Author Topic: Help me understand if I'm being CL scammed  (Read 2826 times)

Offline sickora

• New Egg
Re: Help me understand if I'm being CL scammed
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2021, 09:41:21 AM »
As many others have said, do not accept anything except cash.

Cashiers checks can be forged. Even with correct routing and bank account info. If you cash it at your bank, thinking you are safe, when the check comes back NSF (non sufficient funds) or a bogus check, you will owe the money back to the bank.

Same with personal checks, but even worse. Someone can easily take advantage of check float (even though Prop 21 has shortened it to a few days a while ago)  to inflate their account, so the check shows as having funds available.  When the check clearing catches up, the same thing, you will owe the money to your bank.

Western union,  money-gram, etc.. all can be scammed.  Electronic payments like Venmo and PayPal are better, but since hooked up to a bank account, the same kind of fraud described with the personal check can happen.

Cash is king for a reason.

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2021, 10:23:00 AM »
So, you are willing to come 5 hours to my bank?  If so, you might as well bring the bike with you.   :bike-037

Most used bikes I have bought have been up to 5 hours away from me.  I always have the cash hidden in my vehicle until I see the bike and the title are all in order and match the person's drivers license.  These have all been $4000 and under purchases though.

I won't travel 5 hours to meet at your bank unless you are paying me to deliver it. There are local branches of most larger banks, and credit unions all seem to work well together. Over many years, several cars, trucks, and motorcycles, I have never had a problem with a real buyer working this way, never had a bad check, and never worried about getting robbed during the transaction.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2021, 12:30:02 PM »
I bought my EV from a gentleman in Nebraska.  I naively thought if we traded at his credit union that my funds could be verified with a personal check.  No way, I bought the bike anyway.  The seller was pissed about it but took a chance because myself and my teenage soon had driven 400 miles and he thought we were honest.  It worked out but now I understand the risk.

I was able to purchase my Greenie from a seller associated with the board with whom I had met.  He knew the drill and didn't have a problem with my personal check.

Then there was the cluster f@%& when I was trying to purchase another Guzzi from a patient gentleman out of the country also on the board.  I never knew how hard it was to send my own money out of country.  Sale failed.  I still feel badly about that one.  I'm thankful that he didn't get mad about it.  I couldn't blame him.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2021, 04:52:26 PM »
I trust members of MGNOC more than Wildgoose forum members. 

This is currrent scam going on right now on a scooter that I was checking out.  CL local listing on motorcycle parts instead of motorcycles.  :boozing:  My inquiry got relayed to his sister who sent these email. 🤣🤣🤣

If by chance you haven't got it.  I'm in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.  For those that are denser....I'm in the middle of the Pacific.  The scooter is in Lexington, KY.  Approx. 5000 miles east of me.  BWAHhhhhhhhhh.  😁😁😁  Hey looks like a deal to me!  NOT. 

"Hello again, so as I was telling you in my first e-mail. That's why I chose to deal with eBay because it allows me to take care of things easily. The scooter is now sitting in Lexington KY as well, at an eBay storage facility. You will have free delivery (got a shipping voucher trough them) and 5 days to test and inspect it before I receive any money. If after the 5th day you want it, they release the money to me, if not, you send it back for free and get your money back as well. If you want to hear more details on it, please send me your full name, address, with the zip code and phone number. I will have eBay to send you the invoice

-----Original Message-----
To: Velma Green <velma028@aol.com>
Sent: Thu, Sep 16, 2021 3:16 pm
Subject: RE: Scooter for sale
OK.  Thank you.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2021 8:37 AM
To: aucycles@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Scooter for sale

Hi Tom, the 2018 Honda Pcx150 is still available, are in great shape as well, the electric is working perfectly. The moped has only 3412 miles, it is in excellent condition with a clean title. The engine is a 150cc with 2 keys, a thick U bolt lock I’ve been securing it with, and a biltwell bonanza helmet in matte black, The scooter is located in Lexington Kentucky, is already at the DASS transport company. I am selling it for $800 because my husband died 3 month ago (of a heart attack) and it brings me bad memories. That's the real reason I want to sell it, besides, I hope to find a new owner as dedicated as my departed soulmate was. I want to use eBay Services for both our safety, so if you're interested in purchasing this bike just email me your full name, address including the zip code and phone number and the email address where ebay can send you the invoice. I will inform eBay that you are selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure."
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2021, 04:52:26 PM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2021, 05:55:11 PM »
I trust members of MGNOC more than Wildgoose forum members. 

This is currrent scam going on right now on a scooter that I was checking out.  CL local listing on motorcycle parts instead of motorcycles.  :boozing:  My inquiry got relayed to his sister who sent these email. 🤣🤣🤣

If by chance you haven't got it.  I'm in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.  For those that are denser....I'm in the middle of the Pacific.  The scooter is in Lexington, KY.  Approx. 5000 miles east of me.  BWAHhhhhhhhhh.  😁😁😁  Hey looks like a deal to me!  NOT. 

Interesting way to start a post. 

Anyhow, there are people who will even set up fake websites and send you a link to them.  They will look 100 percent legit to the non-tech savvy. 

