General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

Guzzi 1100 custom build

<< < (3/32) > >>

lucky phil:

--- Quote from: buzzer on February 16, 2022, 07:18:55 AM ---As its welded on the back, I made sure prepared the joint well and got some good penetration.   I decided that three good runs of weld was sufficient on the outside

--- End quote ---

I agree but it looks horrible. Sometimes even in engineering you need to go the extra yard so it looks right and "professional"

Ciao

buzzer:

--- Quote from: lucky phil on February 16, 2022, 02:50:48 PM ---I agree but it looks horrible. Sometimes even in engineering you need to go the extra yard so it looks right and "professional"

Ciao

--- End quote ---

In your obvious over inflated opinion...

Ciao

lucky phil:

--- Quote from: buzzer on February 16, 2022, 05:01:06 PM ---In your obvious over inflated opinion...

Ciao

--- End quote ---

Just calling it how I see it. I'm used to looking at quality engineering. Nothing wrong with yours it just needs a tweak.

Ciao

Rick4003:
Hi Buzzer,

Nice build, and good progress so far. It would be nice if the pictures were bigger so we can see all the details? Maybe individually instead of 4in1 style?

Also if you might feel inclined to grind off the small tabs with the thread in the top yoke, (m6 mounting holes for ?) be very careful about welding the holes up. I did and it warped like crazy. No way it would fit the forks again. Lucky for me it was a spare one I had bought. I think if I had to make a second try I would turn up some slugs that is a tight fit in the fork tube bores and then weld it up a little at the time.

buzzer:

--- Quote from: Rick4003 on February 17, 2022, 01:18:28 AM ---Hi Buzzer,

Nice build, and good progress so far. It would be nice if the pictures were bigger so we can see all the details? Maybe individually instead of 4in1 style?

Also if you might feel inclined to grind off the small tabs with the thread in the top yoke, (m6 mounting holes for ?) be very careful about welding the holes up. I did and it warped like crazy. No way it would fit the forks again. Lucky for me it was a spare one I had bought. I think if I had to make a second try I would turn up some slugs that is a tight fit in the fork tube bores and then weld it up a little at the time.

--- End quote ---

Thanks!  the reason for the smaller pictures is that i link back to my build blog...  If I use to large a file size picture on there the load time suffers.  I may try linking them to my Flickr page for full size images.

Its a good point on the top yoke...  I did cast a glance to those holes, and thought I would leave them until finishing time...  this is a dry build at the moment, when it is all running I will strip and rebuild.  its at that point I do any fettling.  before I had an AC TIG i had good success in filling such holes with aluminium bolts, cutting them off just above the surface and then peening them, and file flat.  A great source of alloy bolts are BMW engines, they seem to use them as "one use" bolts on some components.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version