Author Topic: V7R comparo STRX, first impressions  (Read 4239 times)

lucydad

V7R comparo STRX, first impressions
« on: March 14, 2015, 08:36:42 PM »
All,

Ok I scored the STRX this afternoon.  Took a while to work thru paperwork, and the brand new TEXAS registration/insurance (effective March 1st) requiring full insurance binder before plate/inspection.  Rode out of dealer around 3 pm, superb interaction, very pleased.  My pre-delivery inspection discovered a loose front brake fluid reservoir cap, and a service tech was summarily scolded by manager, and they fixed it. 

Got a keen Triumph "Distinguished Rider's"  t-shirt (fundraiser prostate cancer, and yep I contributed last year) as part of my negotiations. 

Some pix in the garage, smiling this time after 70 mile ride. 

Had dealer add frame sliders (good for plastic bits) and tank pad, the knee pads will be here in a week. Glad I had tank pad. 

So here is the comparo.  Rode the Brazos Bend loop, it has some good sweeper curves, some fast stretches, and a bit of stop and go and bit of freeway.
Rode the beloved V7R on same stretch yesterday, and STRX same stretch today.

STRX:  sublime cornering, just feels like its on rails, the dV/dT stunning,  kept bike in under 6000 rpm range for break in, and the six speed was perfect, with top end around 70 mph,  braking powerful, precise, and predictable,  seat a bit hard, and with winds the bike blew a bit, and I noticed the wind blast hits me pretty direct,  slow stretches easy and predictable, no issues,  lean angle actually less than V7R, and the bike is actually very smooth and fairly quiet until flogged a bit, then it produces quite a roar, but I am taking it easy on the new engine.  Used about half the 109 or so hp and RPM.  Love the twin front disk brakes. Verdict:  refined, yet bad ass.  Seating has plenty of room to move around, slope not too bad on dangley bits.  Need to add small bag for water bottle and such.  Mirrors still adjusting but I bet I end up replacing them.

V7R:  flog this Guzzi to its limit, all the time, every bit of the 48 hp are used and I wrap the bike to near the 7000 rpm limiter on almost every shift,  good cornering and better tracking in high winds and on freeways than the Trumpet, loud engine, the twin exhausts really roar above 5000 rpm their own chorus, braking is more gradual than STRX and takes more of a handful, but can chirp tires, limited passing ability but wise use of pace results in pretty spirited rides,  full of personality.  Verdict:  soulful and plain fun to romp.

Errata:  to my eyes the V7R is one of the most beautiful motorcycles built, particularly the black tank version.  The beautiful twin V-twin engine fins are rhapsody for the eyes, what a motorcycle should be and the red frame, and details of the bike sublime.  The balanced profile never disappoints, truly a piece of design and engineering artwork.  The bike "punches above its weight"  due to willingness to rev and very predictable handling.  Truly unique.

The STRX by contrast shows no real engine beauty.  The triple pipes are pretty, but end in a so-so looking singular low slung exhaust, but the sounds produced are unique to a triple and the roar above 5000 rpm simply amazing.  Balance and refinement are astonishing.  The instrumentation is amazing:  gear indicator, two trip odometers, average mileage, a fuel tank level, large tach with LED displays, large easy to read speed number, you name it does everything except mix your martini end of ride.  Love the bright red LED rear brake light and clear turn signals.  Superb finish, and a high light are the red wheels and even finished with side angled air stems (nice touch compared to difficult to reach Guzzi). 

What else?  Time will tell.  Oh, yeah side stand on Trumpet is difficult to reach, but I will fix that with some little add on.  Guzzi is very, very guilty of stick side stand on small blocks that cooks out grease and sticks. 

Both bikes delightfully low center of gravity, and light weight:  big deal for a smallish guy like me.  I think the larger rear tire on the Triumph will add to braking performance compared to Guzzi.  Guzzi has quirks:  demands to warm up when started or it stalls, gives you that torque rock that I love, and Guzzi transmission takes a good jab, and getting used to to drop into first, but once you know the Italian verbs:  not a problem.  Trumpet transmission is like a swiss watch by comparison, light and precise, and oh yeah I love that gear indicator.  I still think a 6 speed is wasted on the V7R, but that is just my opinion.

This coming week I will ride both bikes more and secure side and large top rack bag to Guzzi.  I will test fit tent, sleeping bag and pad and other camping gear.  Hell I may go motorcycle camping next weekend if it does not tropical rain. 

