Author Topic: Jeremy Clarkson fired  (Read 34953 times)

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Jeremy Clarkson fired
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2015, 12:17:28 PM »
The BBC is a public funded politically left leaning organisation. The British public  pay £120 a year per household for the compulsory licence fee to watch it. They come under constant scrutiny by a  jealous printed press who would dearly love for it be be self funding with adverts every 15 minutes like other channels. As a consequence the corporation would have found it nigh on impossible to retain Clarkson without a shit storm of protests from all the self serving interests who are always looking to stick the knife in.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:21:57 PM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2015, 12:21:07 PM »
Some of the Top Gear episodes are extremely dangerous for the "Presenters".

How many Actors do their own stunts?

I find fault with the "Producer" for not anticipating the requests of the people doing the work.  Isn't that his job???

The "Producer" is a wimp who can't take a punch from a weak old man who just happens to be his top man.  I guess heavy construction projects are different.

Well at least Top Gear lasted longer than the Smother's Brothers (also cancelled for being Politically Incorrect).

You're trolling while fishing.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2015, 12:24:11 PM »
You're trolling while fishing.

Actually while NOT fishing  ;D Geez , this guy acted like a BIG RICHARD , how can anyone be surprised or defend his Prima Donna behavior , and furthermore , how does it really matter ?

Dusty

Penderic

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2015, 12:43:28 PM »
Lots of big and often self destructive egos in the media business!

I am very wary of those smiling, on- air persona (talking heads) that pretend to be trustworthy and neighborly.

The temptation for an immoral person in the show media business to take advantage of the situation is just too great.  :BEER:

Speaking of temptation, the BBC should also make some of their staff wear chastity belts!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:44:20 PM by Penderic »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2015, 12:43:28 PM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2015, 12:45:17 PM »
I don't think anyone is defending him.

I just think there's always more to the story.

So personally I'm lamenting the loss of the show.

Though as I said originally Clarkson did it to himself.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2015, 12:46:13 PM »
My first thought was who the hell is JC and why should I care?

Serves him right, there are plenty more who can step in and take over.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2015, 12:55:10 PM »
My first thought was who the hell is JC and why should I care?

Serves him right, there are plenty more who can step in and take over.

My first thought too.  Never have seen him; have read complaints about him over the years in the course of forum discussions.

But what a shocking development!   A pampered, whiney, overpaid Big Media star with a massive ego trashes his hotel or punches someone out because he was brought Fiji water instead of Perrier, or because the grapes weren't peeled to his liking.

Quick!   Get a special edition of the paper out!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Jeremy Clarkson fired
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2015, 01:03:49 PM »
there are plenty more who can step in and take over.

No, actually. That's the point. It's the chemistry of the presenters that really make the show.

There have been attempts to recreate it in other countries and in other formats, but they have all paled in comparison to this trio.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline roofus

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I must remember to cancel my turn signal!"
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »
I liked The Stig! He never punches anybody and he never mouths off!  . . . . . and he can drive!!!!!!
2010 V7 Cafe, 2013 V7 Special, 2013 Norton Commando 961SF, 2016 BMW R1200GS

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2015, 01:11:28 PM »
I liked The Stig! He never punches anybody and he never mouths off!  . . . . . and he can drive!!!!!!
Don't you remember the Stig's Chinese Cousin? He kicked James May "right in the plums'.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2015, 01:14:27 PM »
The Robin Reliant segment was one of the funniest I saw.
The top rated TV show in the US gets around 25 million viewers a week. Top Gear gets 350 million. It is far and away the most popular show on the telly in the world.
I tuned in about 5 years ago. My wife, no great fan of cars, watches (watched) it with me. She likes the humor. All three presenters are funny. Clarkson doesn't care for motorcycles much, but Hammond and especially James May are bike fans. And Hammond is the only one who likes American cars. They regularly trashed American cars and tourists. They barely escaped with their lives when the show came to the American south and they put anti-southern slogans on the cars. Same with a show in Argentina.
It is hard for me to believe the BBC will totally give up on Top Gear. It makes too much money for them. So I look for Clarkson to take a year off and then watch the boys return. And Clarkson's contract to have severe performance clauses in it.  
James May gets my vote for favorite presenter. especially after penning this Moto Guzzi piece.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/columnists/jamesmay/7590140/Hark-the-first-Moto-Guzzi-of-spring.html
1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 01:15:09 PM »
They'll milk the PR, and hire him back with an 'undisclosed settlement'. Everybody will be more popular and richer than ever.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

oldbike54

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 01:25:26 PM »
 Is there just no one else that can take this guy's place ? ::) I mean is he so uniquely talented that , oh say ALMOST ANYONE off the streets couldn't read the script and pretend to give a rat's patootie ? C'mon , I'll betcha there are at least 10 members on WG that could do a better job . Molly , Roper , Hagan ? I say give it to Rodekyll  or CJ750, both understand mechanical stuff , and both like cars AND bikes . Get Kev m to edit the tech stuff , bingo bango  :BEER:

