Author Topic: To fork or not to fork...  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
To fork or not to fork...
« on: August 25, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »
I have a Cal II cafe project with 35mm forks. 

-Option one- fork brace, FAC dampers
-Option two-Modern front end with any attendant sizing issues.

Are there plug and play cartridge forks to fit my Guzzi?  I want to keep the Borrani rims and don't want to re-lace them.  I can relocate the calipers and make a new mount for them.
I like to ride fast and enjoy corners.  I have rebuilt Konis on the back, stock swingarm.

What does the cogniscenti think?

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
Re: To fork or not to fork...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 05:24:08 PM »
I like to ride fast and enjoy corners.

I can't offer anything about the forks, but I am curious about the choice of a Cal2 as your starting point.

Having put a few hundred thousand miles on one of these, the best word that describes this model is "mild."  Mild handling, mild acceleration, mild on a twisting road (it's got the longest wheelbase of any Tonti).  All that mildness makes for a very good long-distance touring ride, but I would never think of a Cal2 as the starting point for a a cafĂ© racer.

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 06:36:14 PM »
Well, Rough Edge racing bought it as a land speed racer.  he and his rider didn't like it enough to keep it around.  Rough Edge had striped it down, relocated the battery,rewired it and replaced a lot of odds and ends.the bike was a sound platform with LSR cred.  I rode it and felt like i was straddling a locomotive- it just kept pulling.  Not very quick but revved up it goes through sweepers and such well. Stops well for an '85- tops on my list.
I know the swingarm is long- may do a transplant at some time.  i raised the back end up an inch, added rebuilt Konis and that helped the steering.
I do plan to do more customizing and hop ups on it.  The basics are there, the total costs aren't bad.
For my very fast riding i have a Buell.  For the cafe crowd, my Guzzi oddball.  For dirt roads and slower speeds my '76 Triumph Scrambler.
For putting around( when it's back on the road)  my 74 R90/6 bobber.

You can see why the Guzzi fits right in! :thumb:

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 06:40:24 PM »
there's always this version if you want double the horsepower....

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 06:40:24 PM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 06:42:37 PM »
I can't offer anything about the forks, but I am curious about the choice of a Cal2 as your starting point.

Having put a few hundred thousand miles on one of these, the best word that describes this model is "mild."  Mild handling, mild acceleration, mild on a twisting road (it's got the longest wheelbase of any Tonti).  All that mildness makes for a very good long-distance touring ride, but I would never think of a Cal2 as the starting point for a a café racer.

:1:

Ok, that said, a "modern" front end on a Tonti just "looks" wrong to me. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 06:49:05 PM »
Fork Brace... One man, one vote.

I've braced several-three bikes in the past. Most gratifying if I had significant time flogging them pre-brace first. What a difference!

And the look... For a "Cafe" look - which fairly screams for nostalgic intimations - it's hard to beat a well crafted brace.

I look at them for bikes much the way I do "traction/ladder bars" in auto applications; look good, work well and keep me from getting all caught up in new fangled alternatives... greater possible returns not withstanding.

Big forks let alone USDs just let me down visually when I'm supposed to be nudged towards notions vintage on a bike.

Too, just as with the HP/Torque debate - no question that most don't reap the rewards attendant to nearly race-grade suspension.

Todd.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:50:10 PM by cruzziguzzi »
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 08:54:54 PM »
do you want to try to adapt a fork from an EV? I'll give you  good deal on the complete fork triple clamps, brakes axle etc. press in your fork stem and go..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 06:44:29 PM »
Foto- I'll pm you.  i want to see what you got.
Cruzzi n Chuck- My BMW and my Triumph both have fork braces.  A stiffer right side up fork would take a bit of flex out of the equation.  I too like period style upgrades.  I would like to do some track days and i like good handling  so stiffening things up is important.

Just looking for options and anyone who has swapped forks out.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 06:49:11 PM »
there's always this version if you want double the horsepower....

Alas, did we learn NOTHING from the Ariel Square Four about back cylinder overheating?    :wink:

Although it looks like the front cylinders are burning the exhaust from the rear cylinders, like the high and low-pressure cylinders in a steam engine.    Could be very efficient .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 10:59:38 AM »
I know someone with an Ariel Sq 4.  He reports overheating is grossly exaggerated

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 11:34:05 AM »
I know someone with an Ariel Sq 4.  He reports overheating is grossly exaggerated

The worst aspect of "overheating" and especially on the early ones was that there was a natural (man made) pooling point in the rear corners for oil to sit and cook after shut down. Later, it was eliminated - possibly with the independent rear exhaust heads - but can and should be welded up in any case to eliminate the low spot. Obvious activity when attending to valve seals and seats anyhow.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here