So, yeah there it is.  Oh and Triumph provides superb manuals and a nifty blue satchel with Triumph logo for their bikes.  Guzzi gave a small little owner's manual with some incomplete, and incorrect information (like fuel tank capacity).  The English seem to value documentation.  Aftermarket stuff on the STRX is abundant, no so much on Guzzi, but there is enough out there if one is patient.

Fabulous day.  I am so grateful.  I feel like Pee Wee, the luckiest boy in the world. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKIO6KIOFy0

I think of Dusty when I see Captain Carl. Mekka lekka hai mekka heiney ho....repeat....com e on!

dilligaf

Re: V7R comparo STRX, first impressions
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 08:54:12 PM »

:BEER:
Matt

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 09:23:02 PM »
Nice write-up and congrats for the trumpet. I've not heard anything but good about those bikes. You have a nice companion for the goose. It will be interesting to see which bike calls to you most since they are both smaller bikes. It's easy for me since one is large and the other small. i suppose it depends on mood now for you.
Have a ball and be careful on that hotrod.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

lucydad

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 09:26:49 PM »
All,

One last thought.  I was not ready for a STR when I bought the Guzzi nearly 3 years ago.  I came off a Kawasaki EX 500 Ninja. The Ninja was a great little twin and it was a hoot and would rev hard, but handling a bit clumsy and brakes pretty basic.  Kept the Ninja just over a year, and then searched and tested and pondered and bought the Guzzi V7R:  perfect second bike for me.  The Guzzi and I gained a lot of skills via the past nearly 12K miles:  experience has value.  Judgment and discernment and confidence all improved a lot.  Trumpet is not to be taken lightly.  Demands respect.  As do all motorcycles.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 09:26:49 PM »

lucydad

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 09:39:30 PM »
All,

One last thought before I forget.  Something I love and appreciate about both these bikes.

They are rare special editions.

The V7R, with its No. 181 plate, and made in Mandello del Lario", to me, makes it special.  And many times other riders have stopped me to admire the Guzzi, and ask about the bike, and such.  Something special there.

The STR-X, well the dealer told me they are rare.  Few imported to USA, and only one they expect to get in 2015.  And this might be the biggest motorcycle dealer in TEXAS.  And TEXAS is damn big.  Several guys in the dealership, and employees smiled and told me: most beautiful STR they had ever seen.  As I rode out an older guy chatted me up...uh, what is that?  Sounded familiar.

I like riding something not run of the mill.  For what it is worth, it is not a common HD, or Honda, etc.  Both bikes are special, hence "little goose" and "Mary Anne".

Thanks again Dusty for permission.  Uh, you know...you will NEVER hear the end of this.  hehehheheheheh

Ok, bedtime.  Will ride STRX to church, and enjoy my buddy Ed's reaction. 

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 09:44:10 PM »
 Greg , you may be a bit confused , it wasn't permission , twas manipulation . Ya gotta admit , pretty effective  ;D

Dusty

bpreynolds

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 07:33:39 AM »
Nice write-up.  I'll be curious to see where ya are on them both in 6 months.  I suspect their differences/compliments will only deepen.  My perceptions of my own Striple have changed quite a bit since purchase some 11 months or so ago, going from my idea of it being merely a toy to quite an applicable machine, though still quite and plenty different enough from my Guzzi.  In addition to the refinement on the newer engine and also the quickshifter, I am envious especially of your low slung exhaust.  Mine, that channels up beneath the seat and splits in rear looks cool but in truth can get warm on really hot days, still nowhere as hot as I've  experienced on "hot" bikes, but still warm enough that I definitely know it's there.  Low mount options exist for my 2010 model so maybe I'll invest someday but good on you for already having that as well on a stunning bike.  
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 09:35:14 AM by bpreynolds »

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 09:47:48 AM »
Best of luck with the bike.

FWIW, those types of crotch rockets all look the same to me.  Truimph, MV, Ducati, Aprilia etc.

All those sharp angles just don't do it for me.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

bpreynolds

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 10:39:43 AM »

All those sharp angles just don't do it for me.

Me neither.  But try and take mine.   ::(:+=copcar :wife: ;-T

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 10:50:39 AM »
Nice bike, and nice review! Now, you just need to look into a fender-elimination kit to remove the alien-like dangly bits at the back...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

lucydad

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 11:55:49 AM »
All,

Sunday it is and that means urban Houston "combat riding" down the notorious inner city Hillcroft.  STRX feels very manageable, predictable and such dealing with potholes, repairs, random cagers acts of chaos, lights and sharp turns and parking lot.  No issues.  Seat is just a tad higher than Guzzi, but no issues.  Sure enough someone in a hurry cut me off leaving church lot, quick brake and stop and foot down.  Easy peasey.