Dusty
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:28:17 PM by oldbike54 »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 01:32:15 PM »
Is there just no one else that can take this guy's place ? ::)

It comes down to chemistry.

It's very rare in the entertainment industry that the sequel is as good or better than the original.

Think how many rock bands prosper without the original lineup, especially if the original lineup was only 3 and the one you are talking about was the front man.

Like trying to replace Geddy Lee in Rush.

CAN it be done? Probably, but everyone will always compare to the original and like it or not they are big shoes to fill.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2015, 01:33:30 PM »
I've watched the show a few times and just saw it as another example of weird British humor, where the controlled populace have no chance to fight against the MAN, so when they see someone get away with whatever they stupidly want to do, the fans love to see it happen.  :D

I did like that 1 show where he drives a 50cc enclosed 2 smoke scooter all over both outside and inside a building.  ;D   Pure fantasy.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2015, 01:37:20 PM »
 I have been in employment law for a lot of years and I can tell you that in any workplace, let alone a high-profile one like the BBC, if you sucker-punch a co-worker -- you're fired.  

I've seen it many times without a firing but what the hell do I know, I've only worked Construction since the 70's.

The firing and police become an issue only if the co-worker makes an issue of it.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

oldbike54

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2015, 01:39:19 PM »
It comes down to chemistry.

It's very rare in the entertainment industry that the sequel is as good or better than the original.

Think how many rock bands prosper without the original lineup, especially if the original lineup was only 3 and the one you are talking about was the front man.

Like trying to replace Geddy Lee in Rush.

CAN it be done? Probably, but everyone will always compare to the original and like it or not they are big shoes to fill.

Difference is Geddy Lee has talent  ~; The Tonight Show had a couple of hosts before Carson , the Daily Show had some guy before Stewart , and even Payton Manning has been replaced in Indiana .

Dusty

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2015, 01:40:29 PM »
I don't know who the Stig is now but he was Michael Schumacher for a few years. BTW, the doctors say Schumacher's severe head injury was caused by a helmet mounted Go Pro that, when he fell on his skis, smashed his skull in.
1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2015, 01:44:25 PM »
Difference is Geddy Lee has talent  ~; The Tonight Show had a couple of hosts before Carson , the Daily Show had some guy before Stewart , and even Payton Manning has been replaced in Indiana .

Dusty

Jack Parr was my favorite before Johnny Carson.  Carson was predictable........ ...Parr wasn't.  OMG, the 1st time the Smother's Brothers and Jonathan Winters were on Parr's show I thought I was going to die laughing!!   ;-T

oldbike54

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2015, 01:48:45 PM »

Jack Parr was my favorite before Johnny Carson.  Carson was predictable........ ...Parr wasn't.  OMG, the 1st time the Smother's Brothers and Jonathan Winters were on Parr's show I thought I was going to die laughing!!   ;-T

True , and Parr was brilliant , but most everyone between 48 and 65 thinks of Carson as the host . That is my point , anyone can be replaced , some of these Prima Donnas need to be reminded of that fact .

Dusty

190 Octane

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2015, 01:52:59 PM »
I think Comedy Central should take this opportunity to do a roast of Jeremy Clarkson, like they do any other celebrity after a scandal.  

I could see him being "roasted" by the Stig.  The Stig standing at the podium, arm crossed nodding his helmet covered head, then glaring at Clarkson, and kicking over a table or chair on his way off the stage.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Re: Jeremy Clarkson fired
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »

Dusty
You ignored my point about chemistry.

Ckarkson undeniably has talent and is credited with the current popularity of the show which he and a child hood friend essentially recreated.

The rest of your examples are of, essentially, one-man shows so chemistry was not part of the equation.