I always answer this way to their location.  Oh, I'm going to be in that area in a couple days.  Please send me the address and let them know I am coming. 

Yes, the my spouse died, I'm stationed overseas, etc. etc. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Rebochi

• Hatchling
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2021, 12:33:47 PM »
  My standard response to craigslist scammers is
1.  Sounds like a great idea, I will go for it.
2. Some excuse why I won't be there. I am a Merchant Seaman and am shipping out or my cancer has returned and I have to go Seattle for treatment or I am a long haul trucker and I am headed to Fairbanks with a load.
3. My elderly relative will be handling my affairs and Does not have internet so you will need to send the forged cashiers check through the US  postal service and include a copy of our emails so they can verify that you are who you say you are.
4. Give them the name of the head of the sheriffs dept fraud unit and their mailing address or a name and address in the prosecutors office.

Sometimes it works, they mail evidence of their crime to the cops.
1200 GS
1200 Sport
1100 Griso
2003 Rosso Corsa
Ducati Multistrada
Indian FTR 1200

Amstaff

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2021, 04:16:17 PM »
Ive sold a half dozen bikes on CL and bought about the same number. Sold two motor homes also.

The only way I accept a check is we both go to the bank and stand at the teller where a cashiers check is made. I watched my motor home buyer produce $35k  cash and give it to the teller and the teller gave me the check.

I only accept phone calls. Don’t screw with email/texts. Too many bored people clicking away for entertainment.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2021, 05:19:21 PM »
  My standard response to craigslist scammers is
1.  Sounds like a great idea, I will go for it.
2. Some excuse why I won't be there. I am a Merchant Seaman and am shipping out or my cancer has returned and I have to go Seattle for treatment or I am a long haul trucker and I am headed to Fairbanks with a load.
3. My elderly relative will be handling my affairs and Does not have internet so you will need to send the forged cashiers check through the US  postal service and include a copy of our emails so they can verify that you are who you say you are.
4. Give them the name of the head of the sheriffs dept fraud unit and their mailing address or a name and address in the prosecutors office.

Sometimes it works, they mail evidence of their crime to the cops.

LOL!  There are YouTubers working hard every day scamming the scammers.  These scammers are working hard to steal and people are losing thousands of dollars every day. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2021, 02:56:47 PM »
Speaking of scams, I recently placed an ad on CL for something motorcycle related. Here is a response I received today:

“ My name is savannah brooke I have ($900.000 us dollars) in the bank in
Cote d'Ivoire
from my late husband and i want to donate it to you as a dying kidney woman
who have no child.
I want you to contact me back so that my lawyer will made arrangement
for you to recieve your total funds of 900,000 us dollars through
money order like western union or moneygram 5000 us dollars daily
untill you recieve all your 900.000 us dollars. So get back to me with
your reciever name and address,phone and id
With Regards
savannah brooke name is savannah brooke I have ($900.000 us dollars) in the bank in
Cote d'Ivoire
who have no child.
With Regards
savannah brooke name is savannah brooke I have ($900.000 us dollars) in the bank in
Cote d'Ivoire
who have no child.
With Regards
savannah brooke”
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Online xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2021, 03:29:10 PM »
I've bought several vehicles from private sales with a check.
If you are nervous, take a picture of their drivers license and plates.

It might just be the bike of his dreams in the right color and price.
In your post you did not supply a link to the ad so anyone here would have no idea what the buyer saw.

Don

Looked it up. If it is this one is about 3000 below what I see on autotrader. And the seller includes some nifty stuff.
https://joplin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/newtonia-2013-honda-f6b-deluxe/7379767619.html
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 03:35:49 PM by xackley »
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2021, 07:12:41 PM »
Yeah..that's it. Compliments on your research.
The CL inquiry that was too good to be true was in fact a scam. Basically, the original email inquiry came from one email addy....others from another (not the CL email system). When I asked what the original email addy was...crickets.
Got a low ball offer...and an inquiry that didn't follow up...gawd...guess I'll have to wade thru this crap again on the 'bay.
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan America

Amstaff

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2021, 07:30:27 PM »
I just sold a Wilbers shock on eBay for $635 and netted $548. Ouch! Ebay fees are outrageous, like 12%, and I keep forgetting that.

Craigslist is good. Just only take phone calls and have them leave a message. You weed out the frivolous that way. Anyone who wont leave a voicemail is not interested.

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2021, 04:27:30 AM »
We've found Cycletrader to be well worth the $9.95 seller's fee.

https://www.cycletrader.com/sell-motorcycles

Craigslist will cost you $5 nowadays

Good luck!

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2021, 10:34:12 AM »
Yeah..that's it. Compliments on your research.
The CL inquiry that was too good to be true was in fact a scam. Basically, the original email inquiry came from one email addy....others from another (not the CL email system). When I asked what the original email addy was...crickets.
Got a low ball offer...and an inquiry that didn't follow up...gawd...guess I'll have to wade thru this crap again on the 'bay.

Does the '13 have electronic cruise control?
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2021, 03:28:31 PM »
Does the '13 have electronic cruise control?

no
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2021, 04:30:32 PM »
no

That was a crazy decision by Honda IMO. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here