Author Topic: Daytona 200 live........  (Read 5918 times)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
Daytona 200 live........
« on: March 13, 2015, 12:22:40 AM »
............on www.FansChoice.tv Saturday @ 12:30pm eastern time,  09:30am pacific time.  8)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 12:28:48 AM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Daytona 200 live........
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 10:54:20 AM »
I only see a half dozen pro riders on the list.  The bikes are running under 600 class rules.  it's a sad decline for the 200 since Mladin won it on a 1000.

Defending champ Danny Eslick is riding a Suzuki 600 rather than Triumph 675.  Odd deal since the Triumph is selling a bunch of 675 DE editions in 2015, each one signed by Danny.   Okla & Triumph connection:  Daytona 200 winners on Triumph, last was Gary Nixon and then gapped to Danny.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 01:48:24 PM »
I only see a half dozen pro riders on the list.  The bikes are running under 600 class rules.  it's a sad decline for the 200 since Mladin won it on a 1000.

Defending champ Danny Eslick is riding a Suzuki 600 rather than Triumph 675.  Odd deal since the Triumph is selling a bunch of 675 DE editions in 2015, each one signed by Danny.   Okla & Triumph connection:  Daytona 200 winners on Triumph, last was Gary Nixon and then gapped to Danny.

Right now this is the only racing ride Danny has for the year.  ???  Other than this 1 race weekend all the other races this year will have the usual suspects tho many riders will be with different teams than in the past.  Next year this race will be part of the annual MotoAmerica RR series.  Yamaha will have some ringers in the races this weekend including Josh Herrin in the 200 race.  I think next year the 200 will once again be the 1000s, tho it really doesn't matter to me since it's an endurance race.  ;D   I'd rather see a safe race than a race with tires coming apart @ 200 mph.  :+=copcar
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:58:01 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 02:04:23 PM »
It's a shadow of its former self, and the grandstands and infield are virtually vacant.  Sad.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:16:20 PM by youcanrunnaked »
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 02:04:23 PM »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 02:42:20 PM »
It's a shadow of its former self, and the grandstands are virtually vacant.  Sad.

Have you ever been to the MC races there?  I have.   As a spectator unless you're on the inside the view from the bleachers are too far away.  It's a stock car race track.  Your best view of it is from a TV with instant replay and zoom lenses.  Never seen a lot of fans in the bleachers there for a bike race except for the supercross races which even then is a small % of all the seats available.  As a spectator there is no comparison to race tracks like laguna Seca and Sears Point, unless you like looking thru safety fencing put up for stock car races.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:44:12 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 03:14:27 PM »
^^^  Yes, I've been there for the 200 -- several times -- and what I meant to say is:  The place is EMPTY!  The participants and related staff nearly outnumber the spectators.
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 05:57:28 PM »

Right now this is the only racing ride Danny has for the year.  ???  Other than this 1 race weekend all the other races this year will have the usual suspects tho many riders will be with different teams than in the past.  Next year this race will be part of the annual MotoAmerica RR series.  Yamaha will have some ringers in the races this weekend including Josh Herrin in the 200 race.  I think next year the 200 will once again be the 1000s, tho it really doesn't matter to me since it's an endurance race.  ;D   I'd rather see a safe race than a race with tires coming apart @ 200 mph.  :+=copcar

why did Daytona cancel Moto America this year?  Their first race is now during COTA MOTO GP.

Sorry to hear Danny has no ride this year.  I saw that he won the Brazilian 1000 on a Kaw last year too.

Anyway, the 200 was the nail in the coffin for me to skip Bikeweek.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 06:23:32 PM »
 Interesting how the 3 oldest Harley fests in the U.S. started out as races and degenerated to where they are now , while the racing at the IOM is still the centerpiece . 'Muricans really don't care much about MC pavement racing , simply not in our genes .(Jeans?)

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 06:33:13 PM »
Americans were the best motorcycle racers in the world.  We had two world titles 8-10 years ago.  Colin in WSBK and Nicky in Moto GP and the list goes along ways back to 1970s.
John L 

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 06:36:49 PM »
Americans were the best motorcycle racers in the world.  We had two world titles 8-10 years ago.  Colin in WSBK and Nicky in Moto GP and the list goes along ways back to 1970s.

True , but all of the great American road racers came up riding dirt . Oddly enough , Matt Mladin was the highest paid pavement guy in America for years  ???

Dusty

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 07:02:14 PM »
why did Daytona cancel Moto America this year?  Their first race is now during COTA MOTO GP.