Though I will admit in all cases, TG included, the shows would not succeed without also having the hugely talented writers, producers etc. Still that didn't discount his talent.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2015, 01:59:47 PM »
Know who I'd like to see canned?  Whomever it is that decides on car or truck "of the year" in January of the model year.  I'd like to see CoTOTY awarded say three years later, after the true owner experience has been tabulated.

How about a show called "Car and Truck of the year before last!"  It would be a boon to the used vehicle buyer.

Winner Categories:
Survived 100,000 with only fluid, tire and brake pad changes.

No CEL, TPMS or ABS fails for 100,000 mile award!

Special awards for the under $50 headlight relamping (both sides)!

300,000 mile OEM exhaust system award!

Loser Categories:  (Maybe JC could be contracted to roast the losers and dump them in a shredder?)

Trans fail pre 100,000 miles, aka "D" means Don't Move, "R" means, Really, Don't Move award.

Top score in Service Writer "Never heard of that before", "They all do that" or "That's normal" tally BS, Search The Web award.

Five sets of pads and rotors in two years Don't Hold Me Back award.

Lifetime powertrain warranty (requires mandatory $5000 service every 36,000 miles) YMBFK Award.

Tobit
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:01:33 PM by Tobit »
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

oldbike54

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2015, 02:08:47 PM »
 Of course I have to admit something . have never watched the show and have no idea who this Clarkson guy is  ~; Oh wait , is he the fella that kept tipping over the Bond ? ;D Hell , I can do that  ::)

Dusty
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:11:40 PM by oldbike54 »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2015, 02:11:36 PM »
Of course I have to admit something . I have never watched the show and have no idea who this Clarkson guy is  ~; Oh wait , is he the fella that kept tipping over the Bond ? ;D Hell , I can do that  ::)

Dusty
You'd already admitted not having seen it when we spoke the other day...

But even on Percoset I couldn't see taking a cheap shot at you for it. ;)
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2015, 02:14:07 PM »
You'd already admitted not having seen it when we spoke the other day...

But even on Percoset I couldn't see taking a cheap shot at you for it. ;)

Cheap shots no problem  ;D Really kind of wondering when your memory would kick in after the drugs  :BEER:

Dusty

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2015, 02:51:37 PM »
Speaking of funny... Does anybody know the episode about the high line gambler that looses everything but his reliable car isnt and he blows his brains out? Is that how it goes?
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline samfrank

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2015, 03:53:37 PM »
While I'm not a regular viewer I found the shows I watched very entertaining. Typical British humor/sarcasm unlike that on this side of the lake (excluding shows such as The Daily Show). Think of Benny Hill! Compare TG to a piece of crap show like Counting Cars. What rubbish! While the end results are impressive the cast of CC are a bunch of moronic bozo's! I agree that the TG cast chemistry was one of the best parts of the show.
1973 Eldorado
2013 Norge - moving to Arizona to live with John.
2015 Yamaha FJR1300

Offline Irn

• Gosling
  • 2004 Breva750 2007 BMW F800ST 2006 Vespa GTS2500
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2015, 04:23:16 PM »
Enjoyed earlier episodes, frankly show has gotten stale, and predictable.  Clarkson is another media made blow hard, who in his realm is king.  Outside of celebs doing laps in the economy hatchback I will not miss the show.  If you need a weekly auto fix without paying for cable head over to Jay Leno's Garage on YouTube.
A gracious guy who loves cars and even has a Guzzi or two in his collection.

Offline motoguzziman

• New Egg
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2015, 04:37:25 PM »
Ok, after a day of  working, one of the TOP GEAR, behind the scenes , guys, fails to do his job, ie, make sure, there would be hot food available.
Big Bruha. No Big Deal !
The Broadcasters Buggering Children  ( BBC ) welcome anything , that diverts public attention, away from all their Left wing biased reporting, along with their  current  covering up of their part in P.I.E & Jimmy Savile & Cyril Smith.
It goes higher than that, but at the moment, the UK  SS  (security service ) is shutting down any & all whistleblowers who know of  sexual violation of minors, inside the BBC & Whitehall.
Directly threatened by one of the UK's top advocates, anything they say, will make them liable to prosecution, for breaching the Official Secrets Act !
Clarkson's minor gaffe, is seen as a godsend, by those vile perverts !
Takes the pressure off them, for a day or so.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 04:42:34 PM by motoguzziman »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here