Author Topic: Riding single cyclinder Norge  (Read 3897 times)

Offline bib

• New Egg
Riding single cyclinder Norge
« on: March 08, 2015, 06:35:05 AM »
What's it like?
Idles a bit funny ... pulls away from standstill if you give it 2500+ revs, keep opening throttle in second to get to 40kmph and around 3000 rpm BANG! the world blurs as the second cyclinder cuts in ....brakes hard on to avoid putting a dent in the cage in front and you are back to one cyclinder .. rinse and repeat.
How this unfolded:
15 minutes from destination noticed a misfire and hiccup - 10 minutes later putting along as a single cyclinder... not good... horrible horrible thoughts of soft cams failing etc etc..
 Got bike transported home, checked and found it was LH not firing though can see spark plug sparking (a wise person will not place their noggin right over the spark plug hole with no plug in and then crank the beast -  :o  there is enough compression there to clear a path between the ears - back to learning my abc's)
Anyway - check valve clearances - in spec LH and RH - put two new plugs in and engine sounded 'normal' aha! waited for darkness, yep ... blue spark between plug caps and head ... intermittent.
Fashioned a rubber boot over plug caps and test ride later all smiles!
Ordered NGK plug caps and will install when arrived.
Again - got onto this quickly thanks to all of you who posted this problem and the remedy ..  :bow
Note: The plug caps had insulation tape wrapped around them before this happened, I had washed the bike with a gentle spray a day previously, the Black Italian Beauty carried me for 30kms and then misfired, I suspect moisture ???

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Riding single cyclinder Norge
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 09:27:44 AM »
I am reluctant to "wash" my bike with water. I use a spray cleaner and a cloth. Glad you found your problem.
I thought you were talking about a new Moto Guzzi model

Offline bib

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 12:45:55 AM »
Guzzi was unhappy and so was I ...
To provide an update .. after the last 'fix' the beast ran fine for another 180kms (2 1/2 days commute) then began to exhibit a misfire at idle when hot.
This misfire was not 'evident' at 2000 rpm and up .. maybe not noticeable?
Not wanting to damage her I parked her until new plug caps and new leads arrived.
Did not have time to investigate which cylinder/plug/lead was at fault.
Now new plug caps NGK SB05E and silicon soiled wire leads are on both pots will update after a week .. maybe I have found and fixed problem, maybe not.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 02:32:08 AM »
That's a classic description of leaky spark.  I'd think it would put on a light show at night. 

After getting contact buzzed in the rain one night I ran my wires through plastic tubing.  Up to about 2500rpm I don't know which was misfiring worse -- the left pot, or me.   :o

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 02:32:08 AM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 06:40:41 AM »
I am reluctant to "wash" my bike with water. I use a spray cleaner and a cloth. Glad you found your problem.
I thought you were talking about a new Moto Guzzi model
I guess you never venture out in the rain then  ???

I take the opposite approach, I wash mine with the high pressure hose at the car wash, ride in the rain etc.
My theory is dry dirt is not a conductor, neither is clean water but combine the two and it will short out.
The same when I wash the car, I open the hood and go at the engine, It hasn't failed me yet and I get comments on how clean the engine
is when I take it for a lube job.

In high Voltage switchyards you sometimes see them hosing down the insulators live.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 07:54:01 AM »
I guess you never venture out in the rain then  ???

I take the opposite approach, I wash mine with the high pressure hose at the car wash, ride in the rain etc.
My theory is dry dirt is not a conductor, neither is clean water but combine the two and it will short out.
The same when I wash the car, I open the hood and go at the engine, It hasn't failed me yet and I get comments on how clean the engine
is when I take it for a lube job.

In high Voltage switchyards you sometimes see them hosing down the insulators live.

I've had my Breva 1100 in some pretty heavy down pours, and never had a mis-fire (touch wood).
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 08:39:23 AM »
I do not purposely ride in the rain.
I have been caught in the rain a few times.
One time in a rainy ride the trip computer started doing funny things.
When it was dry it went back to normal.
There is alot of electrical connections on the Norge

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »
Bikes should be made to ride in the rain, especially a bike like the Norge!

I bought my Norge so I could commute on it, rain or shine. If mine starts having trouble due to rain, I will be sorely put out...

Best of luck with yours!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 11:15:48 AM »
Been riding my "old" Norge rain or shine for 8 years, no water-related problems.

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 11:20:32 AM »
I have ridden in some major downpours on the Norge and the only trouble has been one of the front turn signals. I guess some water gets in there and will act up under certain conditions and it will throw up an error on the dash.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 11:55:59 AM »
My Norge has been at speed in some torrential downpours and never missed a beat.  As long as it's warm I kind of enjoy riding in heavy weather, it is very elemental somehow.
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline bib

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 07:40:08 AM »
 :bike
Had the new plug caps and leads installed for over a week now including a ride in a rain... what a great bike in wet weather! controllable torque,
feels very stable even in heavy windy conditions.
Folks reading this forum can easily get the impression the MG Norge is a 'troublesome' machine, maybe some are, the issues with mine have been poor quality
servicing by a MG dealership, quite possibly damaged plug caps due to same reason as they were taped over with black insulation tape when I got her.
The only quality control issue has been ... zilch... nothing as yet and that is after 28000 kms.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here