Because MA became complete too close to the time for the Daytona 200.   There wasn't enough gap/time for all participants to prepare for it this year.  Next year will be different.   Commitments for a show like Daytona have to be made months ahead by mfg.s  and this year it just couldn't be accomplished.

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 05:18:25 AM »
It was a great race, but to me anytime Eslick beats Herrin it a great race.;-)
Bob
We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

Offline Hawker

• New Egg
  • Love V Twins of many incarnations.
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 12:36:35 PM »
Turned out to be a great race.  I watched/listened all the way back in my car from Daytona to Atlanta.  My wife drove.  :)

Thanks to Fanschoice TV for making it possible.  I've heard from several sources that the infield bleachers were packed and the crowd was larger than it has been in the last couple of years.  Not sure, just what I've read.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 02:30:39 PM »
Turned out to be a great race.  I watched/listened all the way back in my car from Daytona to Atlanta.  My wife drove.  :)

Thanks to Fanschoice TV for making it possible.  I've heard from several sources that the infield bleachers were packed and the crowd was larger than it has been in the last couple of years.  Not sure, just what I've read.

I'd say if you're on top of a RV next to the track in the infield with binocs, plenty of beer,  that's the best view of the Daytona races.  :BEER:

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 10:45:49 AM »
I did not make it to Daytona this year due to health issues, but I am wondering if this is the way others saw it.  It sounds like a continuation of the problems that I noted in recent years, only worse....

http://www.bike-urious.com/is-the-daytona-200-dead/

One question I have is whether International Speedway Corporation is complicit in the race's demise.  The author seems to suggest this.  I remember that when IndyCar abandoned the Homestead race, which had been the series finale, they cited the ambivalence if not hostility of ISC to any racing series not owned or controlled by ISC or the France family....
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 10:46:59 AM by youcanrunnaked »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 11:01:09 AM »
A NASCAR affiliated group (Daytona Motorsports Group) took over AMA road racing about 6 years ago.  That's when the 600 class ran the 200.  DMG pretty much ran American motorcycle road racing into the ground, running off sponsors, promoters, and manufacturers and the 200 continued to flounder into a mere shadow of what it was. 

This year a new group, Moto America, lead by Wayne Rainy, and many others have taken over AMA road racing from DMG.  For some reason, they didn't come to terms to run the 200 this year.  Moto America will run it's first races at COTA in during Moto GP weekend.

I have no idea what's in the future of the 200.   This year, it was pretty much an Amateur race with a handful of pros stealing the show.  Even more confusing, in 2014 Daytona Speedway announced that they intended to run 1000 Superbikes for the 200 for 2015.  For some reason it all fell through.  Looks like a big mess.  Some have mentioned this was a temporary situation and Moto America will be there in 2016.   
John L 

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 12:46:51 PM »
I dunno....

How unrealistic is it to attend a premier race event at a supposedly wold-class track, and expect easy access to the viewing areas, helpful staff, comprehensible track announcements, working video monitors, etc.?

When IndyCar left Homestead (much to my disappointment), they pretty much accused ISC of sabotaging the race.  At the time, I thought it might have been IRL's attempt to deflect blame from themselves for whatever problems there might have been with the event.  Now, I am not so sure....
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 12:51:04 PM by youcanrunnaked »

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 05:13:46 PM »
I dunno....

How unrealistic is it to attend a premier race event at a supposedly wold-class track, and expect easy access to the viewing areas, helpful staff, comprehensible track announcements, working video monitors, etc.?

When IndyCar left Homestead (much to my disappointment), they pretty much accused ISC of sabotaging the race.  At the time, I thought it might have been IRL's attempt to deflect blame from themselves for whatever problems there might have been with the event.  Now, I am not so sure....

Unfortunately the 200 has not been a premier event in years , that was kind of my point . The author was obviously out of touch with that fact .

Dusty

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 05:18:17 PM »
Is it a second-class event because ISC gives it short shrift, or does ISC give it short shrift because it's a second-class event?  ???

Either way, I would think a premier race venue could do better.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 05:56:14 PM »
If I were running it, I'd go to the 1000 rules, open it up to all comers, and make a concerted effort to get the International TT and WSBK guys there.  I'd make it special like Suzuka. 
John L 

oldbike54

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 06:03:59 PM »
If I were running it, I'd go to the 1000 rules, open it up to all comers, and make a concerted effort to get the International TT and WSBK guys there.  I'd make it special like Suzuka. 

That might work , if the race was in Japan , or Europe . In America the only way the 200 will draw a good crowd is if they change the race to a Harley Davidson parade  ::)

Dusty

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here