastern diamondback rattlesnake, just across the way from our house. I’ve lived here all my 68 years and this is the first. I’m lost for an explanation??

I thought that's within their range, even though theyre not common. We're just south of the SC/NC border and they're supposedly around here.  Go a little further south and they're much more common.

But things keep changing.  I saw the first dead armadillo dead on the old I-85 in Spartanburg about a week ago...
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2021, 09:16:26 PM »
I thought that's within their range, even though theyre not common. We're just south of the SC/NC border and they're supposedly around here.  Go a little further south and they're much more common.

But things keep changing.  I saw the first dead armadillo dead on the old I-85 in Spartanburg about a week ago...
No, it’s scary kind of strange. They are common 50-75 miles north/west and 50/75 miles south/east of us but not the the Piedmont triad area. At least I’ve never saw one and I’ve spent a lot of time in the woods and fields. This is a first in my lifetime 🤔

Online nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2021, 09:55:24 PM »

I haven't seen an armadillo in NC yet, but I saw several dead ones in the Chattanooga TN area two summers ago.
1990 MilleGT

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2021, 06:24:53 AM »
No, it’s scary kind of strange. They are common 50-75 miles north/west and 50/75 miles south/east of us but not the the Piedmont triad area. At least I’ve never saw one and I’ve spent a lot of time in the woods and fields. This is a first in my lifetime 🤔

I thought everybody wanted to move to the Triad area?

Just so you won't be surprised again, Danny...    Something was mentioned about scorpions around here a couple of years ago.  "Nope, not around here.."  It was casually mentioned to a friend and he said "They sure are." He brought one to my wife for the nature center within 1-2 days.  She's got in alcohol for the collection. It was the first one he found, so isn't very big.  but he said you'll know it if stings you when you reach under that log/rock/board. 
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2021, 12:56:54 PM »
Grabbing and dressing a snake is small potatoes.  When we met, my future wife had a non-releasable rehab 42lb snapping turtle in the nature center that she managed.  His name was Roy.  His head was nearly as big as my fist.   As a result of the damage to his shell and bad floral fiberglass boat patch repair, he had air in his body cavity and developed persistent pneumonia.  so we had to reach in to his enclosure, snatch him up by his tail and stick him into a the corner of a cooler so she could give him shots in his front leg/shoulder.   It was apparently a good way for her to screen potential suitors. Then there was the meds that required we stick a plastic drinking glass over his head instead of using the cooler....   I like eating turtle.  But wife likes turtles, so I haven't cleaned & cooked any snapping turtle for years. 

We try to encourage some black snakes around here to keep the other undesirable animals away.
Cool story, Cliffrod! Thanks for sharing it,
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2021, 03:27:09 PM »
Further reading for anyone interested:

By changing the frequency of its rattling, these venomous snakes let intruders know when they’re too close.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/rattlesnakes-farther-away-than-they-sound

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2021, 07:22:50 PM »

That one looks like he means business.

Offline SteveRivet

• Gosling
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2021, 10:40:35 AM »
Northern Watersnake. Some call them Blacksnakes, often confused with copperheads.
Won't kill you. When I come across them I pick them up by the tail, toss them into a pond or tall grass, just so my dogs don't mess with them.
https://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Nerodia_sipedon/

They seem to be the nastiest non-venomous snake I run across.  Territorial, mean, and with the anticoagulant in their saliva the bites are nasty.  You're ballsier than I am if you pick them up.

I normally just leave snakes alone, cause they do a good job keeping the population down on animals I like less.   

-Steve
2014 R1200GS

Previously:  1999 Bassa, 1972 Eldorado, 1986 Lemans IV, 2008 1200 Sport, 2011 Stelvio

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2021, 11:48:03 AM »

Snakes, like all life move around geographically over time. Wildlife migration is a natural phenomenon. It can be precipitated by changes in food supply or predation, geophysical or climate changes or even something as basic as sea level changes.  Plants do it too, by succeeding generations marching along one way or another, they go where the living is good.  Just like humans, why do you think CA wound up with almost 40 million residents? :grin:
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2021, 12:00:10 PM »
, they go where the living is good.  Just like humans, why do you think CA wound up with almost 40 million residents? :grin:

And here I thought it was because all the fruit-cakes needed a place to feel at home?!?  :boozing:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2021, 12:24:44 PM »
I'd move to Cali if I could afford to and didn't have some family responsibilities.   Great weather, scenic vistas, great good, great riding roads. 

No wonder I can't afford to move there.
John L 

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2021, 12:30:52 PM »
They seem to be the nastiest non-venomous snake I run across.  Territorial, mean, and with the anticoagulant in their saliva the bites are nasty.  You're ballsier than I am if you pick them up.

I normally just leave snakes alone, cause they do a good job keeping the population down on animals I like less.   

-Steve

Yup.  Just like foraging mushrooms, someone who doesn't clearly know the differences between species shouldn't be fooling with any of them.  An actual black snake is a very docile animal and the complete opposite of an actual banded water snake.  Banded water snakes can be mistaken for a copperhead (although they don't look too much alike if you're knowledgable)  but even a copperhead isn't as proactively terrotorial as a northern banded water snake. 

During a later camping trip at the same state park, we were leaving the nighttime stories & games event after dark with our daughter. While walking out of the small amplitheater, she nearly stepped on a very large copperhead as it crossed the dirt path. It stopped and froze immediately as soon as it moved off dirt and into grass & leaves beside the path- extremely well camouflaged and essentially invisible.  Very cool.   We were glad to both not get bit and to see it.  Gorgeous snake that wasn't bothering anyone.

But for some reason, the park's event guy (not sure he was a full-fledged ranger) called everyone over as he kneels down directly over it and vigorously patted the ground on either side of the copperhead with his face barely a foot above the snake.  And he wouldn't quit.  What an idiot, both for what he was doing and the example he was providing on bothering the wildlife.  We went on the the truck before he got bit and we had obligation to assist. 

Now, If that had been a water snake, he would have been immediately wearing it....
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2021, 12:34:51 PM »
I'd move to Cali if I could afford to and didn't have some family responsibilities.   Great weather, scenic vistas, great good, great riding roads. 

No wonder I can't afford to move there.

Ok, jokes aside, you're not wrong.

But it's also got wild fires, mudslides, earthquakes, taxes as bad as NJ and property costs that are even worse.

I love the diversity of culture and cuisine there though.

And if we're being completely honest, I was pleasantly surprised at another seemingly small but potentially very significant cultural difference - food portions in restaurants.

It seems they are much more likely to offer realistic or smaller sized entrees in restaurants. It was really noticeable last time I visited (at least in Northern CA from San Fran to Tahoe). And it's probably a much healthier way to eat. You can finish a dish and not feel like you overindulged.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here