Author Topic: I have been away - now with pictures  (Read 6200 times)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
I have been away - now with pictures
« on: July 03, 2018, 06:56:04 PM »
I haven't posted for a while, a friend and I decided to take a trip up to the Arctic Circle actually it was something he had been wanting to do for a long time, I was lucky to be included.
We allowed 5 days to get as far as Dawson City via 37 where we took in Stewart, Hyder AK and had our first taste of gravel up to the Salmon glacier. Next stops were Watson lake to see the signpost park and Whitehorse. On the way we heard about a sidecar outfit crash so we went back to make sure the owner wasn�t laying hurt. The Ural rig was standing on it�s nose leaning against a tree dripping gas, the engine stone cold so obviously happened the evening before. We surmised the rider must have gone to sleep as the bend was quite gentle but the skidmark took off at an angle and the bike launched over the edge, Alberta plate
 At Dawson City we took part in the Dust to Dawson Not a Rally and celebrated the summer solstice on top of the Dome at midnight, sun still well up in the sky.
I was quite nervous about the 400 kms of road to the Arctic Circle, I wasn�t sure how the Griso would behave on a rough gravel road, It didn�t help to hear about a number of riders crashing and having to get flown out.
The early stretches were fine gravel spread over a hard base that felt like riding on marbles with occasional groups of deep potholes that caused the suspension to bottom out, it was all you could do going at 80-100 kph to pick a way through trying to avoid the larger holes. Worse though was the section where instead of holes there were salient points of rock jutting through the gravel.  Once I started to relax and let the bike handle the rough stuff with minimal input I learned to breathe again
Its about 400 km from the turnoff to the circle so I was carrying extra gas, it turned out the Griso has a range of 350 km with the reserve light coming on about 275 then counting up to 75, this is really good IMHO. I was interested to see what happened so let it run right out, gave a surge or two then died completely, started immediately with added gas. We planned on stopping the night at Eagle Plains but because of the 24 hours of daylight continued on another 36 km to the Arctic Circle signpost, had a beer and took a bunch of pictures
https://ibb.co/eeba1d
From this picture you can scroll to others, then scroll down to view any comments I added
then came back to Eagle Plains for the night. The return to Dawson City the next day was pretty un-eventfull but I did get to enjoy the solitude as we didn�t stick together, just tried to connect once an hour.
The following day we travelled the Top of the World Highway from Dawson to Chicken and Tok AK, this according to the signpost was the first land link between Canada and Alaska, the highway is decent gravel to the US border then turns to nice smooth blacktop for quite a way then just as you start to relax switches to the worst kind of gravel, large lose rocks.
We finally made it home down the Alaska Hwy and over past Whistler arriving home 2 weeks and 8 hours after starting out at 8060 km.

The bike was once clean

The first time I travelled this highway it was all gravel, now it's nice seal.

Bear Glacier

Entering Alaska, there is no US border guard, at one time he was in the small concrete building, the Canadian customs lady told me they keep an eye on Hyder and alert the US authorities if they see anything suspicious.
Because it was Monday the hotel was closed so we couldn't get Hyderised

Salmon Glacier - this is back in BC North of Hyder. I did some work at the old Premier Mine just up the road many years ago. There's an unmanned border crossing just North of town
At the end of this road is the Granduc site, an abandoned underground Copper mine.

Mehan Lake next day, further up 37

A couple of pictures of the Signpost Park at Watson Lake - this was started by US servicemen working on the Alaska Highway, it's grown a lot since I was last here.

We attended the Dust to Dawson dinner, a great steak meal put on by the local firefighters and wives.
The profits went to a local charity.

Waiting to celebrate the Summer Solstice

Back at the campsite at 1:00AM, the ferry seems to run all night.

The next day the weather seemed to be picking up so we decided to make a run for the Arctic

Waiting to greet us at the Arctic Circle

My traveling companion Bob

This guy and his Daughter turned up, they were on the way back from the Ocean

The bike got a little dirty

A couple of pictures on the road back to Dawson

The following day we travelled the Top of the World Highway from Dawson to Chicken and Tok AK, this according to the signpost was the first land link between Canada and Alaska, the highway is decent gravel to the US border, turns to nice smooth blacktop for quite a way then just as you start to relax switches to the worst kind of gravel, large lose rocks.

