Author Topic: TN/NC/GA trip on Norge: ride report  (Read 830 times)

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
TN/NC/GA trip on Norge: ride report
« on: July 06, 2018, 03:31:59 PM »
Day 7 of ride in Tellico Plains at Hunt's Lodge. Nice hosts and place is well prepared for motorcyclists
 We have been here 2 nights; nobody else here tonight. Beer scene in TP sucks; can't find a decent brew anywhere. Got drenched on Cherohala Skyway yesterday, but had a nice ride  today. Spent previous 2 nights at Two Wheels of Suches in north Georgia. Nice place; very few patrons. The roads around Suches are spectacular. Wolf Pen Gap Road puts the Tail of the Dragon to shame.

First 3 nights of trip were spent at a Red Roof Inn in Asheville
 There we focussed on beer. Went to a few biggies: New Belgium and Sierra Nevada; I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the beer and the overall experience at the latter; don't generally like crowded, commercialized places. Was blown away by the sheer number of good microbreweries downtown. Favorite was Green Man. We did manage to get in several hours of riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but sections of fresh chip and seal took some of the fun out of it.

While in Suches we rode to the town of Blue Ridge. Had a wonderful porter at Grumpy Man brewery; I highly recommend the place.

Tomorrow we head home with an overnight stop in Morehead, KY. Outside of new rear tire in Asheville, the Norge has been problem free, great road bike.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: TN/NC/GA trip on Norge: ride report
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 03:40:57 PM »
We have been here 2 nights; nobody else here tonight. Beer scene in TP sucks; can't find a decent brew anywhere. Got drenched on Cherohala Skyway yesterday, but had a nice ride  today. Spent previous 2 nights at Two Wheels of Suches in north Georgia. Nice place; very few patrons. The roads around Suches are spectacular. Wolf Pen Gap Road puts the Tail of the Dragon to shame.

Tellico Plains pretty much rolls up what little sidewalk that have around 5PM. Not much there in the evenings.

I agree on the North Georgia roads. Hard to find anything really bad. They were talking about shutting down Wolf Pen Gap road for about qa year to reroute a bridge. That would be disappointing.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 04:17:45 PM »
First 3 nights of trip were spent at a Red Roof Inn in Asheville
 There we focussed on beer. Went to a few biggies: New Belgium and Sierra Nevada; I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the beer and the overall experience at the latter; don't generally like crowded, commercialized places. Was blown away by the sheer number of good microbreweries downtown. Favorite was Green Man.

Man I love Asheville.  Love the beer scene.  All the small Breweries downtown in walking distance.  Huge fan of the Asheville Guitar Bar just over the river from West Asheville.
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 11:52:14 AM »
The Dragon is a better road because you can find a rythym & set your own pace. Wolfpen Gap (Ga180) is made up of sections that causes different degrees of technicality. The twistiest road in Ga can be fun if skilled otherwise it scares most unfamilier riders. I hope they leave the bridge over Lake Winfield Scott alone. After a tightening right sweeper the bridge requires an immediate 90 degree left that cathces you by surprise initially. 1/3 of what older local riders called The Cooler Run causes a fair amount of pain & expense every year.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 11:52:14 AM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 04:50:56 PM »
One major difference between Wolf Pen Gap and the section of 129 called the Tail of the Dragon is that there are no driveways, side streets, etc. on the Tail of the Dragon.  Can't say the same for Wolf Pen Gap. 

The Dragon was just another fun mountain road before it got all commercialized.  You can still ride it with very little traffic if you time it correctly.  Timed incorrectly, and you are either in heavy traffic, or dealing with locals heading to work and straightening the curves in their pickups.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here