Author Topic: To The Computer Techies. Recommendations Please.  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
To The Computer Techies. Recommendations Please.
« on: December 24, 2019, 02:14:51 PM »
Our son is not all that computer savvie.  We are currently looking for a decent anti virus, anti malware suite that has secure banking, password manager etc. etc, but at an affordable price.

We have used Avast free, along with Malwarebytes and I do regular checks up until now, and so far we have escaped anything major.  We have just finished a 60 day free trial of the Avast offering, but it is quite expensive and they did not offer a reduced price when we canned it (Guzzi content :rolleyes:).

I am now asking our amazing Guzzi fraternity what their recommendations are, with reasons why you think that way.   If it is relatively affordable we would put it on three computers.  So far my research shows Bitdefender to be a reasonable option, although backup appears to be patchy at times.

I will be holidaying in the boonies for about 10 days so replies may be patchy; cell phone coverage can be "sporadic" for want of a better word.  Thanks in advance.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
Re: To The Computer Techies. Recommendations Please.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 02:24:34 PM »
I've been using ESET NOD32 Antivirus on four computers since Christ was a cowboy (well, perhaps not that long).  Never had a virus get past the protection.  I'll stick with it until proved wrong.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 02:54:03 PM »
I've been using ESET NOD32 Antivirus on four computers since Christ was a cowboy (well, perhaps not that long).  Never had a virus get past the protection.  I'll stick with it until proved wrong.

Does this also have password protection/ live malware protection Dave?
03 Breva

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 08:40:29 PM »
Yes, and yes.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 08:40:29 PM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 09:43:01 AM »
I just use the defender that is built in. Why 'infect' your computer with bloated software that you have to pay for?
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 10:17:31 AM »
I just use the defender that is built in. Why 'infect' your computer with bloated software that you have to pay for?

Wayne. I have the "free" AVG package.  Should I delete it?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 11:14:49 AM »
Wayne. I have the "free" AVG package.  Should I delete it?

If you have the lasted Win 10, and keep it up to date, I would delete it. Win 10 defender has worked well for me, and most reviews say it is adequate.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 12:27:08 PM »
as a comcast user (/victim) i am using the norton suite that comes with my internet subscription.  sure, i don't pay a separate monthly fee for it but the damned thing is bloatware supreme.  it sucks up an inordinate amount of my cpu's attention span and is constantly running some variety of chores in background. i don't use it specifically for banking and i have other software that i use for browser protection. all in all i find the norton to be vampiritic and am questioning my use of it.

"The only things in the middle of the road are two yellow lines and a dead armadillo."
     - Jim Hightower
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 01:34:47 PM »
There is no answer to this and I don't care who says otherwise. I've seen computers with all the main operating systems come into my shop with viruses, malware, rogues, rootkits, spam, spyware, adware, etc and they've had all the popular antivirus programs on them. The problem is that ALL antivirus programs are at minimum 12 hours behind, always playing catch-up to the troublemakers that create the damned things for malicious intentions.

The only answer is to exercise safe browsing habits behind a good firewall. Stay away from the obviously bad sites like adult oriented, gambling, file sharing, etc.

If you practice safe browsing habits behind a good firewall and/or DNS service (like opendns), you should be fine running free antivirus programs, or even the built in one of Windows 10.  If you are running W10, you need to be on release 1909. To find which version you have, type winver in the search line and hit enter. Anything less than 1909 is obsolete. Also, sleep is the absolute worse thing you can do to your computers. Disable sleep, enable a screensaver and leave that thing on 24/7 so it'll update, run scans, etc at night.

FWIW, I've been using the free version of Avast since around 2001. You have to configured it to run nightly scans and updates and it's almost as good as the paid version.

Nice day here in the Ozarks today and I was able to squeeze about 100 miles out on the 01 EV :thumb:
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 04:33:08 PM »
If you are running W10, you need to be on release 1909. To find which version you have, type winver in the search line and hit enter. Anything less than 1909 is obsolete.

Interesting.  I'm running Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.535).  I can't find anywhere to update it further.  Perhaps I'm already infected?   :shocked:

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2019, 06:51:34 PM »
Interesting.  I'm running Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.535).  I can't find anywhere to update it further.  Perhaps I'm already infected?   :shocked:

Nah, just go to settings and check for updates.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2019, 10:25:09 PM »
So managed to get Windows to update, and I'm now up to speed (version 1909).

Haven't noticed any difference.

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2019, 11:03:55 PM »
So managed to get Windows to update, and I'm now up to speed (version 1909).

Haven't noticed any difference.

This is because 1909 ist nothing much more than an extended "normal" update of 1903. Same kernel, a lot of bugfixes, general cleanup. Nearly no new features. To add to the prior posts (especially Luaps): When you use the built-in Windows safety program Defender is only a part of the safety strategy of Windows. The whole "Microsoft Security"  - settings should be scrutinized and switched to the (for the user and machine) best settings. And - if the computer can handle it: put the Defender in the sandbox (Power Shell as admin, "setx /M MP_FORCE_USE_SANDBO X 1"). And if you have to take a look on suspicious websites, the "Defender Application Guard" helps - at least if you use Edge. The Defender Application Guard Companion allows the secure usage of other browsers.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 01:30:51 PM »
Thanks guys. Now back in the land of the living where I can get those magic radio waves and things. :grin:

Will musillate on the replies and see what is the best option for him.  Appreciate the responses.
03 Breva

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 02:01:55 PM »
I went full Windows on my computer to include the $100/year for the cloud based Office.  It updates itself and I've never had a problem; Defender is as good as any of the products I would guess.

For banking I mostly use the droid and sandboxed apps.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here