Haines Junction

These metal deck bridges would throw the bike around in an alarming fashion, just hit it at 50k and hope for the best

While I was waiting at Liard Hot Springs this guy wandered by, completely ignored me, I was ok with that

Turns out he owns the place

Obligatory photo of mile zero

0ur 6000 km trip turned into 8,060. the rear heidenau K73 is worn out in the centre but of course it still has chicken strips
The road from Dawson to the Arctic circle is 400 km of the roughest gravel i have ridden, unexpected potholes throw you from the seat.
The rear suspension has lost all the oil from the pounding, bad seal i guess so it's like riding a pogo stick, luckily that didn't show until we were back on pavement
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 10:54:01 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
Re: I have been away
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 07:52:37 PM »
Is there NOTHING the Mighty GRiSO can't handle?!!??!! :thumb:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 08:05:35 PM »
 Do they still tell the legend of Jim Coleman and Ca$h Register at D2D , 2 crazy Okies that helped start the not a rally . Unfortunately Jim was killed on a motorbike some 20 years ago , but what a guy he was .

Dusty

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 08:19:35 PM »
Quite a trip, Roy. Well done.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 08:19:35 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 08:20:33 PM »
Good job!  I know those roads well.  I describe your route as the last technical riding in Western north America.  The reports of crashes bear that out.  Did you get the t-shirt from Chicken?

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 09:37:14 PM »
Roy! Kokanee? Really?
John D.
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5
the rest are all gone.....

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 09:38:41 PM »
Wow! Lucky you! :bow:

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 09:48:37 PM »
Wow what a trip! Well done!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 10:42:34 PM »
Do they still tell the legend of Jim Coleman and Ca$h Register at D2D , 2 crazy Okies that helped start the not a rally . Unfortunately Jim was killed on a motorbike some 20 years ago , but what a guy he was .

Dusty
Yes I seem to recall talk of their ashes buried by a tree somewhere along the road or at least Jim and some of the other early riders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 11:26:08 PM »
Way cool !!

Online Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 01:22:09 AM »
Awesome!  :thumb:

That's going to take some cleaning!  :evil:

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 03:35:27 AM »
Welcome back to civilization Roy, I enjoyed following your progress from afar.

Glad you made it in one piece.

Kev

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 06:27:54 AM »
Great to see you back Roy

Sort of trip that I can only dream of doing, congratulations on taking it on and more important arriving back safe and sound

The shots of these roads are making me shudder, doing it on a Griso  :shocked:

Hat's off Roy  :bow:

John

Moto

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 07:02:35 AM »
An epic trip, indeed. Congratulations, Roy.

I'm impressed by your skid plate and gas can brackets. And your seat.

What tires did you run?

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Now let's see some snooty 8-valve Griso match this!

Moto

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 07:06:25 AM »
Yeah, baby!
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 08:25:32 AM »
An epic trip, indeed. Congratulations, Roy.

I'm impressed by your skid plate and gas can brackets. And your seat.

What tires did you run?

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Now let's see some snooty 8-valve Griso match this!

Moto

The skid plate is actually just  piece of rubber mat. I learnt from my mining days that rubber will outlast steel
Heidenau K73s.in hindsite I should have been on K70s
I will try to tidy up the pictures, having trouble with IMG at the moment
The seat is a Corbin Gunfighter designed for an 8 Valve but it fits the 2 Valve just as well, all day comfort.

I should have mentioned there was a Quota Tug at Eagle Plains, I didn't find out where he had come from, hopefully someone knows him.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 10:56:13 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 08:31:48 AM »
Thanks, that gets to the reason I ride. I remember sitting on the couch, arm hairs tingling from the hours of stimulation, feeling unsettled and exuberant, like I should shift into third or something .  Welcome back!
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

canuck750

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 09:19:09 AM »
Atta Boy.