Here is my buddy Ed comparing two red, black and silver bikes:

Did my first fill up as light came on and dealer said don't delay.  Saw the man with the star.  Spectator dude was drawn like a fly, chatted me up, claimed he rides and is a mechanic, kept poking at my bike. Sheesh, come on dude.  Ok, ride home to Sugar Land, and swanned to the notorious highway six with dense traffic, lights, intersections.  Again, the STR is an excellent urban machine:  very easy, very relaxed.  

Tried out the quick shifter on an empty stretch of local road.  Pretty nifty little item!  Just leave throttle on, no clutch 2 to 3 to 4 to 5:  snick snick snick, and the engine has tons of torque and no lugging.  Fun, never had one before. 

Analog came to mind again comparing V7R to STRX:   Convair 580 with two big loud turbo props, and a Boeing 737 with those whisper smooth and quiet, yet powerful jet engines.  Gonna lunch with Ms. LD and Grandpa, then go put on another hundred miles.  Next weekend is predicted to be a three day rain washout.  It won't belong until the 500 mile service.  
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:00:59 PM by lucydad »

lucydad

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 05:36:19 PM »
All,

One last post on the Trumpet.  Trigonometry still works.  Given the side a and long side c, calculate the angle needed to fit. 

Answer is:

Took nap after church, fed grandpa, got him settled and took STRX out west for another 80 miles.  Odo says just shy of 190 miles.  Good start.
Seat is a bit slippery with leather pants.  Cagers particularly nasty and chaotic today, digitized off a C7 Corvette on 36 passing a line of cars doing maybe 120, coming right at me, and I dove to extreme right lane as he passed.  Jerk. 

Just love the Trumpet.  Noticed Little Goose turn a bit redder on the frame, and Mary Anne winked a blinker.  I think they will get along just fine.

Next project is to rig up the side and top bag on the V7R nice and secure.  Test fit camping gear.  Set up hubba hubba tent.  Figure out what else I need to camp. First camp run a short one to Brazos Bend, next one up NW by Brenham.  Little Goose will get plenty of miles this spring. 

Nephew and BIL talking about riding to COTA in Austin.  Might pal together and get a room or two.  Would ride the Guzzi over.  But two years ago the traffic was horrendous, lots of stop and go.  Pain, but it would be fun.  Thinking about it. 

Might have a beer.  Splendid day.  Will read the spaniel manual provided by the boys in Hinkley and figure out everything.  Will also check for loose stuff. Need to get some of the white chain lube. 

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 06:01:07 PM »

....out west for another 80 miles........digiti zed off a C7 Corvette on 36 Must have missed you...we (2 Norges) were on it twice today - out the long way thru Brookshire, packing on a 200 miler out to Brenham, Chappel Hill and back the long way

....talking about riding to COTA in Austin.  Thinking about it.  Do it!!  Will be fun...just have to avoid the MS 150 riders this time if they are on the same weekend.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 06:01:39 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Tazturtle

• Moto Guzzi - La moto la piu bella del mondo
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 06:52:23 AM »
Nice one! They are a great bike and it is amazing how Triumph have been able to extract so much power and smoothness out of the 675. Definitely a lot of fun, though also definitely not as relaxing to ride as the V7.

My wife has a 2014 that she has optioned with all the Triumph bodywork, genuine heated grips, seat and tankbags, Arrow muffler and a tail tidy. She loves it - though I have to say when comfort counts on long runs she always tries to swap for my 1200 Sport! You should try a big block Guzzi some time too - the top end is very addictive!

Julie removed the pillion pegs from hers for a much cleaner look. They are easy to replace (two bolts per side) and let's face it - there's not enough money in the world to get a sensible pillion on there!

Kurt

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:56:12 AM by Tazturtle »
2012 1200 Sport 8V Corsa SE
2011 V7 Racer #749 (RIP)

"Guzzi is about the engine. Guzzi's about torque. Guzzi's about enjoyment in the riding experience." Miguel Galuzzi

"The Guzzi 750 is what BMW airheads used to be.  Simple, direct machines for riders who enjoy the Zen of engines" Sign216

Offline swmckinley54

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 08:37:13 AM »
Hillcroft road in Houston? Going to church? That wouldn't be St. Thomas Moore Catholic Church would it?
Steven Mckinley
Austin, TX
2016 Eldorado

bpreynolds

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 08:42:46 AM »
How's that new triple doing?

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here