Author Topic: Titles for barn finds , etc..  (Read 4658 times)

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
Titles for barn finds , etc..
« on: January 27, 2016, 05:36:18 PM »
Some of you might remember that I bought a 2001 Bonneville in November. It was listed on CL as a non titled bike. The seller provided a paper showing an internet search that proved the bike was not stolen, and a bill of sale. I found a link online to a service that will go through the state of Vermont to get a title for me. Apparently Vermont does not care where you live, they will issue you owners papers and a licence plate you can use to get insurance and ride the bike.  It is much easier (and cheaper) to get these services if your bike is 15 years old or more, so I waited til the first of the year on my 2001 to apply.  The service (a fellow in Pennsylvania lol) and the 1% tax that Vermont charges came to $231. ( with about an $1100 value on the bike). He took paypal. It took about 3 weeks, but I got my tags and temporary registration in the mail today. A transferable owners card is supposed to come in another week, which I will take, along with proof of insurance to the DMV for an Okie title.  I could ride on the Vermont tags for one year and renew online if I so chose, but I will try to get a legal local title. Will tell you later how THAT works out. If and when I have a local title in my hand, I will give these guys a full recommendation, but everything so far has worked like they said it would.  You might be able to save a few bucks by dealing directly with Vermont, but I don't mind the fees if they get me a title.  :wink:

http://www.motorecyclenow.com/title-service.html
http://www.motorecyclenow.com/
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

oldbike54

Re: Titles for barn finds , etc..
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 05:46:15 PM »
 Larry , I think this can be handled by a good tag agent in Okieland . I recommend the agent in
Ft Gibson , they have helped me a couple of times .

Dusty

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 05:57:49 PM »
Check with your own state for their policy. 
Minnesota will not accept Vermont registrations.....T hey want a title.  When researching this topic on the web I found two MN owners who found out after they paid Vermont........
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 06:32:14 PM »
I've done it twice with vintage bikes, dealing directly with VT.  They only register vehicles 25 years or older.  They mailed a registration and plate to NJ.  I then took that to the DMV and got a title.  Only a matter of time before NJ catches on, if they haven't already.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 06:32:14 PM »

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 09:13:55 PM »
The VT method worked for me, twice, in Mass.  Both were bikes over 40 yrs old, small, cheap, so they didn't attract attention.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 09:39:54 PM »
I dealt directly with Vermont on my DKW as well. At the time there was a limitation on the age and engine size of the bike, something like less than 300cc.
I ended up paying something like $70, the Arizona MVD accepted the VT transferable registration with no hassle.

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 10:09:48 PM »
Minnesota will not accept Vermont registrations.....T hey want a title.  When researching this topic on the web I found two MN owners who found out after they paid Vermont........

PA will accept a registration and bill of sale for vehicles from states that don't issue titles for older vehicles.

So, maybe, to get a Minnesota title, you'll need to get a title from PA or another state with similar rules first.

Or, just keep renewing the VT registration and ride on that.   MN will just miss out on the revenue.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 05:20:55 AM »

NY doesn't issue titles on vehicles older than 1972.. I have sold non title NY vintage trucks and bikes, all road worthy, to Florida, California, Canada and Holland. None of the new owners had a problem at their DMV. I have registered several bikes and Jeeps in NY with zero prior paper work.

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 07:58:57 AM »
I titled a '62 Lambretta TV175 this way. I dealt directly with the VM DMV (nice people, answered the phone quickly and politely) - Cost me around $70 as well, then around $16 to get the Ohio Title. I also learned about the 300cc limitation, but if I recall correctly that was on the Ohio side of things to accept the VM registration as proof of ownership. This was in 2012.

1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 02:02:19 PM »
It used to be easy to get a title in Indiana until some used car dealers began to play the system. It's a bitch, now. If it's from out of state, you not only have to have a clean title, the bike has to be physically inspected by the police.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 02:10:20 PM »
Ohio is pretty strict too, but luckily the out of-state-inspection (also done at the BMV, $2 and one line before getting into the longer line for the Title....) is only a visual inspection to be sure your documentation match the physical VIN and Mileage on clock. The bikes don't have to run at all, or even be complete.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

canuguzzi

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 03:19:26 PM »
Just because a DMV issues a title does not mean there can be no legal or criminal consequences to buying a bike what was found or considered by you to be abandoned. Each state is different but in some states, selling an abandoned vehicle without going through an abatement or lien sale process could be a felony.

It gets worse if you use another state's process to circumvent the process in your own state. People do strange things. If you live in a state you are bound by that states laws, making a phone call to get ownership in another state means you've likely committed a crime. The people at the DMV aren't required to research the legalities of issuing a title, they just follow a process and like writing a bad check, the person writing the check, not the one cashing it is the one that gets the prosecution.

If it isn't legal in your state and you use another state to go around the law, all you've done is become a criminal. Whether you get caught or not is another story but if anything ever goes wrong, you think the person you sold it to is going to pay for your legal woes or come to your aid? Think that other state will?

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 03:32:15 PM »
The procedure to get a title for an untitled vehicle can be easy enough in some states.  I went through it in NC a couple years ago and wrote up the procedure on another board.  Here's a link in case it can help any NC residents:

http://www.kawi2strokes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8317&p=82250
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 09:58:24 AM »
It used to be easy to get a title in Indiana until some used car dealers began to play the system. It's a bitch, now. If it's from out of state, you not only have to have a clean title, the bike has to be physically inspected by the police.

same is true here in Okieland
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 10:14:35 AM »
same is true here in Okieland

Last time, I brought in a Texas titled Sportster. It was February and freezing. THAT time the girl at DMV was satisfied with a phone photo of the VIN...   :wink:
2017 Suzuki DR650

oldbike54

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 11:17:30 AM »
 I've managed to title some barn finds in the past . Oklahoma has a system , it works , or did until recently . Once again , the trick is finding a tag agent willing to work with you . Our agent in Ft Gibson has titled several MCs for a couple of us , the last one cost about $75.00 and took about two weeks. Don't believe it when some employee at a tag agency says it can't be done , that only means either they don't know how , or aren't willing to do the work . Or at least that is how is was , hell , things change , but I wouldn't give up until contacting several agents .

Dusty

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 11:39:20 AM »
Don't believe it when some employee at a tag agency says it can't be done , that only means either they don't know how , or aren't willing to do the work

One branch I visited called foul with my Astore's 5 digit VIN shown in a photo.  They said it has to be 17 digit's.  I laughed and mentioned in a jokingly way..... "this was built in a barn in Italy in 1949.  They had only built 28,000 motorcycles in the 28 years of operation so far."   Her superior concurred it was all right and set me on the path of getting it bonded for 3 years etc, etc.   
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 11:57:53 AM »
I've managed to title some barn finds in the past . Oklahoma has a system , it works , or did until recently . Once again , the trick is finding a tag agent willing to work with you . Our agent in Ft Gibson has titled several MCs for a couple of us , the last one cost about $75.00 and took about two weeks. Don't believe it when some employee at a tag agency says it can't be done , that only means either they don't know how , or aren't willing to do the work . Or at least that is how is was , hell , things change , but I wouldn't give up until contacting several agents .

Dusty

Thanks, Dusty. There is a process in OK called Title 42.  I have already spent the $ on this Vermont thing, and I have a set of tags I can use. IF my scheme fails, I'll do the Title 42.  :wink:
2017 Suzuki DR650

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here