Author Topic: Here is one brave young woman  (Read 1218 times)

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Here is one brave young woman
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 08:41:42 AM »
The more sponsors, followers, connections through technology a person has, the less courageous and less hardships they need to endure.  Opportunists look for that stray person who is less likely to bring attention upon them. 

Today, family members can pinpoint her location at all times.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I believe females don't face the same risks a male would when traveling.  I think most people's parental instincts kick in when it comes to being protective of females over males. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 01:35:01 PM »
Hey, I was in Mesa for Thanksgiving, a pleasant break from the cold.

There are still in the 21st century vast stretches of world where a woman traveling without a man is considered to be prey.  But she and her companion seem to be planning to mostly avoid those areas.
First you look where it should be, then you look where it might be, then you look where it won't be, then you look where it mustn't be.  And when you find it you discover "that's where it should have been."
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 06:56:29 AM »
Kawasaki Versys X 300

A more off-road ride may have been a better choice.  Good luck!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 06:56:29 AM »

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 08:15:06 AM »
It's a brave choice.  If you watched Long Way Around, you would see that even for a movie star, that trip was daunting. 
Blue Guzz

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 10:56:30 AM »
Kawasaki Versys X 300

A more off-road ride may have been a better choice.  Good luck!

Is her goal to ride as much off-road as possible?  If not, the little Versys is probably a good choice.  Weighs in a hair under 400 lbs and has a lowish seat height.  She might not be capable of handling the 300 lb dual sports with their 36 inch seat heights and lower handling characteristics on pavement. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 12:30:09 PM »
It would be interesting to compare her travel methods with Itchyboots, I think hers is probably less expensive but she is quite a bit older of course and paying by posting a Blog on UTube.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 07:03:40 PM »
Is her goal to ride as much off-road as possible?  If not, the little Versys is probably a good choice.  Weighs in a hair under 400 lbs and has a lowish seat height.  She might not be capable of handling the 300 lb dual sports with their 36 inch seat heights and lower handling characteristics on pavement.

Check out Itchyboots sometime.

https://www.itchyboots.com/

Offline Milosh

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 06:23:17 PM »
So not solo? I think the record holder should do it solo, like Matt Guthmiller when he flew around the world.

I haven't seen her post on ADVRider yet, so it must not be true.  :wink:
___________________ ___________________ __
“An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered.” – G.K. Chesterton

Offline Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 03:52:34 PM »
Bridget is not trying for a solo riding title, simply the youngest person to circumnavigate the world by motorcycle. I believe the record may currently be held by Kane Avellano or Henry Crew at age 23. Both rode with others for stretches and had their bikes worked on by others, so even if they didn't have a van following them they were assisted by strangers, friends, sponsors, fans, and mechanics. Henry shared that he had to pay many bribes along his route and had quite a few intimidating encounters with people who were not easy to tell if they were either military or legal authority figures vs armed criminal groups (sometimes they are the same).

Being protective of women isn't a universal truth. There are areas where women are not permitted to travel without a male chaperone. Even in the USA the risk of human trafficking or sexual assault are much higher for solo women travelers, especially young ones. It's a reason why they often take measures to try to protect themselves such as GPS tracking, check-ins, not truthfully answering strangers' questions of where they're headed or if they're traveling alone or armed, posting to social media with a 24+ hr delay so they're less likely to be stalked in person from that info, and it's why almost any woman who camps solo has a story to tell about a time (or many) when they packed up their camp and left because someone came over to their campsite uninvited and made them feel uncomfortable and at risk.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 03:54:12 PM by Enzo Toma »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 06:47:01 PM »
I’m relatively convinced that the hard part of riding around the world would be documentation and security.
The actual kilometres even at the equator is reduced dramatically by a little thing called the Pacific Ocean. The distance is not a problem as such I imagine.
If it’s 36,000 km around and almost half is Pacific, you’ve cut it back to 20,000 before you count the other oceans.
Clearly you have to zig zag and travel diagonally a lot of the time so that adds to it.
Again, it’s the documentation and border procedures that I find intimidating, but Nathan Millward just got up off his arse and left 4 days later on a CT110 Honda with no planning prior to that.

I wonder what doing 19,000 km in 6 weeks would be like on one of those ?

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 12:46:12 PM »
After reading a few of the comments I am reminded why I come here less and less.
Is it less and less that you come here, or less and less that you’re reminded… :popcorn:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here