Author Topic: LM3 - time for new brake lines.  (Read 4507 times)

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
LM3 - time for new brake lines.
« on: May 26, 2015, 03:36:58 PM »
After about 25 years of ownership, I feel it's about time for new lines as the one on the front left is cracked where it goes into the caliper.  Part of me wants to up date to the braided steel ones for better stopping power while the other says leave it stock with copies as I don't ride the bike that hard anyways.  Thoughts please.  
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 03:38:04 PM by Vince in Milwaukee »
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline Dimples

• Gosling
Re: LM3 - time for new brake lines.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »
Order the braided stainless Spiegler kit with black PVC exterior and silver fittings from Harpers (or other). It will look close to stock.
'96 Sport 1100 - carb
'71 Ambassador - Venolia

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 05:16:13 PM »
What he said.
The improvement in braking is worth it.
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 05:27:13 PM »
Or go to the local Circle track racing store and get universal ones that you buy by the length and get the end fittings as required. I get mine at Behlings Racing in Butler.
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, SPIII, 3-78 Robins, 75 T3, 74 Eldo, 32 Sport15, Ambo custom.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 05:27:13 PM »

Offline Dimples

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 05:44:59 PM »
For a more dramatic improvement in stopping power also order a pair of EBC sintered pads for the right caliper (or both/all). This is controversial in certain situations due to more disc wear. But since you don't put high miles on the LM III it shouldn't be an issue. With new braided lines AND sintered pads the brakes will be very much improved when you use them!

Take it a step further and rebuild the calipers and master cylinders when replacing the lines and switch to DOT 5 fluid. You'll never worry about it again.

D
'96 Sport 1100 - carb
'71 Ambassador - Venolia

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 05:45:48 PM »
Earls in Gasoline alley will make you new stainless ones at about 20 bux apiece.  (Guzzi content) Good stuff, cheap.
The usual disclaimers.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Dimples

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 06:02:33 PM »
Assuming your system is still linked, this is the look with black lines and silver fittings. If you've never specified brake lines, the LM 3 specific Spiegler kit is the easiest route to a clean installation (oh, you'll pay). All the washers are included too. Another installation advantage is that all the fittings can be swiveled to the necessary angle.

'96 Sport 1100 - carb
'71 Ambassador - Venolia

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 07:31:33 PM »
My LM1 has old earls braided lines with the black exterior & the vehicle inspector did not notice they were braided.
850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 07:50:52 PM »
Goodridge has a good selection also.  I have use these parts many time.  Mostly because they are available at the local parts supplier.

Offline guzzibob

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 11:28:57 PM »
Completely disagree with what some others have said, specifically:

1)Changed out the cracked and decades old rubber hoses on my T3 for stainless. Looked cool, but couldn't tell the difference in the braking. If you like the look, by all means go ahead. I doubt you will find a dramatic performance difference compared to new rubber hoses.
2)I am assuming here that your LM III has stock cast iron rotors. I tried EBC sintered pads on my T3 hand brake, and also on my 1000S. There is a reason EBC specifically recommends against using these pads on cast iron rotors. Initially great results, noticeably stronger braking. However on my T3, warped the disc, which I replaced, then warped the replacement disc. Never ever warped a rotor on well over 100k miles with organic pads. On the 1000S, locked up the brakes while moving, brought me to a stop. Happened twice. Could have been a real hazzard, but I was lucky. Never happened before or since with the organic pads, which I went back to on the S. For the T3 found EBC full floating stainless disc now available from MG Cycle, no problems since, they are meant to be used with EBC sintered pads and that combo works really well. Looks like MG Cycle may have stainless rotors for your LM III that would enable you to use the sintered pads without potential problems. Or if you are still using Brembo organic pads, switch to Ferodo Platinum organic pads for improvement-though not as good as the stainless/sintered combo, but a lot cheaper. To summarize, you ignore what EBC suggests for their own sintered pads at your own risk.
3)DOT-5. No, don't do it. To quote Guzziology, "In spite of the claims DOT 5 should never be used in your Guzzi because Brembo brakes are no compatible with silicone based fluid." There really is no reason to change from Dot 3 or 4 to take the risk of using Dot 5.

Bob Dickman
Burbank CA
91 1000S
78 850T3FB
07 Norge
Lifetime MGNOC/AMA

Offline ed.bremner

• New Egg
  • 850T3 California Rosso
    • BremWeb Imaging
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 03:28:01 AM »
Yup, my experience similar to guzzibob...

Replacing very old and original rubber hoses with stainless Goodridge pipes looked great, but I can't say I noticed any difference in braking at all.

On original iron rotors, I run Ferodo pads and they seem better than the Brembos.  They do seem to take quite a while to bed in, but this is just a feeling, not sure if its true.

My understanding has always been to avoid DOT5 on pretty much all old classic vehicles, but certainly wouldn't use with Brembos, where the seals seem to stretch/deform/swell quicker than I would expect.  DOT 4 and regular changes seem to be best advice.

eib
Moto-Guzzi 850T3 California 77
Turned Red in 87
Both me and the bike knackered but still rolling...
Montesa Cota 247

Offline Dimples

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 07:26:09 AM »

No warnings about cast iron rotors here (the controversial upgrade)--
http://ebcbrakes.com/product/double-h-superbike-pads/
http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110_122&products_id=1601

An option if you flush (rebuild) the complete system as previously noted--
http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-silicone-dot-5-brake-fluid

Even if you just replace the lines, get a MityVac (vacuum pump) and make your task much easier. I don't think this is controversial advice--
http://www.harborfreight.com/mityvac-vacuum-pump-39522.html
'96 Sport 1100 - carb
'71 Ambassador - Venolia

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 09:15:46 AM »
I posted this tip on separating the fittings a little while ago: http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=76291.0

I ended up needing an additional line because one in the kit I had gotten as too short. I got that line and fittings from Venhill. The nice thing about the Venhill system is that it is easy to get the correct angle when attaching the banjos. Their lines are pricey, however.

Bleeding the lines is a true pita. A vacuum bleeder helps--I made an electric one and even with that bleeding took a long time. Oh, and before you start bleeding, use an eye dropper to remove most of the old fluid from the reservoirs, then fill with new. No sense sending old fluid thru the lines.

Of course after I installed the lines, the cap on the front MC started leaking.

Rich A

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 10:46:40 AM »
Can you still find the OEM one? I seem to strike-out when I was searching for my G5.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 11:02:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  Dimples, thank you for posting a picture of your up grade; that sure is clean and tidy looking.  I may just go that route.  This will, most likely, be a project for next summer as my mechanic is booked solid.  In the mean time, I've got plenty to think about. 
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here