I probably passed you somewhere on the identical route. I sure didn't see you on the Dempster, I would have remembered seeing a Griso on that road.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 10:25:27 AM »
Atta Boy.

I probably passed you somewhere on the identical route. I sure didn't see you on the Dempster, I would have remembered seeing a Griso on that road.
We were at Eagle Plains night of June 23rd, the only Guzzi I saw was the Quota with sidecar, owner said it spent most of it's life in harness.
I ran into the quota tug again this summer at the Broken arrow campout.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 10:56:51 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

canuck750

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 12:04:11 PM »
Quota belongs to my friend Del West out of Red Deer. Del had to repair his rear drive on the side of the road, pinion nut came loose. I missed you by one day but I was in Dawson the night of the BMW love fest. Never seen so many Ewan McGregor impersonators. Most of the GS riders spend more time adjusting their gadgets and polishing their bikes than taking them off pavement. I saw more than one GS on its side in the mud.

Good on you for taking a Griso up the Dempster.

I would like to plan a Loop Frame only ride to Tuktoyuktuk in a couple years, no GPS or tablets permitted and riding apparel must include rubber boots, bib denim coveralls and a Jean jacket. Anyone with a Tourtech item will be asked to leave.

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 02:57:30 PM »
Wow!! And here I thought my little twelve day romp around France was an adventure 😀😀😀.
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2018, 06:32:59 PM »

I would like to plan a Loop Frame only ride to Tuktoyuktuk in a couple years, no GPS or tablets permitted and riding apparel must include rubber boots, bib denim coveralls and a Jean jacket. Anyone with a Tourtech item will be asked to leave.
Now that would be a rally worth going to, keep us posted.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 06:36:48 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: I have been away - now with pictures
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 07:04:33 PM »
Great thanks Roy. Nice trip report. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2018, 07:45:12 PM »
I am roughing out plans for a similar trip next year or the year after.  So a couple questions:  did the original tires last the whole trip?  If they did not, where did you get them changed?  Finally - how bad were the mosquitoes?

Offline izzug otom

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2018, 10:00:10 PM »
Looks like a great trip, it reminds me of my treks through France, Switzerland, Italy (including stopping off in Mandello, and a new clutch fitted by Mene, up on the hillside), Spain and Portugal. It also reminds me I'm due for another trip before long. I might just manage it in September this year, but most likely it'll be next year.

https://ibb.co/gwuVnJ
Loaded with gear for a 3 week camping trip for two, including a Martin travel guitar, which sounded crappy but better than nothing. The small block Nevada never missed a beat

BTW, the sidecar with the guy and his daughter heading back from the ocean looks like it's well kitted out for any eventuality. A sidecar with attitude!!.

oldbike54

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2018, 10:19:28 PM »
 Absolutely Fabulous pictures Roy  :bow:

Dusty

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2018, 10:43:07 PM »
I am roughing out plans for a similar trip next year or the year after.  So a couple questions:  did the original tires last the whole trip?  If they did not, where did you get them changed?  Finally - how bad were the mosquitoes?

The original Heidenau K73 rear barely lasted the 8,000k, my friends Super Tenere was shod with Heidenau K70, they still look good. My K73 front is good, we did not change tires but if you do Whitehorse would be the place, we have a member who lives near there.

The Mosquitos were bad for me but don't seem to bother some people, the spray I had was not very effective but I had a net to pull over the head, only used it once

You need to have a fuel range of 400 km, The Griso is only 350 but I had 2 extra gallons. (1 extra would have been enough)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:47:21 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 03:08:00 PM »
Thanks! Great story from a great trip.
I'm impressed by the mighty Griso's achievements!
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2018, 06:35:59 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Did you camp every night, or were you able to find motels?  I’ve read different things about that, but most writers say that camping gear (whether you use it or not) is a must. 

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2018, 07:06:01 PM »
Thanks! Great story from a great trip.
I'm impressed by the mighty Griso's achievements!

It ain't the name on the hammer handle, it's the guy swinging it..  :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here